View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Aw I'm so glad to hear he's feeling better. Maybe 'just' the urine infection then, combined with the heat.

The reason I asked about balding, urinating and pot bellies etc. was because I had a dog that had been given steroids and he sadly went on to develop Cushing's. It's just something else the vet might consider, that's all but I'm keeping everything crossed that it's the above instead.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks Elaine, and thanks for a lovely perk me up chat!!!xxxxxx

Thanks Michele, Dogsey vibes always work well xxxxxx

Thanks again Lucky, he already has cushings I forgot to mention that The vets told me when they did his blood test for thyroid problems and told me about his immune system not working, so he's got a lot going on hasn't he poor boy. I'd better Google cushings, coz I only know about it in horses where they grow a thicker, curly coat, but I don't think I ever did look it up in dogs!xxxxx

ETA: Just Googled, and yes, he certainly has most of that Lucky! I found this bit interesting Quote "It can be naturally occurring or due to over administration of corticosteroids such as prednisone " UNQuote and preds are the exact steroids that he has been on all his life, apart from the last 2 years when we changed to medrone-v (which again are preds anyway or so I've been told by the vet), so there ya go, no wonder he has cushings then! Interesting to note too, that they give them roughly 2 years after diagnosis!!!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Oh H, please give darling Georgie a huge ((((HUG)))) from me, I hope its just cystitis/kidney infection too.
Its awful seeing them age isn't it? I remember with Remy she would willingly walk to the woods have a little zoomie and then she would stop dead halfway down our road and I would practicially have to carry her home.... so she was then, just given small walks and she loved that, she would play with the boys in the garden for her exercise
I wish they didn't have to get old and I also wish for many more years for you with your wonderful boy, whom I love too!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks Claire. I know I probably should have insisted he stayed at home 2nd walk, but he always kicked up such a fuss if ever I told him he wasn't coming although today, when I stroked him and told him he's not coming, he seemed to accept it and just sit there watching us walk out the door I hadn't let him do much though, I always just took them up on the green, so he could mooch about in the shade whilst Zena had her zoomies, but today, when Zena and I went out alone, we spent an hour in the woods, and have to say, I'm reaping the benefit of that tonight!!!!

Poor old boy, I think we're definitely going to have to change our routine around for him and let him do less and see how he goes. I couldn't bear to say goodbye to him just yet, he's not ready, but he has certainly made it known to me over the past week or so that he's getting very old and tired now, so I've made a note of that.xxxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Oh Helen, I didn't know. Poor Georgie doesn't need this on top of it all. I hope whatever this is that it isn't anything serious. Let's see what the vet has to say, eh? Chin up mate.
Hugs.
x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Yes, I've decided he's going to the vet for a check over either way, whether he's got that infection or not, coz I just felt down his back legs and he seems to have lost ALL of his muscles, they've gone all skinny, just like that tail of his, there's nothing there but sinew and bone He gets around on them ok though, and gets up from lying down without a problem, and he couldn't possibly have Metacam or Rymadil even if they were bothering him coz of the steroids you see. It's a no win quite honestly isn't it, so let's just hope he perks up with a lot more rest!

Dave just told me he was outside from 4.30 am. he left the french doors open and he laid out on the decking last night So that long wee that I saw this morning wasn't because he had been holding it, he could have gone as much as he wanted out there, unless of course, he didn't have the energy to get off the decking.

At least I'm aware now, so just have to keep that chin up until I hear the worst, but hopefully I won't!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Awww....Aitch honey, my heart sank when I saw this. I hope it's just the heat and that's he's with you for a long time to come. We're all here for you though, you know that xxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Thanks Jackie. Once again I find myself in that position that you think will never come. Yes, the heat didn't help, it got very hot last week, and although we walked very early in the cool of the day, I did notice that he'd slowed up a lot and seemed to be finding it hard going, not his usual bouncy self when I called him on if he lagged behind too much. It doesn't help that Zena always thinks it's a race our morning walk she wears me out to the point I have to stop up the first hill halfway up! I might try a flatter walk and see if he's better, but I'm right in the valley of the South Downs, so it's a tad difficult finding much flat to start off with! Thanks Jackie, I know you'll all be here when the time comes, but let's hope that's a long way off yet.xxxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks Jackie. Once again I find myself in that position that you think will never come. Yes, the heat didn't help, it got very hot last week, and although we walked very early in the cool of the day, I did notice that he'd slowed up a lot and seemed to be finding it hard going, not his usual bouncy self when I called him on if he lagged behind too much. It doesn't help that Zena always thinks it's a race our morning walk she wears me out to the point I have to stop up the first hill halfway up! I might try a flatter walk and see if he's better, but I'm right in the valley of the South Downs, so it's a tad difficult finding much flat to start off with! Thanks Jackie, I know you'll all be here when the time comes, but let's hope that's a long way off yet.xxxx
Big hugs honeyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Aw H, it could be as simple as old age, Remy lost muscle and her exercise drive and the vet said it was just old age creeping on her... (((HUGS))) anyway to you and Georgie boy xxx
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »