Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-02-2008, 05:32 PM

The Pet Blood Bank

Just got this e-mail from them, thought I'd post it to let you all know of the areas they'll be visiting.

Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 06:42 PM
There is one just up the road from me, not sure whether to go or ask my own vets about it. I'm not sure if they do it themselves actually as it's a vet hospital...

I did enquire a while ago because i'd like both dogs to become donors.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Vets do donor sessions, but there is some points for the dogs to be donors.
My dogs are under ashfield house vet hospital and they run sessions.I have asked in the past and tob can't due to his drugs, but hol can, she is big enough and healthy.
Ours would be derby, closer than Bulwell.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 06:50 PM
I'm with Ashfield House too, lol!

Both dogs fit all the requirements, only possible issue is that Jed is overweight, not sure if that would affect it.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Don't think so, when i asked tob was 88 kg's but then found out he has health issues and drugs, which took him off the list.
Now i'm wondering if i have ever seen you in the vets.......lol
There on saturday with holly.....say hello!
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I'm with Ashfield House too, lol!

Both dogs fit all the requirements, only possible issue is that Jed is overweight, not sure if that would affect it.
They give every potential donor dog a health check Leanne, even a blood analisys to check liver functions etc; and it's all done free of charge, the only chriteria a donor has to meet is weight, they have to be over 25kg, and also have been wormed and treated for fleas, the vet pictured on the link is a very nice lady, she takes her time and reasures both dog and owner.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Our two boys Fleet and Flash are blood donors.

Apparently vets have to have a special licence to store blood and not many of them do it. They have been called in a couple of times to help out in an emergency. Fleet was very laid back about it and Flash got very excited. The only problem was that the blood was taken from their necks and they arrived home with great shaven areas which upset Mum because she used to show them and thought the vet could have been more considerate especially as they were not paid. (Not unless you count sausages !!)

Thalice-Malice
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 08:08 PM
I know the dog has to be over 25kg but do they have to be between a certain age as well?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post
I know the dog has to be over 25kg but do they have to be between a certain age as well?
It says that
The dogs must be between one and eight years old depending on their breed.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Thalice View Post
Our two boys Fleet and Flash are blood donors.

Apparently vets have to have a special licence to store blood and not many of them do it. They have been called in a couple of times to help out in an emergency. Fleet was very laid back about it and Flash got very excited. The only problem was that the blood was taken from their necks and they arrived home with great shaven areas which upset Mum because she used to show them and thought the vet could have been more considerate especially as they were not paid. (Not unless you count sausages !!)

Thalice-Malice
Hi Thalice,
All of my dogs donated in November, I asked the PBB vet to shave as little as posible, which she did, however, the PBB is a charity, they take the blood to their central bank and store it, plasma can be stored for 5 years, red blood cells can only be stored for 40 days.

Any vets practice can call on the PBB reserves if they need blood for an op, emergencies are a bit diff though, all my dogs can be called on to donate 24/7, this is optional BTW, but it's really good scheme and I wish them well, they only started the scheme here in Scotland last summer, that day they got 14 donors.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >