Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
In the original post both dogs were off lead I think.

Rather than shooing the other dog away---which will obviously inflame the situation as pups get very hyped up if they are 'shooed'. Catching or controlling your own dog and as C and D said walking away with yours on lead maybe.

I have issues with loose dogs and Benj on lead and I simply ask the people to get their dog away---and they do. Usually with a good grace but occasionally whist muttering under their breath. One woman told me I ought to take athyroid pill when I suggested she removed her entire boxer from the faces of my three on lead dogs! I mentioned training as agood idea as well. Since then she grabs her dog and stalks off whenever she sees me!

Off lead we are all fine, its just mine on lead at the gate and dogs coming through the bottleneck off lead.

rune

You make it sound so easy sadly that is not the case.

If I call Millie back quite often the other dog then proceeds to chase after her so I can't get her back till the owner gets their dog back.

If she is on the lead and is chased its very unpleasent because quite often all the owner does is yell at their dog while im left with my dog who by now is scaired of the other dog. This is were leads fail as a source of controll. If a big dog charges at a little dog on a lead reguardles how well trained they are it will create a nasty experience.

A greyhound type dog once chased her down four times while she was trying desperately to get back to me and pinned her and rolled her. The owner had a lead and and I was yelling at her to leash her dog as hers was hurting mine with its boistress behaviour.
It took ages for her to get over and she just walked off without so much as a sorry and I was almost in tears after that because I felt so angry. I am so glad Millie was not on a lead as she would have been much worse off.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:36 PM
I feel so sorry for poor Millie, my Mollie is very nervous of bigger dogs and we have had problems like that too. Really upsetting and leaves her more scared than she was before. I would say though a lead is good because then I can use my stick or body to get between her and the offending dog. If I had to get to her first it would be worse for her I think.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3