Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bellasmummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2010, 12:16 AM

How do you link walking and toiletting?

Hey guys

Any tips would be gratefully received. Bella has been house trained since she was 10 weeks, with the occasional little wee accident indoors.

She is now 15 weeks and we have been going for 2 walks a day for about a week. The think is, she won't toilet while we are walking but the moment we get home, she goes out in the garden. We have done up to 40 minutes walks so I doubt it's the length of time we keep her out.

Any advice, would be so helpful - thank you.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
Hey guys

Any tips would be gratefully received. Bella has been house trained since she was 10 weeks, with the occasional little wee accident indoors.

She is now 15 weeks and we have been going for 2 walks a day for about a week. The think is, she won't toilet while we are walking but the moment we get home, she goes out in the garden. We have done up to 40 minutes walks so I doubt it's the length of time we keep her out.

Any advice, would be so helpful - thank you.
Hi Rou going in the garden is not a bad thing. Some puppies are reluctant to eliminate away from their own 'territory' and start to do so more as they mature, gain confidence and scent mark more readily . Are you walking in a place where other dogs go? The scent of other dogs should help to stimulate Bella to eliminate.

You could try teaching Bella to relieve herself on command and make doing so a rewarding experience so she eventually learns to go anywhere.
I would start teaching her in the garden if that is where she will normally go. To teach this take Bella out at times when she is most likely to want to relieve herself, that is first thing in the morning/last thing at night/ straight after food / after play/excitement/ if she is on the way to being housetrained every couple of hours.

First Bella needs to learn a 'prompt' word (I say 'beclean') it is important to say the word when Bella is in the middle of relieving itself so that she leans to associates the word with the action. The moment she finishes going give a treat and lots of praise. Timing is very important, get it wrong and the puppy will be receiving praise for the wrong thing .
I use high value treats like tiny cheese or chicken pieces to train this . After a while when Bella has learnt to do this the treats should be given randomly then not at all but always give praise.

In a little while Bella should be willing 'to go' when requested and to do so away from home but I really don't think there is any hurry to achieve this.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Hi, My dog Shady will be 5 in June and until a couple of weeks ago has never ever done a wee or a poo when out, she will always wait until home.
2 Weeks ago she finally started going when we are in the safety of the field we hire, its taken her over 2 years to feel comfortable going there. She still will not go on a normal walk.
Its never bothered me and I prefer it that way as I don't have to carry a bag full of enormous poo for miles looking for a bin.
I am sure when your pup feels more relaxed out on walks she will start to go soon enough. So my advice is relax and make the most of not having to clear up behind your dog when out as I am sure it will happen soon enough.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Does yur puppy come off the lead at all or stay on a lead?

I ask because my dogs generally wont go to the toilet if they are on a lead, particularly if they need a poo. I have also taught them a command for going to the toilet which does help.
Bellasmummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Thank you very much everyone. Very useful advice and food for thought.

Since my firt post, Bella has had a couple of wees during our walks. I don't let her off the lead yet as we have some way to go in our training yet so that may be another reason why she doesn't go but at least I feel more re-assured now, thank you
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-02-2010, 02:29 AM
I frequently make use of walking to get a puppy to eliminate. What I do is walk briskly for a ways,and then stop in an attractive spot and give the puppy more leash and the command to eliminate.

You may need to try a few longer walks. They can only walk and hold it so long. When it finally has to go, lavish praise on it.
Meg
Supervisor

24-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I frequently make use of walking to get a puppy to eliminate. What I do is walk briskly for a ways,and then stop in an attractive spot and give the puppy more leash and the command to eliminate.
You may need to try a few longer walks. They can only walk and hold it so long. When it finally has to go, lavish praise on it.
Really how did you do this with your twenty guide dog puppies Labman, did you use remote control?

You have already told us in previous posts that your puppies from 7 weeks of age spent 16 hours a day in a crate while you and your wife went to work and that you only let them out in the evenings and at weekends,
..that there were kept on wire mesh in case they soiled their crates when there was no one there to take them out,
..that they were deprived of water to prevent them soiling their crates,
..that they couldn't have any form of bedding in case they chewed it up and choked when left alone so long ,
..that you prefer enclosed plastic crates which means you puppies rarely saw the light of day.

I think you must have a short memory Ladman have you forgotten you said these things Do a search through your posts, it is all there.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Anybody think the above is helping anybody?
Meg
Supervisor

24-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Are you referring to my post Labman?
If so absolutely , it demonstrates that you have no credibility and that people should think carefully before taking your posts seriously.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Yes, for the reason given below:

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Are you referring to my post Labman?
If so absolutely , it demonstrates that you have no credibility and that people should think carefully before taking your posts seriously.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >