Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2016, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
Me and my boyfriend own a 1 year old labrador, and we have very different ideas about how much exercise it needs. His 2 km walks (the dog is off leash for half of it) are wayy too short in my opinion, and I feel like the dog need more exercise. Ive asked this question at a norwegian dog forum Im on, and everyone there agrees with me in this. He however seem to think us norwegians are a bit hysterical with our dogs (hes english proud bastards hehe), and that american and english dog owners are more sensible, so, in the name of science I thought Id ask you guys here

So whats your opinion; is a 2 km walk a day enough for a labrador?

(To clarify, I do ofc walk the dog too, we take turns, and when I do the walks are much longer. So the dog does get some exercise, but I still dont feel like its enough, in total)
One of the labs biggest problems is that their minds do not have a food shutoff switch, they will eat all day if you let them, and this often leads to obesity, that no amount of exercise can help with.
perriejinnie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2016, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I don't think there is such a thing as too much exercise for a labrador! They are a very active breed and will run all day given the chance.
They are very prone to become fat due to their genes. You need to have proper diet plan for them and exercise so that they don't gain weight. I have seen most of the Labradors overweight.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2016, 08:26 PM
I would say 2kms is definitely not enough exercise for an average Labrador. As well as upping exercise by a considerable amount, you could also look into gundog training, swimming, scent work and a myriad of other dog activities that your Lab would probably love.

Physical exercise is of course vital but mental stimulation is equally as important especially in working breeds.
perriejinnie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2016, 07:19 AM
I would also like to add that Labrador eating habits are slightly different from its other breed. You may think of giving your dog meals twice a day, your Labrador may require his meals divided into many portions.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2