View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:05 AM
I've just seen this You must have been so worried. I'm glad he's ok and I hope he feels better soon.
Poor little guy. And poor you!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2005, 12:06 AM
MC did you see this post yesterday from CC re the alergic reaction Lily had yesterday on her face ? See picture of oedema on her face...

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/swo...zle_23496.html

Amy has had a similar problem in the past, I could actually see her head swelling before my eyes, it was so scary and the first time it happened was on a sunday night when we were on holiday so no vet..the main thing to watch for is the tongue swelling and throat closing but that happens almost immediately after contact with the substance. I now keep antihistamine in the house (from the vet), once a dog has had an alergic reaction to a substance he will do so if he meets it again.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:08 AM
We did get to speak to the vet but he didn't seem to think it warranted us bringing him in yet So I guess we have to trust him on this, in a few moments I will be setting up camp downstairs with our trusty dog just to make sure he doesn't have any problems throughout the night.

We were thinking just like you too - still we've had two conversations with them over the course of the evening and it's still the same thing.

At least he is no longer hyperactive which makes me think that the pain in the swelling must be lesser.

Will keep you posted. Just going to check on him to see how he is looking.

Speak to you later.

x
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Sounds alot like what happened with Keena, we still don't know what caused it but it happened after when we had finished a walk in the forest, when she got in the truck she was a little swollen around her eye, 10 mins later when we got home it was swollen right shut...

She had a couple of injections etc, anti inflammatories etc...The good thing was after she received treatment the swelling went down very quickly within about 12hrs.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:10 AM
No I didn't, I'll have a read of it in a few minutes, and I agree we will need to keep antihistamine in the house from now on, will pick some up tomorrow.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Minihaha
MC did you see this post yesterday from CC re the alergic reaction Lily had yesterday on her face ? See picture of oedema on her face...

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/swo...zle_23496.html

Amy has had a similar problem in the past, I could actually see her head swelling before my eyes, it was so scary and the first time it happened was on a sunday night when we were on holiday so no vet..the main thing to watch for is the tongue swelling and throat closing but that happens almost immediately after contact with the substance. I now keep antihistamine in the house (from the vet), once a dog has had an alergic reaction to a substance he will do so if he meets it again.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:15 AM
Good luck for tonight...I know you will be on tender hooks...Hugs for Fern and I hope things are much better by morning.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Just checked on Fern, he still looks really swollen He let out a very big sigh like he was depressed.

I just don't know really, does anyone know how long it takes for swelling to go down without any medication?

Thanks Mys, appreciate the sentiments.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

21-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Hi M/C just reading thu as you posted, but I`d have him at the vet to be honest, can you take him to your own now?

Hes had swelling, bleeding gums & upset tum right?

I can`t say how long it`d take to go down without meds, but I know its not pleasant having swelling on the face
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 07:50 AM
I hope he is feeling better this morning! That must have been really scarey!
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

21-11-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
Hi guys

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you all.

As SB said Fern is in no danger, just incredibly swollen all over his face.

This was what he was looking like when we first noticed something was wrong...(it then developed into his left eye being swollen shut)

We have been advised to monitor him over the course of this evening to ensure he doesn't have any respiratory problems in connection with the reaction.

We have settled him into his crate and will be checking on him every 10 minutes. We will sleep downstairs with him tonight just to make sure that he is okay.

Still not sure what has caused this but he's back on rice for the meantime as his tummy is upset, and the teething has caused his gums to bleed.

All in all not the most pleasant experiences for our wee chap.

Thanks for caring guys, will give the all clear email tomorrow - optimism is a wonderful thing
Hi again M/C posted the other 1 quick but remembered the time so you can`t do anything just yet

My bonnies had swelling to her face 3/4 times in the past, she had a boxers head & no neck, the last time it happened twice in same wk, vet gave me injections to keep at home to give in case it happened again We`ve never found out the cause either
Theres no knowing really how long it`ll take to go down, it looks a pretty severe reaction so at least a few days I`d say. Like I said I`d take him to your own vet when he opens & while there see what cover he does for an emergency.
Poor Fern looks really miserable doesn`t he but it will go down with meds

Whats with the upset tum, when did that start or is it ongoing from last wk?

And the bleeding gums are teething so not related right got it now
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »