Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Forgot to add, he is a real scavenger. Mainly certain weeds and bark/wood things but also stones, brick, concrete and plants in the garden.

Of course we do everything to stop him but that doesn't mean he wont give it his best shot!
This could be the real problem. I am afraid I don't have any good ideas how to stop it. All that junk he is eating could cause his body to push the food out before it is fully digested.

While I feel grain free diets are vastly over rated, getting some highly digestible potato into him might at least allow him to pick up a little weight. Frequent portions of a highly digestible food might help level out the peaks and valleys in blood sugar the potatoes could cause.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 06:07 PM
This is a really interesting thread and as you know Pidge, i've also had similar problems with Monty.

Lately after a course of AB's he's been a lot better but the further into his walk after running round then the looser he gets and sometimes its just pure explosive watery poo - sorry for the graphic description!

I'm contemplating changing his food towards the end of this last bag of food and seeing if our pet food supplier does something hypo-allergenic that might be better for Monty.

Like you, i'm at a bit of a loss and our vet was a bit vague.

Next step for us is the sample testing at the vets and then after that she said we could have a dye run through his then x-ray to highlight any problem areas but i just don't know how far to go with it because somedays its worse than others if anything at all.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
This is a really interesting thread and as you know Pidge, i've also had similar problems with Monty.

Lately after a course of AB's he's been a lot better but the further into his walk after running round then the looser he gets and sometimes its just pure explosive watery poo - sorry for the graphic description!

I'm contemplating changing his food towards the end of this last bag of food and seeing if our pet food supplier does something hypo-allergenic that might be better for Monty.

Like you, i'm at a bit of a loss and our vet was a bit vague.

Next step for us is the sample testing at the vets and then after that she said we could have a dye run through his then x-ray to highlight any problem areas but i just don't know how far to go with it because somedays its worse than others if anything at all.
Esme, what does he eat daily and how much of it?

Feel free to add on to this thread as am sure folk on here will have some advice for Monty too.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Esme, what does he eat daily and how much of it?

Feel free to add on to this thread as am sure folk on here will have some advice for Monty too.
He's fed on Oscar's Junior Advanced for large breeds and the feeding guide suggests 640g in total for a day based on his expected adult weight. I personally think this is too much so he's probably on more like 400g a day and even then he doesn't eat all that.

In addition he gets Oscar's marrowbone bakes for treats or just normal bonio style biscuits.

Occasionally he gets fresh veg, mashed spud, bit of cooked meat but thats not very often.

He also has yoghurt mixed into his tea twice a week.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 06:58 PM
He's fed on Oscar's Junior Advanced for large breeds and the feeding guide suggests 640g in total for a day based on his expected adult weight. I personally think this is too much so he's probably on more like 400g a day and even then he doesn't eat all that.

In addition he gets Oscar's marrowbone bakes for treats or just normal bonio style biscuits.

Occasionally he gets fresh veg, mashed spud, bit of cooked meat but thats not very often.

He also has yoghurt mixed into his tea twice a week.
If Monty is over a year old I'd put him on adult food for a start.

I have never heard of Oscars. Glad you are not feeding 640 grams though as that is a ridiculous amount for a Boxer sized dog. 400 grams sounds about right, but maybe cut back a little if he isn't finishing it.

For a dog with a dicky tum, I'd be inclined to try them on a very basic dry kibble such as Burns, maybe mixed in with a bit of Chappie.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 07:13 PM

My 2 ALWAYS have a runny bum when they have been belting round.... the first poo is solid and the last is just brown water. They've always been like this, as have a lot of other Boxers I know. We call it Boxer Tummy.

As long as they do solid poos when they are at home on a 'normal' basis, I'm not worried.

Our boys are fed on a 'working dog' food - Dr John's Silver Medal (link). And before anyone says anything, yes, I know it's got a lot of cereals in it, but the boys are doing well on it, and have been for over a year! They don't get above 18% protein as it doesn't suit them (they get very hyper, and difficult to control and itchy - we know this through trial and error!)

They eat 400g a day each, split into 2 meals (both are about 30kg (ish) although Murphy is a tad heavier. Murphy would eat more if I gave it him, but he's at the heavier end of the scale, so he doesn't get it!!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Mine will get abit loose

If its Hot

If they have alot of exercise

If they have been swimming

Its not always a food "issue"

I dont really see it as a issue at all! Sometimes i have Logs some times we have cow pats, sometimes we have Mr Whippy!!!!! Sometimes we have a log with a melted end!!! I try not to worry!!!!!
Pippin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2009, 07:22 PM
I had this with Katie when she was young, she was never out of the vet and never realy got an answear as to what it was...She is now 13yrs old and looks great for her age, considering i was told she wouldnt live much past two with this condition which no one could name..I found high fiba and low protine foods worked well..she now has Burns High oats and loves it..she still cant realy have chews and never ever hide bones and that type ..If she does have the odd bout of the wild ones i give her pasta for a day or two to settle down and then back on the Burns..
I hope you find a fo0d to suit, it took me ages but like I say she looks great for her age now..Good luck..
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
If Monty is over a year old I'd put him on adult food for a start.

I have never heard of Oscars. Glad you are not feeding 640 grams though as that is a ridiculous amount for a Boxer sized dog. 400 grams sounds about right, but maybe cut back a little if he isn't finishing it.

For a dog with a dicky tum, I'd be inclined to try them on a very basic dry kibble such as Burns, maybe mixed in with a bit of Chappie.
Hopefully this link worksas this is the guide for what Monty is on:

http://www.oscars.co.uk/files/produc...d%20Junior.pdf
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Mine will get abit loose

If its Hot

If they have alot of exercise

If they have been swimming

Its not always a food "issue"

I dont really see it as a issue at all! Sometimes i have Logs some times we have cow pats, sometimes we have Mr Whippy!!!!! Sometimes we have a log with a melted end!!! I try not to worry!!!!!
as above with my sibes (my collie has a surprisingly good tum)
if your dog is healthy in every other aspect,has good bodycondition and maintaining their weight try not to worry,and look at your dog as a whole and a little less at their poop.pro/pre biotics will help all dogs,but some good food brands already contain them.
Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »