View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 10:03 AM

Puppy Exercise (Split from Dog Walks section)

Originally Posted by jess View Post

I have my own little theory on puppy legs, and how much exercise they need (it's quite obvious when they tire), and I also think that the 'too much exercise' quote comes from bad breeders passing the buck to owners. If I over do it and have a cripple I will only have myself to blame, however I assure you that I am well aware of every move that little dog makes.
I must admit I have no idea whether over-excercising has been proved to damage pup's long term health or whether it is merely 'precautionary advice'.

However, without wanting to spoil your photo thread I would just say two things
(1) although border collies are supposedly intelligent dogs, they are thick as thick when it comes to their own health - they will keep going until they drop. Most border collies could have 4 broken legs and would still want to carry on going - they just don't know when to stop.

(2) if you are wrong in your theory you may "only have yourself to blame", but it is your dog that will suffer. I know that you only got him as an experiment, but I'm sure you still care a great deal for him and given your strong feelings about correct feeding for the health of your dog, I am really suprised that you are prepared to take the risk with his future health unless you are 100% certain that it won't do him any harm. Are you really that certain?

Anyway, sorry, didn't really want to start a debate on your photo thread - perhaps we should start a new one about puppy exercise?
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 11:51 PM
I believe currently thinking is that puppies should get limited exercise, and I disagree slightly (obviously logic should apply)

I have pulled this quote from another thread as it was off topic and suggested that we start a new one, which I have done, hope it is ok to post your comment in here Hali.

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I must admit I have no idea whether over-excercising has been proved to damage pup's long term health or whether it is merely 'precautionary advice'.

However,
(1) although border collies are supposedly intelligent dogs, they are thick as thick when it comes to their own health - they will keep going until they drop. Most border collies could have 4 broken legs and would still want to carry on going - they just don't know when to stop.

(2) if you are wrong in your theory you may "only have yourself to blame", but it is your dog that will suffer. I know that you only got him as an experiment, but I'm sure you still care a great deal for him and given your strong feelings about correct feeding for the health of your dog, I am really suprised that you are prepared to take the risk with his future health unless you are 100% certain that it won't do him any harm. Are you really that certain?

1. I am aware that the collie has a high pain threshold, which is why I said over and over that I watch him like a hawk, signs of tiredness from him include sitting down, most pups in my experience are much less subtle when they are tired.

2. 'Only got him as an experiment'. Perhaps that was the wrong thing to say on Dosgey. It sounds terrible to have it said like that, although I am sure it wasn't mean in a derogatory fashion Hali. The 'experiment' was to do with behaviour, it does NOT include taking a risk on his developing joints, at all. I would not take the risk and do not believe that I am putting him at risk with the exercise he is currently getting, although I am aware that other people would think it was alot for a dog of his age. All my pups have had the same treatment, as I mentioned only this one doesn't show tiredness as easily.

My personal feeling is that the theory of 'too much exercise = hip displaysia/bad joints' comes from bad breeders passing the buck to the owners.
Exercise on soft ground can HELP bone growth and make bones stronger. Muscles and bones that are not used waste away (just ask my brother, in a wheelchair since 15 years old).

No I am not 100% certain of anything, but I do rely on my logic, for most things, this being one of them.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 12:01 AM
as with diet, it could be useful to look at good-old canis lupus pups again, but as you say.. years of selective breeding may have made that idea useless.. has there not been any research on this? our youngest did have a fair bit of excercise but as you say, its obvious when they're tired and so you know when its best for them to have a rest!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
as with diet, it could be useful to look at good-old canis lupus pups again, but as you say.. years of selective breeding may have made that idea useless.. has there not been any research on this?
but I thought there was only 0.02% that was only behavioural

I have never found any research, just hearsay, over and over. Going to have a look in my 'genetics and social behaviour of the dog' Fuller (and scott?) book, they did alot of research on the 500 or so dogs they had in the 70's, I don't think they studied exercise from what I can remember.
As I said I think it comes down to common sense...

Talking about becoming Dysplastic...
'Research has also shown that giving a diet too high in protein and calcium also exacerbates the condition Rapid growth in a young puppy also contributes, and, in most cases, the rapid growth rate is directly related to feeding a high calorie diet to puppies. Over supplementation of calcium has likewise been shown to be a major factor in the development of skeletal disease in puppies.

Exercise is the other main contribution. Many people over-exercise young puppies, or give them the wrong type of exercise. The wrong type of exercise can include forced running for any distance and too much exercise on tarmac or other hard surfaces. Up to at least six months of age, exercise on hard surfaces should be kept at a minimum. Correct exercise for puppies includes running and playing in the garden or in a park....''

Yet many foods add EXTRA calcuim, I have seen many litters where some dogs grow bigger faster on certain foods (not naming, but if you want to know...)
I firmly believe exercise is not the only reason, and genetics probably has a big part to play... (although some research suggests that vit c can overwrite bone disease present in parents)
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 12:28 AM
"but I thought there was only 0.02% that was only behavioural "

hehe.. i didn't say that.. promise!

i had a quick look but i can't find anything on the database i have... just some specific studies on particular dogs already with health probs..
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 01:06 AM
I don't think any one factor is to blame for HD etc

I think the reasoning behind limiting pups exercise, especially in large breeds that grow quicker, is that it' better to eliminate all possible avenues of becoming dysplastic, rather than taking the chance !
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 09:07 AM
hope it is ok to post your comment in here Hali.
absolutely Jess

It is a subject I'm genuinely interested in. I've trawled through pages and pages on the web about exercising puppies.

Everything I read agreed that over-exercising was bad, though I couldn't find one article to say exactly what problems this would cause - it was all just general 'it harms joints and muscles'.
Most of these articles where on breeders or breed club websites and dog forums - there seemed to be nothing from vets/health research.

Articles on HD seem to be saying that over-exercising can't cause HD, though it would aggreviate it in pups already with it.

So, is it an old wives tale or is there genuine medical evidence that over-exercising a puppy will cause health problems and if so, what health problems?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2008, 09:14 AM
I believe currently thinking is that puppies should get limited exercise, and I disagree slightly (obviously logic should apply)
I don't think that is the current thinking as I understand
it.

It is excessive on lead exercise that is thought to cause problems in growing puppies . When puppies are playing and walking off lead they will stop when tired and rest often dropping and falling asleep on the spot.

I agree with Hali's second point, I personally think '4-6' hours either on or off lead is far to much for a growing puppy not yet 4 months old (Ithink this is the age of your puppy Jess but no doubt you will correct me if I am wrong) .
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 09:18 AM
I think that OVER exercising, logically, would harm a pups or childs legs, however I think that would be very hard to do unknowingly. We know when we have reached physical exhaustion, as do youngsters.
I do mini agility with Louis, but I wouldn't stick him over proper jumps as jumping like this is un-natural (even for adults) until he is older.
I would argue that a dog that isn't used to jumping, who is suddenly jumped and jumped hard would be also subject to joint and bone problems. A better way would be to start youngish and build up slowly until you have built strong bones and structure.

So I am not walking a 14 week puppy for 4 hours, I am walking a 14 week old youngster who from an early age was allowed to run and build up his muscle, until he was quite able to cope with a walk like this.
Any 14 week pup off the street would probably not make a 4 hour walk, or a one hour for that matter.
I am going to state here again that I am watching for signs of tiring, and had a rucksack with me to carry him, but it was un-necessary.
He has never been walked to the point of physically exhaustion, so I do not feel that logically there is any damage being done.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
absolutely Jess

It is a subject I'm genuinely interested in. I've trawled through pages and pages on the web about exercising puppies.

Everything I read agreed that over-exercising was bad, though I couldn't find one article to say exactly what problems this would cause - it was all just general 'it harms joints and muscles'.
Most of these articles where on breeders or breed club websites and dog forums - there seemed to be nothing from vets/health research.

Articles on HD seem to be saying that over-exercising can't cause HD, though it would aggreviate it in pups already with it.

So, is it an old wives tale or is there genuine medical evidence that over-exercising a puppy will cause health problems and if so, what health problems?
Hi Hali over exercising a small puppy is thought to affect the growth plates which haven't yet closed, I understand the growth plates start to close between 6-16 months depending on the size of the breed , small breeds mature faster and I understand their growth plates close earlier than those in larger breeds .
Over exercising is thought to contribute to a number of joint problems.

Exercise
Puppies are active and will seem never to tire – however we must not allow them to over
exercise on their growing bones and joints. We would advise that your puppy gets about 20
minutes of exercise twice daily until about 6-8 months old. This is particularly important in larger
breeds that can be predisposed to joint disease in later life. Large breed dogs should be restricted on
stairs and from jumping up as this puts stress on their developing hip joints. Small breed dogs
should not be allowed to jump down from furniture as they can fracture bones in their forelimbs
when they have open growth plates
http://www.goodcompanionsvets.co.uk/...nformation.pdf
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »