View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 11:00 PM
As everyone has said, I hope he responds well to his meds.

My only experiences are with people with CHF and if it is similar then it can be managed successfully.

Fingers crossed here for you x
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 01:15 AM
I lost Loukar at 9 1/2 just before Xmas with CHF & Syringomyelia & 2009 lost Kaycee aged 11 1/2 also with CHF & Syringomyelia.

Kaycee had been on meds for about 4 1/2 years so had those extra years. Loukar had only been on the meds since July, but he did also have Syringomyelia worse than Kaycee

The Vetmedin takes a while to kick in, but it certainly kept Kaycee going.

BTW the meds are a lot cheaper on the net-if you want to know were to get them from let me know I used to get an added 5% off !
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 07:21 AM
So sorry Moobli, to hear about Moss, I hope the medication works.
Scratch has heart failure and an irregular heart beat, he was diagnosed about six months or more ago, he was on furosemide (taken off about 2mths later, due to a colitis event where he was at risk of getting dehydrated, and has not needed them again) and he is on Prilium still, and they said there was another drug they could put him on as the condition worsens, as yet (touch wood) it has be a slow progression.
I remember the night he had difficulty breathing, I really didn't know if he would be okay as his chest sounds sounded so moist and he really was struggling. I was in floods of tears (surprise) at the vets, but since the diagnosis he has not deteriorated rapidly, the vet gave him six months to a year, but that was only a guess and six months on he is still doing okay.
I hope Moss' condition stablises and the progession is slow, it is such an individual disease and no one knows how long they will last, I hope Moss is like Scratch's.
xxxx
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 08:43 AM
So sorry to hear about this in such a young collie. My oldest collie is now 13 and has a heart murmur (4/5 on a scale 1 - 6) but so far is not on any medication as she has no symptoms and it was only picked up at a routine check up. I have to watch for any of the symptoms your Moss is suffering from although the vet said that it may never bother her. Luck of the draw I guess!

I hope Moss continues to stabilise.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-01-2011, 08:56 AM
How is Moss this morning ?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 08:57 AM
I have known dogs cope for many years and others who have deteriorated rapidly.

I will keep everything crossed for him.

Give him a hug from here.

rune
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Thank you to everyone again for your own experiences and all you kind wishes. It is nice to know so many people are thinking of my big lad.

Joedee - could you please PM me with the site where you get your meds from. My vet is very understanding, and has already said he is happy to write a script if we can get the meds cheaper online.

Lynn - Moss is brighter again this morning. He is quieter than usual, and is sleeping alot, but is keen to have a potter outside in the front field with my other dogs, and has eaten some breakfast (no wonder, as it was sprinkled with roast beef ).

I am feeling very positive now, and like Akitagirl has so rightly said, it is far better to think positive and stay strong for Moss, than to fall to pieces and worry about every single thing. We are back at the vets in a week's time, so will see where we go from there.

After literally being at death's door three days ago, he has rallied considerably

Thanks again and I will keep you all updated.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Sorry to hear about Moss, Kirsty! Hugs to you all!

I'm glad to hear that he is brighter today, fingers crossed for you that he continues to improve!

Sending lots of positive vibes to you xxxx
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this about dear Moss,

The thing with CHF is once they decompensate, their prognosis becomes much more grave.

Usually, dogs with CHF had a heart defect or problem long before they ever showed symptoms but their bodies (amazing works of engineering that they are) have compensated for the defect. Once a dog decompensates for whatever reason (can no longer cope with the defect) they usually present in crisis and it can come on quite suddenly.

Fluid in the lungs usually indicates Left sided heart failure. The Vetmedin is the best drug on the market for this problem and since it's release has helped many a CHF dog live many more happy days, weeks, months. (but not years, sadly) The Furosemide will be pulling the fluid off his chest, but also pulls fluid from his other tissues so he will need to drink more to compensate for this.

It sounds like your vet is doing everything he can for Moss. Hugs to you and the sweet boy.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Sorry I cant help with any advice as I have only experienced a heart murmur in my old lurcher Josh.
I really hope the meds work and he continues to rally round.

Hugs from me and mine
xxxx
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »