Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
You have my sympathy too, and i am wondering if that medication you mentioned will take a while to become effective, some meds. have to really get into the body before they help.

Either way I hope your vet. can advise ways to keep her comfortable and FWIW I think 2 or 3 short 20 min. walks would be good, but only if she's not suffering.
Thanks for your comments Losos. Flame has been on these particular meds for two months, so I imagine that is enough time for them to start working?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Only just found this thread. I am so sorry to hear of your pain and difficulties my friend.

IF it is any consolation, then try to remember that dogs live very much in the now. They dont consider the future in negative ways as you might, they just deal with whatever is happening in the minute.

Your sadness is probably born of visualising bad stuff happening in the future. What we think affects how we feel and how we feel, affects how we perceive things.

My old girl, now 18 does very little these days, and to start with I was soooooo upset. but these days I have come to realise that in fact if I just wake up each day and be thankful that she is still there and still enjoys the odd good meal, the odd potter round the garfden, and very much enjoys cuddles from me, then I feel differently about the whole thing.

I have seen some of your photos, you have given your dog a great life and much love. Isnt it wonderful that you still share that love? Isnt it wonderful that despite your dogs failing body YOU are there to help her, still enjoy what she can enjoy.

YOU ARE STILL THERE to help her in whatever way she needs you to and that you are there to give love each and every day. She is a lucky dog and has had a lucky life. Anbd you are lucky to have shared it with her. And you are lucky that you still have time to enjoy her.

Remember this time will pass. Make the most of it.

Each day, I take special time with my old girl and I appreciate each moment we share, as she does.

In fact Im off to give her a big cuddle right now.

I wish you luck and send big hugs to both you and Flame.
Thank you so, so much for your lovely post Denise. It means a lot to me, and you are (as usual) speaking complete and utter sense. Thank you.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
No probs. I do know exactly how you are feeling and it's pants.

I really struggled not taking Biff out initially ...hugely so, even though the vet suggested it and I had been thinking it. I also really struggled when I had to stop letting him off lead...and when he and Mo couldn't be exercised as they had been in the past. It's so hard.

I do know though, having come through that, that the dog does benefit from it. I know I felt bad...but I also know (having come through the other side of feeling bad) that it was the best thing I did for Mo and the best thing I did for Biffters. I have definitely added to Biff's lifespan by not allowing him out. When we were away last week my inlaws couldn't believe just how well he is at the moment and they had to stop themseleves from walking him. It is soooooooo tempting when he is having a good couple of days to take him for a potter...but the last time we did was when he got really ill at Christmas. never again.

As I say, listen to what Flame is telling you. 3 20 minute walks may prove too much in this heat but be perfect on a gloriously frosty winter's day, it really is a question of watching them carefully and playing it by ear. Some days she may be happy with one walk...some two, some three...just see how she is, but never be tempted to take her for more than she can deal with comfortably. If she is sore after a walk, cut back...never push her as that then becomes as bad as not exercising a young dog enough (if you see what I mean).

It is all about getting into a different mindset about your dog....and that is sooooooooo hard. I have hated it. Recognising your dog is aging and can't do what it used to anymore is so sad. On the plus side though, I think that Flame will absolutely love her time on a 1 to 1 with you and I think you will love it too.

Huge hugs xxxxx
Thanks Ailsa. It sounds as though you went through exactly what I am going through now ... finding it so, so hard to leave Flame behind when I take the others out. I KNOW it is for the best for her, but I still really struggle with it and feel incredible guilt

I know JUST what you are saying about restricting her exercise (or even trying her without structured exercise) and I am going to give it a go. I will start off with just giving her one short walk in a morning. My dogs always have access to our garden, a small wooded area and the yard anyway, and they are often found outside mooching around (including Flame). I will then let her choose whether she comes on a second walk up the hill behind our house and leave the gate open - as she has been known to take herself home when she has had enough. I actually really dislike taking her out in the pick up now, as it is clearly painful for her to jump in the back, and even when I lift her she cries out I have bought a *lightweight* ramp for her, but it is anything but lightweight and she isn't that keen on it, but I am going to try using that when I have to take her out in the pick up.

Listening to Flame, and observing her, is the only way forward I feel. Once I have spoken to the vet, at least I will know exactly what I am dealing with and can take it from there.

Thanks again for your advice and support.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
So sorry to hear this Kirsty, Flame is so young as well.

My mum's lab had a hip replacement recently and is due to have his other hip done in the near future. Things she found useful when he was having a lot of pain and stiffness were swimming, accupuncture and splitting his walks so he was out more often but for a lot less time.

Hopefully your vet can come up with something that makes things easier for her and you.xx

Thanks Majuka. We have tried hydrotherapy and will definitely be going back for some further sessions. I have heard acupuncture is useful, but not sure Flame would enjoy it, as she gets stressed at the vets As you will have seen, I am going to reduce her exercise and see how we go.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
One of our vets also suggested cod liver oil or evening primrose oil. They said that they were better than other supplements (the more expensive ones) which he said was like putting in the building blocks but not the builder. Not sure how accurate it was but he is one of out better vets. Biff did actually do well on the cod liver oil...but can't have it now because of his tummy upsets.
She has been having cod liver oil, but I will add some evening primrose oil to her diet as well. Thanks A.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I am so sorry to hear about dear Flame. Its so hard when they are young and can't do the normal things you expect them to be able to do.
I have had this with Milo and his anaemia problems for so long now and he is only 4. At the moment a 20min walk leaves him exhausted and he is not even running around, a JRT his age should have boundless energy.
I really hope you can find something to help. Have you thought about trying some Reikei healing. I had it done on a horse once and it really helped her with stifness.
My thoughts are with you please give Flame some gentle (((hugs))) from me and kisses from Milo and Shady.

I don't know how you have managed to stay so strong for Milo MM. It must be so hard - not to mention frustrating and upsetting
I have actually tried Reiki on Flame, but saw no improvement unfortunately.
Thanks for your kind comments.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2009, 02:47 PM
I have tried everything on dear old Lace and Casie befor her, hydro, osteo, accupunncture, homeopathy, bioflow collars, reiki, the list is endless.

But actually, once Ihad tried all I could/can and realised that really if I just focus on what I HAVE GOT instead of what I HAVENT< then everything seems sooooooo much better.

We all have our dogs, enjoy them whilst they are here. Forget their limitataions and revel in what they still CAN do.

And when they are gone, try hard to focus on what we had, the love we still hold, and the fact that we reamain loving people despite the loss or decline of our loved ones.

If you can somehow let go of the "i wish it was like, or I wants" and hang on to the I have still got, or I have been lucky enough to have, then for me at least, the pain begins to subside and loving feelings and peace begin to return.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
So sorry to be reading this sad news on Flame I'm wondering what that medication is (prednoleucotropin) do you know exactly and what does it actually do? It sounds steroid related with that "predno" at the beginning, but have you tried her on Metacam? We put Cassie on this and it gave her a completely new lease of life coz she was very, very stiff behind on getting up? I've had many an old dog that just lived at home, and as long as she could get in and out to the garden, she seemed to thoroughly enjoy her life, even though the younger dog was always taken out and she was left home alone, she didn't seem to care, none of them did, it was always my way with them, when I thought they couldn't handle it why bother? I know you mention about restricting her to 3 x 20 mins walks a day, but why 3, why not just the one in the mornings and let her be? You must have a nice garden she can roam around in. I'm sure they want some peace and quiet when they're suffering a bit with their hind quarters too. Georgie doesn't seem bothered at all that he doesn't come out with us late morning or evening, he's more than happy with his half hour in the early mornings. Such a sad, sad time when it comes to this Kirsty, and I've had it many a time, as you probably have, but as lotsadogs has said so beautifully, she has had an exceptional life with you, she's had everything her heart desired, and as long as she's got you and the rest of the family around, I'm sure she doesn't really care about getting out and about so much nowadays. Didn't you also say somewhere, about how happy she seemed when you got back from your holiday when your husband DIDN'T exercise her as much? Take a note of that then Kirsty, and be happy that you still have her able to mooch around as she pleases, bless her heart, such a lovely, lovely girl, my favourite in fact, but honestly Kirsty, she really has had the best in life up until now, she really has and she's very happy with that.

I couldn't recommend that Metacam highly enough, and if you're not happy with her progress on that prednoleucotropin then speak to your vet again and see what they think about changing over. All the best with your dearly beloved girl. This is really sad to hear, I'm almost in tears again now.xxxxxx Well, I am now!!!
Thanks for your comments H. I know how much your love Flame, so knew you would find this thread upsetting

The meds she is on (prednoleucotropin) are steroids, used for the treatment of her arthritis (osteo-arthritis). I did mention possibly trying Metacam to the vet, but he prescribed Previcox instead (which is apparently very similar). Unfortunately, again, we saw no improvement at all I think it is going to be a case of trying all sorts until we find something that helps.

We do have a nice garden as well as a small wooded area, the yard (where hubby's dogs are) as well as fields out the back and front for Flame to wander in to her heart's content. You know what these GSDs are like though - she won't really go out there unless I am there too She always has access to outside though if she wants it. I think she is enjoying her life - after all, she has our company practically all the time, the other dogs to boss and play with, good food, a lovely place to live, nice walks etc and so I just hope it is enough.

Thanks for your lovely, lovely comments H. It really helps.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
Hi, is it rheumatoid arthritis or another form?

My 2.5 year female has had rheumatoid arthritis since she was 9 months old. Apparently rheumatoid is considered an auto-immune disease and has been linked to damage from vaccines, although I think can also be inherited/genetic.

Up until recently I've been successfully keeping the pain away with a combination of Glycoflex III and Dog Gone Pain. With that she's been able to run and play no problem, although without it she couldn't use one of her back legs at all.

At the moment though, she's currently having a course of alternative treatment and the prognosis is looking good. She's off all the supplements now so I'm hoping she's going to make a full recovery.

So, what I'm really saying is, there can be a positive outcome so don't give up finding the right solution for her.

Good luck with her and I hope all works out for her.
Thanks Ziva. It is actually osteoarthritis. It is great to hear about positive outcomes though
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
I have tried everything on dear old Lace and Casie befor her, hydro, osteo, accupunncture, homeopathy, bioflow collars, reiki, the list is endless.

But actually, once Ihad tried all I could/can and realised that really if I just focus on what I HAVE GOT instead of what I HAVENT< then everything seems sooooooo much better.

We all have our dogs, enjoy them whilst they are here. Forget their limitataions and revel in what they still CAN do.

And when they are gone, try hard to focus on what we had, the love we still hold, and the fact that we reamain loving people despite the loss or decline of our loved ones.

If you can somehow let go of the "i wish it was like, or I wants" and hang on to the I have still got, or I have been lucky enough to have, then for me at least, the pain begins to subside and loving feelings and peace begin to return.
Gosh you are so right, Denise. And have actually made me look at things a little differently - in that, I think what I really, really want is the impossible. I want my young, fit, active Flame back and am focusing on the fact that I now have a middle-aged, slower, arthritic Flame. No matter how much I want to change that fact, I can't.

From now on I am going to try really hard to focus on the positive things! Thank you!
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »