View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2011, 10:56 PM
What a heartbreaking thread I agree with the others - only you can decide how long to keep her with you, it's not for your vet to say.

My thoughts are with you all- so sorry you're going through this. x
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I will tell you what I would do if I and my dog was in this position.

I would NOT be paying for unecessary and pointless tests, I would go to another vet.

If this was MY dog I would have it PTS.

I am not sure if this helps any, but that is my own personal view. It may not be everybody's but IMHO you have nothing to reproach yourself for.
Taz I am so sorry that you are being put in such an awful position at such a hard time for you. I agree with SB honey, I am no dog expert but having been a nurse for 15 years I know this will be a terrible time for you, demetia is such a cruel disease.

I have read through these posts in tears as I really feel you should not be in this position at all, you know your dog and you sound like you have made the hardest decision, imo you would be better cancelling the tests tomorrow and looking for another vet who will allow you to say goodbye to your baby how you want to and how she deserves, as C&D said in a position where you can put your arms around her and tell her how much you love her, so so sorry again we are thinking of you xxx
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Duplicate post
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 11:16 PM
I can only agree with the others I'm afraid. In situations like these, I don't think the vets opinion really comes into it- if your vet is willing to disregard your opinion purely on her own principles, then you have to ask if she really has Selkie's best interests at heart. You know your girl, and you know that whatever you do it will be for the right reason.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 11:56 PM
Thinking of you and dear Selkie

Follow your heart xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 05:51 AM
I had a similar situation with Roxy. She became bowel incontinent, very arthritic and lame due to inter-digital cysts that would not heal. On top of that, she was almost deaf and losing her sight too.

Luckily, I have a brilliant vet.

On our last visit to see him, I was about to ask should Roxy be PTS, and he took the words right out of my mouth.

I agree with the others that your vet doesn't know your dog like you do, and if it's Selkie's time, then you are the one that should make "that" decision.

If the vet argues, then find another one.....

Sending you loads of hugs, honey..... we've all been there, and the pain is chronic..... but you must be allowed to do what is best for Selkie......

x0x
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 07:00 AM
As dog owners, this is one if the hardest choices we have to make Even harder when you don't feel supported by your vet. From what you describe, it sounds like Selkie is deteriorating to the point where she has limited quality of life and isn't going to improve. You know your girl best and if you think it's time, then I'm sure you're right, heartbreaking though it is don't forget, she is YOUR dog, and it's YOUsr choice. If your vet won't agree, then find another. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 07:08 AM
I agree with SB TBH. Our late Border Collie Meg was 23 when we had her PTS, she went exactly the same way with old age, the vets knew of her ie boosters etc., but she had been one of the lucky ones never having illnesses, but when I rang them before taking her I asked if they would PTS and I treated with every respect I could wish for both over the phone and when we walked in there.

I think some vets take advantage of people TBH when thier emotions are vunerable......if in your heart you feel the time is right then you need to say No to the tests, it really is your call hun and I wish you all the very best xxxxxxxxxxx
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 07:45 AM
After much soul searching I decided the time was right for selkie, but when I called my vets last night there were no appointments available fir today, she said call in the morning for an emergency slot. I have called this morning but selkies nice vet is on holiday today and the practice manager is booked solid. They can only offer me an appointment with a locum... But we saw the same locum last week for selkies boosters and she was nervous and jumped out if her skin when selkie barked so I don't want her... They have said they will ask the practice manager if she will fit selkie in in her break or lunch time but now I fell I'm being a dreadful inconvenience. The nice vet isn't back till Thursday. I could wait for her... But then I have to go in to work and leave selkie in kennels for two days because my neighbours call the police if I leave her at home... (shehowls when I go out).

This is horrible... But I don't want to call a strange new vet either. What if I got someone as nervous as the locum or worse?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-06-2011, 07:52 AM
I really feel for you but your vet is being less than helpful ours will always squeeze you in at the end of consulting hours in a genuine emergency, and if she's suffering she needs help now. Jeez when one of mine needed to be pts the vet met me at the surgery at 10pm and was absolutely brilliant. Surely they understand it's not always predictable enough to fit in with surgery hours. Hugs x
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »