View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2007, 02:22 PM

Urgent Help!!!!! (Bitch and pups. Possible eclampsia?)

Ok, Poppy had pups on Friday, since having them she's not been a happy bunny at all, nothing like she was with her first litter, I've not been able to touch the pups without her going for me.

We took her to the out of hours vet yesterday as she was full of milk and wouldn't let me touch her.

Vet gave her a sedation injection, with tablets to continue at home.....

The tablets are 25mg ACP.........yesterday she had a sort of fit 3 hours after the injection, legs went out rigid behind her, tail went stiff over her back and she collapsed. This morning we gave her one tablet (vet said two) but I didn't want to risk it if it was the pills......well she just went out for a wee and collapsed again with the same symptoms.

Do you think this is a reaction to the medication, or could it be eclampsia, we also lost a pup in the night with another not looking so good at the moment too, do you think it could all be related????

Just waiting for the emergency vet to call back....will let you know what he says.

Thanx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Hmm difficult to know. Fits and collapsing can happen with eclampsia. Did your vet not take a blood test to see what her calcium levels are like? She has hot sore boobs as well doesn't she, that could be why she's going for you?
Hope the vet can sort her out but I'd be very wary giving ACP to a nursing bitch.
Please keep us updated and thinking of you.
Becky
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Ok, have spoken to the vet, different one from yesterday, and she said to STOP the ACP immediately, she asked why she was on them, and why this certain drug as she thought it wasn't used any more???? She said it was definitely a reaction to the drugs, although I'm still watching carefully for eclampsia too, have seen it once and pray I never see it again, but I am prepared, I have a huge bottle of Collo cal D

When she was in labour she was given lots of calcium injections and oxytocin to help labour, so I hope by over doing it hasn't also had a bad reaction on her.

We have to take her back tomorrow morning, so hopefully I'll get some answers!

It just makes me so mad, we put all our trust and faith in the vets so our animals don't suffer don't we.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2007, 03:41 PM
I know. I hope she settles down now and all is OK with her and the pups.
Becky
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2007, 03:56 PM
I hope Poppy is going to be ok, all the best.
Solitaire
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-07-2007, 03:57 PM
I had a bitch on the verge of exclampsia once it was only the fact I pumped her full of calcium liquid that stopped it, and as for the vet giving her ACP, that is terrible, you should complain very strongly.

Hope Poppy is better soon
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Do you think she could have mastitis? When Bramble had her litter she had her check up one day and was so ill the next day I rushed her to the vet, she had a really high temperature and huge mass had developed in one of her teats, I realised something was wrong as she was just laying in her bed not interested in the pups or anything, she wouldn't eat or drink. He gave her some A/B injections and some A/Bs to take and she was much better that same day.

ACP is a sedative, I don't understand why a vet would prescribe that to a bitch that has just whelped.

I do hope you manage to get her sorted, such a pity about the baby puppy.

Big hugs, Sheree xx
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2007, 04:01 PM
We've been thinking the same thing about vets too lately, but after Maggie pulling through her illness in their care it's restored our faith a little, I think from problems we've had in the past, for anything important we will ask for a specific vet as there are a couple at ours we trust and like how they handle our dogs (there are a lot of temps who have been known to mess up a little in our experience) It may sound awful as I wouldn't have liked people going to other groomers when I started out just because I lacked experience but our dogs health is paramount. I'm sure your girl will go on to have a problem free time raising her little ones but it sounds like you're prepared just in case. Good luck and keep us updated, there's a wealth of knowledge on here to help you out, and at least your girl didn't have to have the c section you anticipated so that's one good thing.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2007, 04:44 PM
I hope she is feeling better soon.
Stupid vet what hell was he/she thinking.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2007, 05:20 PM
She seems ok at the moment, no more funny episodes, still a bit grumpy but not as bad as before, hopefully these pills will wear off soon and we'll have our Poppy back, and not the zombie we had yesterday and this morning.

Puppy is still hanging on, just very quiet, I've been giving her drops of glucose water, to keep her strength up, just hope it's doing some good.

Don't worry we have a vets appointment in the morning, I'm taking back the 5 tablets we haven't used and will insist on a refund, then I want an explanation as to why they were given in the first place.

When we arrived at the vets, the first thing he did was put a muzzle on her....now I know she's stroppy when her pups are near by, but when they're not in sight she's her normal placid self, I asked if was really necessary, he said yes because he needed his hands for the next patient I took it off and put my face next to hers while he examined her and gave her 2 injections and she didn't grumble once, he then said 'oh she's a lovely little thing isn't she'
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »