Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 07:41 PM
glad to hear he is feeling and looking a little better Helen. xx
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 03:36 AM
I'm sorry to read that Georgie isn't himself. I hope its something simple and he's right as rain again soon. Let us know how it goes. Give him big cuddles from me!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 04:03 AM
Glad he perked up a bit Helena, what a worry our oldies are, is Georgie on medication for his Cushings disease?? You made me google (that is never a good idea ) and all the symptoms say it is his Cushings disease, even the muscle wastage and panting and big drinks of water.
As you know Scratch has been on steroids and acquired pancreatitis, and now has hypothyroidism, which I link to his steroid exposure (even though it is thought pancreatitis is now not caused by steroids, he still got it while he was on it and I won't risk it again) since sorting him out and being on thyroid medication, he has improved so much yet still has the odd down down that sends me into despair. Anyway I think my babble is too say I hope it is just a bad day or a UTI.
As for the walking, a while back we walked Scratch up a slope not what I would call a hill but for a little dog I would call it a hill, and he was limping by the time he got up it, and now small dog hills are a no go for him just flat walking as much as possible, sometimes we just have to accommodate them in their golden years.
I am not trying to make this about me or my dogs, just wanted you to not feel like you are on your own in this and each oldies is individual in their ageing yet as owners we have the bad days where we get so worried and feel at the end of our tether.
Hugs to you, Georgie and Zena and fingers crossed that the vet can help him xxxxxxxxxx
RFM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2010, 04:46 AM
My heart goes out to you. I know the 'look' all too well, saw it this past weekend. As pup parents, we know the signs and no matter how much we want to ignore them, they are there. I know I watch everyone single one of my olds very carefully every.single.day. It's the least we can do for them, what with the immeasurable joy they bring to us each and every moment
Penry
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-06-2010, 06:34 AM
Aawwww Aitch,

Babe, I don't believe Georgie is or has given up . . . he's just slowing down with age hun. I think a lot to do with him drinking a lot and not being so mobile has a lot to do with the heat that we have had recently . . . . I know my Sasha has been finding it the last couple of weeks.

Hang in there hun, you wait and see . . . he'll be chasing Zena round the garden again soon.

Huge Hugs to you and Georgie anyway((((((((((HUGS))))))))))), I hope they help and Sasha sends her favorite pin-up dog loads of woos and licks x x x x x x x x x x x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by hades View Post
Just logged in and see this thread!
Sorry to hear this H , I really hope its just the hot weather taking it out of him at the moment.
I have no good advise to give you, I wish I did.
I really hope you see a good change in him in the next few days.
Thinking of both of you, please keep us posted and give him a big squeeze from his biggest fan!
All the best to you both.
Thanks hades, he's still ok this morning.

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Big hugs Aitch. I'm hoping it's just the heat or maybe a little urine infection that can be sorted. Whatever it is, I'm sure you will do what's necessary to make him more comfortable.

Thinking of you, honey x0x
Thanks Vicki, and I know you had the same thing with the dear old Duchess, I'll be watching him like a hawk just as you were with her.xxx

Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
glad to hear he is feeling and looking a little better Helen. xx
Thanks Karen, he was quite vocal this morning before his walk, but now he's sleeping of course.

Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
I'm sorry to read that Georgie isn't himself. I hope its something simple and he's right as rain again soon. Let us know how it goes. Give him big cuddles from me!
Thanks muttzrule, I've passed on his cuddles!

Originally Posted by Emma View Post
Glad he perked up a bit Helena, what a worry our oldies are, is Georgie on medication for his Cushings disease?? You made me google (that is never a good idea ) and all the symptoms say it is his Cushings disease, even the muscle wastage and panting and big drinks of water.
As you know Scratch has been on steroids and acquired pancreatitis, and now has hypothyroidism, which I link to his steroid exposure (even though it is thought pancreatitis is now not caused by steroids, he still got it while he was on it and I won't risk it again) since sorting him out and being on thyroid medication, he has improved so much yet still has the odd down down that sends me into despair. Anyway I think my babble is too say I hope it is just a bad day or a UTI.
As for the walking, a while back we walked Scratch up a slope not what I would call a hill but for a little dog I would call it a hill, and he was limping by the time he got up it, and now small dog hills are a no go for him just flat walking as much as possible, sometimes we just have to accommodate them in their golden years.
I am not trying to make this about me or my dogs, just wanted you to not feel like you are on your own in this and each oldies is individual in their ageing yet as owners we have the bad days where we get so worried and feel at the end of our tether.
Hugs to you, Georgie and Zena and fingers crossed that the vet can help him xxxxxxxxxx
Thanks Emma, and I know you're as bad as me with all the worrying, especially with your little Scratchy, but who else have they got, they put their trust in us so willingly, it's only a good owner who spots sudden changes isn't it. Georgie hasn't been put on any medication for that cushings, they just told me he had it, but of course, he's on his daily 4mg dose of steroids, so maybe that's what they would have prescribed anyway?xxxx

Originally Posted by RFM View Post
My heart goes out to you. I know the 'look' all too well, saw it this past weekend. As pup parents, we know the signs and no matter how much we want to ignore them, they are there. I know I watch everyone single one of my olds very carefully every.single.day. It's the least we can do for them, what with the immeasurable joy they bring to us each and every moment
Thanks RFM, and I'm only sorry to hear you've been given that same "look", so I wish you all the very best with yours, not easy is it.

Originally Posted by Penry View Post
Aawwww Aitch,

Babe, I don't believe Georgie is or has given up . . . he's just slowing down with age hun. I think a lot to do with him drinking a lot and not being so mobile has a lot to do with the heat that we have had recently . . . . I know my Sasha has been finding it the last couple of weeks.

Hang in there hun, you wait and see . . . he'll be chasing Zena round the garden again soon.

Huge Hugs to you and Georgie anyway((((((((((HUGS))))))))))), I hope they help and Sasha sends her favorite pin-up dog loads of woos and licks x x x x x x x x x x x
Awww thanks Shane.xxxxxxxxxx I know how very fond of old Georgieboy you are, and of course you're right, it's the old age thing creeping up on him, but I do tend to worry a bit more with what's going on inside after a lifetime of steroids, it must have wrecked his insides, but I opted for quality of life 2 years ago when we put him back on them, so to have given him those two wonderful years, one with his latest girlfriend gives me a certain amount of comfort.xxxxx

I managed to get the first morning sample, I used the dustpan coz it was new and it's easy, and then I just tipped it into the sample pot, and not a drop was spilled!!! I have to give you a laugh, because the pot I used was a spare sample pot I always keep in my medicine cabinet, and I saw that I had originally written on it Zena and my surname, so I scrubbed out the Zena, and didn't bother to turn the sample pot further round to see what I'd written. Anyhoo, when I took it down there in an envelope marked with what I wanted, I took the bottle out to show her, and it was only then that I noticed the previous additional writing on that pot, which was "please test for signs of a season" OMG what a laugh we all had over that!!! We crossed it out of course!!!!

She said they could test for a few things in-house, but if nothing shows up, then they can also send it off somewhere for further tests, which I asked them to do. This could mean we don't have to go for bloods, but if nothing shows up, then we'll have bloods and a check over next.

Just having to play the waiting game now then.

I'm not taking him out again in a mo, coz he's sleeping and he's had a half hour walk this morning, so I'll just take Zena and let him sleep, and that's the way we're going to carry on with our new routine.

Thanks again guys for all of your wonderful support as always!xxxxxx
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2010, 10:14 AM
I dont know how I missed this, But i'm pleased to read that Georgie is a bit more himself now.

Do you think he wore himself on his little holiday Helena? and needed a few days at home to catch up on some rest?

Fingers crossed the test's come back fine xx
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 10:34 AM
oh what a worry helena i hope everything is ok, and its great to hear he has perked up! jake sends many cuddles and licks to both of you ... oh he just told me zena has to be included in that too
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
I dont know how I missed this, But i'm pleased to read that Georgie is a bit more himself now.

Do you think he wore himself on his little holiday Helena? and needed a few days at home to catch up on some rest?

Fingers crossed the test's come back fine xx
Oh I'm sure of it Bugzy, I honestly thought we'd knackered him out so much he was going to have heart failure on me when he flopped down in that pool up there. Stupid!! I was being very careful, it wasn't hot, but we got a bit lost and were out for an hour before we even headed back!! I will never listen to Dave again, I will always watch out for my dogs! He isn't as aware as I am when we're out with them coz he doesn't come with us much, only at week-ends. Thanks Bugzy, I just left him home alone and he's still sleeping, he's not so good today again, but this morning, first thing he was fine xxxxx

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
oh what a worry helena i hope everything is ok, and its great to hear he has perked up! jake sends many cuddles and licks to both of you ... oh he just told me zena has to be included in that too
Thanks lozzibear, he knows Zena has to be included in just about everything he gets!!!! xxxxx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Oh H, my heart goes out to you. I don't have much time in the laptop at the mo unfortunately, due to animals, the rescue work, Ben etc etc so have only just seen this thread.

I am pleased to see dear old Georgie is feeling a bit better, but it is definitely a worry when they start to get older With you though, he will have the very best of care and attention in his twilight years, and I hope he has a few more to come yet.
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »