View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:03 AM
I am so sorry your vet isn't being very helpful at a time like this, I wish I lived nearer and could come and help you.

Our vets are so kind and compassionate, I find it hard to understand one who isn't.

You are not an inconvenience, you have Selkie's health at stake and your vet should be more help.

Take care and all our thoughts are with you, can you not have a sickie on thursday.... not ideal I know but....
Or ring a different vet and explain the situation, I'm sure some vet will help you.

xxxx
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:15 AM
I feel so sorry for you and Selkie, my old GS went through the same type of things at the end, she didn't know she was doing the toilet and when she realised she wasn't happy at all, that in its self broke my heart, Selkie has had a good long life with you, your right its better to put Selkie to sleep while you can still say goodbye...when my wee shar pei had to go, she looked like she had dementia but it was poison in her system basically causing her to look like she was blind and fall over,when I took her to the vet for the last time I had said I wouldn't put her to sleep while she could still wag her tail, when Michaelwent for an injection of steroids she had a wee moment of lucidity and wagged her tail, I was in bits,Michael came through and I asked if Putting her to sleep was thr right decision, he said yes, if she were his dog there were no guarantees, he would put her to sleep, I said but she wagged her tail, and Michael said better she goes wagging her tail knowing you Elaine than to go not knowing anything...its the worst decision ever to have to make, you know Selkie, you know when shes had enough...
My thoughts are with you Magpye, hugs to Selkie xx
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:57 AM
This is so sad to read this.
It is never an easy decision, whichever one you make.
To be honest, I would not put them through that anymore, not at that age. I would rather let them go and be free of pain. You know your dog and you know deep in your heart what is the right thing to do. Why let them suffer any longer then needed. We have to be selfless and think of them instead of ourselves !!!
please go to a different vet who has more understanding for our animals, instead of thinking of the coppers..
Thinking of you. xx
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Thank you all for your support. I contacted the vet and complained about the way I felt I had been treated. The practice manager was very understanding, she apologised for the locum, who she said is newly trained and is somewhat nervous still of giving bad news or wrong advice. She agreed to see Selkie in her lunch time. Selkie went in at 12pm and the vet gave her a full exam. She told me all the possible drug options for her dementia, and incontinence. She listened to me and how I felt and agreed that it could only really be about managing her medical conditions and keeping her comfortable, there was nothing we could do to reverse her 15 years of ageing.

Selkie was food obsessed silly stubborn old Selkie to the end. I gave her a piece of chocolate covered shortbread, some prawn crackers and about a dozen mini markies in the waiting room (she always wanted chocolate and clearly thought it was worth the 15 year wait), she had already had a breakfast of half a chicken and two sausages. When we went into the vets office, after checking her over and talking to me about what was wrong and why I wanted her put to sleep. The vet gave her a little sedative to make her sleepy and comfortable, but all it did to selkie was lift the pain away enough that she was a bit brighter than I have seen her for a long time, she actually recognised me, which she hasn't done for months and tried to lick my face, she recognised Mum who had come with me and went over to her for a cuddle, then she pottered round the vet bed in the vets office and rifled through the bin, typical Selkie! The vet came back in and gave selkie some more sedation in the hope we could get her to settle and lie down peacefully for the injection and she left us again. I tried to get her to settle on the bed the vet had put on the floor next to me, but you could tell that the high dose of pain medication and sedative the vet had given her was making her feel high or drunk and naughty, I called her to me where I was sat on the floor and we cuddled while Selkie giggled about the world... then she decided to flump over my lap for a cuddle and the vet came in with the nurse to shave her leg for the final injection. Selkie licked the vets hands and to distract her I offered her the rest of the markies as she was given the injection she excitedly wolfed down three markies and her head just dropped as she went for the forth. she passed peacefully in my arms.

I came home and took Kismet and Pharaoh to the woods for a long walk. Mum and I talked about Selkie's antics in her younger days.

Goodbye my Selkie, My angel, my bear. I don't what I will do without you by my side.

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 02:08 PM
I`m so sad for you...
but your lovely dog is at peace now. Well done for making her end so gentle.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm so sorry that your beautiful girl has had to leave you, but am glad that you had the time to spend those last moments with her and let her know how much you loved her.

Thinking of you xxx

Run free at the bridge darling Selkie xxx
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2011, 02:12 PM
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Im so sorry for your loss, but your love shone through xxx

RIP Selkie, run free now xx
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 02:26 PM
So sorry for your loss but it sounds like she went peacefully x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-06-2011, 02:26 PM
You did the right thing for Selkie it has brought tears to my eyes reading about her and that 4th markie. Thats how Ollie went eating chicken and sausage and ham.

I am glad you were treated with more respect eventually.

Run free at the bridge Selkie
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »