View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:01 PM
I`m so sorry to hear about your boy. I lost an old GSD with something like this - we never knew she had it till the end.
But now your boy is recovering, give him a hug from me.
None of us know how long we or our loved ones have - treasure them while they are here.
X
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Pm sent just click on the Pharmacy name, forgot to add that Co Enzyme Q10 was recommended to me by the Cavalier Heart people-Kaycee had one a day from his first diagnosis-they cannot hurt him. Bought them online from a local company-another one that dispatches PDQ & cheaper than most shops & big companies
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks again everyone. He has had another good day today, and is almost able to convince me that he is back to normal ... but not quite. He is eating and happy to come out and mooch around with the other dogs, but is still sleeping much more than usual and is quieter than he usually is. If anyone has seen the TV series "Mist - Sheepdog Tales" (which is fab by the way ) then Moss is very like the character "Jake" - and so is usually a real clown

Here are a couple of my fave pics of him taken on one of our many jaunts up to the NW coast

And many of you will be looking at the face of my lovely lad on your January Dogsey calendar photo, along with Flame

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
I'm so sorry to hear this about dear Moss,

The thing with CHF is once they decompensate, their prognosis becomes much more grave.

Usually, dogs with CHF had a heart defect or problem long before they ever showed symptoms but their bodies (amazing works of engineering that they are) have compensated for the defect. Once a dog decompensates for whatever reason (can no longer cope with the defect) they usually present in crisis and it can come on quite suddenly.

Fluid in the lungs usually indicates Left sided heart failure. The Vetmedin is the best drug on the market for this problem and since it's release has helped many a CHF dog live many more happy days, weeks, months. (but not years, sadly) The Furosemide will be pulling the fluid off his chest, but also pulls fluid from his other tissues so he will need to drink more to compensate for this.

It sounds like your vet is doing everything he can for Moss. Hugs to you and the sweet boy.
Oh I don't like the sound of that (bold bit) ... is that really the case? That vetmedin hasn't ever helped a dog live for years? I know the condition is a very individual thing, so surely some dogs do live for years?? (Here's hoping anyway!).
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:31 PM
He is just so beautiful. I do miss my BC who died in November aged 15. You can't have an intelligent conversation with a staffie or a saluki like you can a BC I am sure Moss will get more energy as the drugs kick in.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Pm sent just click on the Pharmacy name, forgot to add that Co Enzyme Q10 was recommended to me by the Cavalier Heart people-Kaycee had one a day from his first diagnosis-they cannot hurt him. Bought them online from a local company-another one that dispatches PDQ & cheaper than most shops & big companies
Thanks Dyane. Will look into it.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
He is just so beautiful. I do miss my BC who died in November aged 15. You can't have an intelligent conversation with a staffie or a saluki like you can a BC I am sure Moss will get more energy as the drugs kick in.
Thanks Sue Collies are almost human aren't they?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Kaycee was one of the first dogs in the UK to go onto Vetmedin-it gave him at least 3 1/2 years of "normal"Kaycee life.

It was developed for Dobermanns & GSDs in Germany orginally.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Kaycee was one of the first dogs in the UK to go onto Vetmedin-it gave him at least 3 1/2 years of "normal"Kaycee life.

It was developed for Dobermanns & GSDs in Germany orginally.
That is interesting, and very heartening to hear about Kaycee.

Are Dobes and Shepherds prone to it then? I know my vet thought it was quite an uncommon condition in collies, in his experience anyway.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-01-2011, 05:31 PM
I am pleased to hear Moss is feeling brighter today.

I know how hard it is to try to stay positive. Some days you will manage others when maybe they don't seem so bright it is harder. But we do it because we have to for them.

(((Hugs))) for Moss and for you. Although Ollie's problems are very different I really understand how you are feeling at the moment.

I am keeping everything crossed the meds work for him.
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »