Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Can I ask How common is Pyometra in bitches under 5 years,Meg isn't 2 till June,I don't know true it is but I thought Pyo was more uncommon in bitches under 5 years.
Ok thanks guys,

Her temp is normal,would it be raised if she had pyo?
Right,This is going to sound yuk,
I have just wiped her button with toilet paper and she has a brownish red,thicky mucus discharge......

I think I am now fearing the worst,I have such a sick feeling she has either has an infection or open pyo.

I have spoken to our vet who seems to think the same and because she has a discharge he will see her first thing tomorrow but if she detorates tonight to ring him and take her to the surgery.

Hi Sal , hope you and Meg are ok..
Yes Pyo is more usual in older bitches, it has been found that after each successive season, changes in the lining of the uterus make it more susceptible to Pyo.

Having said that a bitch of any age can get Pyo following a season . Think of a bitch in season, the passage from the virginia to the uterus is open and accessible to bacteria and the warm moist uterus a perfect breeding ground for bacteria.

There are symptoms for Pyo, panting/depression/refusing to eat/drinking more/tender tummy/discharge of mucus tinged with brown. But in some instances there are no symptoms at all particularly with a 'closed' Pyo, or when the they do eventually become evident it is too late and the toxins have spread causing septicemia.

I have lost two bitches over the years with Pyo and saved a third. I have also managed to save a number of bitches for friends by spotting a likely problem.
With any unspayed bitch I would always advise erring on the side of caution if it is sensed there is something not quite right. It is better to get a vets bill and look silly for fussing than to lose a bitch.

Hope all will be well.x
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 08:37 AM
How is she this morning? Hope she had a good night.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Ok an update,
Meg is currently at the vets on an IV Drip,she is having a scan and bloods taken this morning.

The vet seems to suspect Pyo,we will know more at lunchtime when they ring us,I got back home and burst into tears.

At the moment it's not looking good
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Oh hun, sending healing vibes and keeping everything crossed for her.

Take care xx
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Oh Sal, I am so sorry but hang on in there. She is in the best place and I am sure they will do their utmost to help her. My girl was only about 9 months when she had it, and I thought I was going to lose her as she was so ill. She recovered and lived to the grand old age of 15. I really do hope things work out for her. Sending *hugs* to you.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 08:53 AM
oh sal....

Glad she is at the vets now..she is in the best place....

HUGS to you and yours...

Alex
xxxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 08:56 AM
So sorry to hear Sal...............Healing vibes to Meg are being sent to you from us. Big hugs xxxxx I'm sure she is in good hands.
Teddysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Oh how awful for you. Positive vibes and healing thoughts are sent from me and Teddy. I'll be thinking of you both all day.

Julie and Teddy
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Oh no Sal

Megs in the best place, you'll all be in my thoughts today.
A1schnauzer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Poor Meg, I hope you get some news from the vets soon. It is awful when they are ill. My youngest had seasons at 6 and 9 months and she was such a grump with both of them and went completely off her food. She then had a phantom pregnancy which didn't help her mood any.

Fingers crossed for good news

Lyn
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »