Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi Pidge I have to say I am a little shocked at the suggestion of surgery

I am unsure what is in dentastix but they are not some a thing I would consider feeding (I am not a fan of Pedigree products and prefer something natural to clean the teeth like dried fish or carrot ).

Have you tried Wafcol Potato and Salmon, it is good for dogs with funny tummies and produces nice firm poos.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Avoid the Hills stuff like the plague!!!!!! (just my opinion of course)

Incidentally, why the dentastix??? Could you find a healthier treat for him? It seems you are putting loads of thought into giving him great quality dry food, then spoiling it with poor quality treats. Burns do some good treats. Their venison ears are particularly good. Your vet sounds like a money grabber tbh. I wouldn't be impressed, especially as he just has loose stools, rather than any blood or anything else nasty. I would be looking for a new vet!
Me too, I am afriad,
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Selkie is fat and gluten intolerant. I feed her Skinners salmon and rice kibble, but I have to be really careful about her treats.

Dentastix are just gluten held together with Fat so they are a real no no for her. She really suffers on them... just one will make her unsettled for a week and will build up to a masty bum the next week... (It never seems to be straight away afterwards)

I would cut them out for now and see how he gets on without them.. Go to just the kibble and offer bits of kibble as treats (mine for some reason don't seem to notice if I give them kibble rewards)...

Saying that.. Jackjack all his life would get runnier and runnier to the end of the day... it was just the way he was.. he was never in any distress, he was never ill on it... He refused to go toilet in the garden and would save it all up for walks then poop till he could not poop any more. ... By the end of the walk there would be nothing I could pick up and I just got into the habit of carrying a squirty bottle of water... ... It was just his way... He lived to a reasonable age and died of a blood disorder nothing to do with his tummy. It may be nothing particularly to worry about.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 03:59 PM
i'd be looking for a new vet as well, for them to suggest opening him up for a dose of the squits even if it is prolonged is a bit extreme. I would be asking for bacterial stool sampling as well. On the treat front, have you tried making your own?? liver or tuna bread is dead quick and easy even if it does stink the house out
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Guys, thanks so much for the advice. I am starting to get a little confused by it all that's for sure! First thing to happen though is no more Dentastix. We have loads of healthy treats but held off on them because the dentastix are his absolute fav (he goes nuts for the smell). Still, he'll get over it I'm sure ;o)

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Hi Pidge

Unless you actually TEST for food allergies, via an elimination diet, you will never know if he is actually allergic or intolerant to anything. So for a vet to drastically suggest opening him up (what the? ) before actually diagnosing any real allergies or intolerances is a little extreme. And of course the vet would push the food they sell.

As for the intermittent loose stools and diahhorea, has Woody had a fecal sample done before? it could be something bacterial like giardia. I have had dogs with giardia and the stools will be normal and times and total mush at others, all on the same day.
Hey Dorky. She didn't say she would open him up now, just said it was one of the two options. Still, not good enough I think but we've already changed vets to them because of this and other things so I don't really want to change again or I'll start to get a rep' ;o)

He's had a faecal sample that came back completely negative.

Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Avoid the Hills stuff like the plague!!!!!! (just my opinion of course)

Incidentally, why the dentastix??? Could you find a healthier treat for him? It seems you are putting loads of thought into giving him great quality dry food, then spoiling it with poor quality treats. Burns do some good treats. Their venison ears are particularly good. Your vet sounds like a money grabber tbh. I wouldn't be impressed, especially as he just has loose stools, rather than any blood or anything else nasty. I would be looking for a new vet!
I agree, I do not like Hills and am sure it's the fact that we fed him it from day one that he now has this problem!

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Have you tried the usual stuff - like wafcol salmon and potato and cheese or sardines for treats? Only I have a friend with a standard poodle who had a bad tum for years till she realised he was allergic to chicken and rice.
BTW my dogs had dentastix once. They lasted 3 seconds. I don`t see how that is supposed to clean their teeth.
What is this Claire, can you fill me in abit more?

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I'm a bit confused cos most dogs stools get looser the more exercise they have and dentastix which someone once gave me for my lot not only disappear in an instant they also gave them all a squity bum. Maybe you should try and find a different less manufacturered treat. Oh and cheese also doesn't agree with mine it gives them mucousy poos.
Well, that's what we were told before by the first vet but then a few people told me it was bollocks (friend at work, vet friend and new vet) and that his stools should not be the way they are. She said that as he exercises his (forgotten the name but it's the bit at the end of his digestive tract) becomes smaller and that's why the last poos appear squirtier and that the frequency might be because he's too excited to sit still and get it all out in one go.

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I agree about the Dentastix. Mine have them sometimes, but they have guts of steel. I would not feed them to a dog with a sensitive stomach. I would not feed any of the popular commercial dog treats (with the exception of James Wellbeloved Crackerjacks, Burns Kelties, etc.) to a dog with a sensitive stomach come to think of it.
OK, will try him on just the JWB treats for now.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I understand that , its not something that would suit me either

Have you tried Chappie, cheap and cheerful, many people swear by it for dodgey tums.

Also agree with the above.

Dogs stools do get looser as they are exercised Pidge, is this whats happening..do they get looser as the day goes on when he is out on exersice.

Same with the dentastix... if you are investigating what causes the problem ALL these treats loaded with additives should be stopped.
OK, good point. Not sure about Chappie but will consider it in the future. I think the trouble is that I have no idea what is causing the intolerance, if indeed there is one.

Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
My vet says a lot of dogs with sensitive tums have an intolerance to beef . This was the case with a dog I had when I stopped feeding her anything with beef in it she was fine . If however I even gave her a treat containing beef she got diarrhoea
Yes, I'm certain beef is no good for him (do Dentastix contain Beef?) as hooves and rawhide and anything like that make his stools very soft and smelly.

Forgot to mention as well that sometimes they look frothy?????

Sounds like my best bet is to get rid of the Dentastix (I know a certain rescue centre that would love a box of these) and try his normal food and one healthier treat choice (without beef) for now. Agreed?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 04:01 PM
The amount of food can also have an affect. Soft/runny poos are a sign that the food is going through too quickly and the intestines don't have time to remove the excess liquid to make the poo solid.

Do you feed twice a day and if so, how much does he get at each meal?

It may be that you need to look at giving him a food where the feeding guidelines are lower than your existing food so that he gets the same quantity of 'goodness' but in a smaller quantity.

Ironically adding warm water to dried food can also help the digestion system process kibble better than when it is dry.

PS I agree with the others re dentastix - I have found that they are not good for dogs with sensitive tums.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

17-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Pidge have you tried fish4dogs treats, if he's doing ok on a fish kibble he should be ok with them, they're only dried fish skins made into cubes.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Pidge I have to say I am a little shocked at the suggestion of surgery

I am unsure what is in dentastix but they are not some a thing I would consider feeding (I am not a fan of Pedigree products and prefer something natural to clean the teeth like dried fish or carrot ).

Have you tried Wafcol Potato and Salmon, it is good for dogs with funny tummies and produces nice firm poos.
Mini, see prev post. No idea what Wafcol is but will try if everyone thinks it will work.

Dentastix are out! Vet said no to carrots as hard to digest???

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Me too, I am afriad,
See prev', would be hard to change now.

Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Selkie is fat and gluten intolerant. I feed her Skinners salmon and rice kibble, but I have to be really careful about her treats.

Dentastix are just gluten held together with Fat so they are a real no no for her. She really suffers on them... just one will make her unsettled for a week and will build up to a masty bum the next week... (It never seems to be straight away afterwards)

I would cut them out for now and see how he gets on without them.. Go to just the kibble and offer bits of kibble as treats (mine for some reason don't seem to notice if I give them kibble rewards)...

Saying that.. Jackjack all his life would get runnier and runnier to the end of the day... it was just the way he was.. he was never in any distress, he was never ill on it... He refused to go toilet in the garden and would save it all up for walks then poop till he could not poop any more. ... By the end of the walk there would be nothing I could pick up and I just got into the habit of carrying a squirty bottle of water... ... It was just his way... He lived to a reasonable age and died of a blood disorder nothing to do with his tummy. It may be nothing particularly to worry about.
That's exactly what Woody's are like!! So it may well just be nothing (she says hopefully).

Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
i'd be looking for a new vet as well, for them to suggest opening him up for a dose of the squits even if it is prolonged is a bit extreme. I would be asking for bacterial stool sampling as well. On the treat front, have you tried making your own?? liver or tuna bread is dead quick and easy even if it does stink the house out
Do you have a recipe for tuna bread? I'd be more willing to make that than the liver thing ;o)
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 04:08 PM
This may seem a bit off the wall.. But the frothy thing made me think.. Kismet gets frothy poo, (that foams up when I hose it down in the garden)..

It took me a while to work it out, but the other day I had a eureka moment!.. I noticed the patch of patio I had hosed had gone all sparkly! Closer inspection showed the little glittery bits to be bits of crushed snail shell!!!

Sure enough watching Kismet in the day... She hunts down all the pots and eats snails! Mystery solved!

I have asked the neighbour to make sure he doesn't put slug pellets down and left her to it!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 04:08 PM
What a load of old tosh your vet is spouting, talk about trying to make money out of you.
Firstly ditch the dentastix they are well known for giving dogs squitty bums. I have only tried them once and never again.
Try a tripe stick instead.
I think it may well be allergy related, and the ZD diet range may be ok IF Woody is not sensitive to any of its ingredients.
I would start with trying some good old Chappie as its brilliant for tummys and also for bladder problems, not that woody has them.
If Woody is still loose a week after using Chappie and NO OTHER TREATS then try something like Nature diet or wafcol Salmon and potatoe.
As you know I have been through endless problems with Milo. So I would suggest if either Chappie, wafcol or ND don't help then, get some allergy tests done.
Woody does not need to be opened up though definetly not at this stage.
An endoscopy can always be done, if not by your vet by a referral vet.
It was the endoscopy that revealed Milos problems, but even so we still had to find the food he could tolerate the best.
Go down the food route first, but you must be very strict and make sure not one morsel of anything else passes his lips.
The only thing I would say regarding Chappie is it is not Wheat/Gluten free and its the wheat/gluten that many dogs are intolerant of.
Good luck its not an easy thing to sort, but if I can be of any help at all then please don't hesitate to pm me or just shout.
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »