View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Oh Taz, I don't think you should be feeling an inconveniance.
You are paying for the service of the vet and if they have any compassion they will understand your wishes.

Oh how I feel for you at this dreadful time. Please give Selkie a cuddle from me and hugs to you.
When I next look in I hope there will be something more positive to read.
x
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 08:07 AM
So sorry to hear this; I really feel for you.

When our adored Laddie, Rough Collie, was 12, he grew very ill. In the end, he had to be PTS and in our case, the vet actually made the decision; he said it would be cruel for us to try and take the dog back home and let this carry on.

I think the vet's practice is being very unhelpful to you and I'm really hoping that by the time you post again, they will have stepped up and given you some more time and help.

If not, then is there another vet's practice in the area that might help? When we had to take Laddie in, we took him somewhere else as our usual vet was away.

I really feel for you and your beautiful Selkie. Please let us know what happens and never forget that you are doing the best you can for your beloved girl, and that is all any of us can ever do.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 08:40 AM
I could take her for you in the day if it`s not too long a drive for you? I`m in Southend.
I`d be happy to.
But I can`t help feeling you need to approach a different vet because the one you have is frankly pants.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-06-2011, 09:02 AM
How many of us have been in this situation. The last thing you want is a vet making things difficult for you. You need a more sympathetic vet who is supportive with your decision when you need it. So sorry it's a very distressing time for you and I don't understand this vet's attitude.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm so sorry to read this, you're already at your wits end because of the situation with your darling girl, to be treated like this by your vets is just dreadful, and when this is over I would seriously consider looking for an alternative.

When I knew Leon was about to leave us I just turned up at my vets when they opened in the morning, I was sobbing my heart out, they took one look at me, ushered us into the room in front of those people with appointments and gave Leon the peace that he needed, I was also allowed to remain with him for as long as I needed, they were truly wonderful to us both. This is the kind of treatment we need when our hearts are breaking, not the kind of way you have, unfortunately, been treated.

My heart goes out to you and I truly hope that you manage to get something sorted xxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-06-2011, 09:07 AM
I too feel you are being treated very badly.

This is such a hard decision for us and a heartbreaking thing to have to do. The last thing you need is to be treated in this way and Selkie.

I would ask around at some other vets do you have any others nearby ?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-06-2011, 09:28 AM
This is just so sad and I think everything has already been said that I could say. I just hope that Selkie can get the peace she needs, and you also, the peace that you need, knowing that she can finally run free.

Cyber hugs for you.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 09:36 AM
I would suggest you get a second opinion from a different vet. It does not seem fair to put an eldery dog through so
much. Hugs to you both. xx
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 09:40 AM
What a really horrible situation I really feel for you and could kick the vet practice you are dealing with. Not only are they disregarding Selkie, but your feelings as well. It really isn't nice to have made the decision and then be mucked around like you have been.

I am sure another vet would come out and be more understanding. I am actually quite gobsmacked that a vet wanted to put her through all those tests at her age. Poor girl We lost a pointer a couple of years ago, and our vet at the time, wanted to send her for an mri scan at a different practice. Not only would this stress her out, what exactly would it have told us that we didn't already know. We knew she was nearing the end of her days.

I really hope you get this resolved very soon for both your sakes.

Helen
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:02 AM
I am so sorry for your situation Magpie. Definitely I would find another vet. If a vet is prepared to put Selkie through the tests you mention, under anaesthetic, at her age and in her condition, my opinion is that the vet is thinking of the money and not your dog. You are the one that knows Selkie best and have her welfare paramount. Vets are there to support owners as well as treat animals and I am very surprised that your vet seems so unfeeling. When a dog has had a good life and comes near to the end of life, then extending the life in discomfort and unhappiness for dog and owner is pointless and unnecessary. I would also not use a vet who was not prepared to visit for things like this - definitely change your vet. I am so sorry for what you and Selkie are having to go through.
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »