View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 07:48 AM
So sorry to hear about Flame, it is sad when they grow old, Hope the vet can suggest something.

Elaine xx
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Sorry to hear this. Flame is such a beauty.
I hope you find something to help. Its hard to accept they age faster than we do Greenlipped mussel helped Sam a lot when he was at that stage and I knew Goldie who improved with a magnetic collar.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm sorry to hear this.

Good luck with the meds.
Thinking of you
xxxx
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this, it is heartbreaking when they start to age like this. I hope you and the vets can find something to make her more comfortable.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Fingers crossed , they can make her a little more comfortable for a little while more
Thanks for your kind thoughts Jackbox.

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
AWW bug hugs for you and flame
how old is she again?
hydrotherapy really helped bruno when his back legs were bad.
She is only 7 years old Dani, that is the most heartbreaking thing of all. Too young to be so old iyswim I have tried hydrotherapy and am going to give it another go.

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Sorry to hear this kirsty, youll know when to do your best by her. thinking of you
Thanks Mish. I can't even begin to think what might happen if the decline continues at the rate it is doing I am trying to stay positive, but it is heartbreaking to see her slowing down so much.

Originally Posted by je sterjenn View Post
Awww sorry to hear this. Have you tried the magnetic collars? I have heard good reports on them.
She wore my old dog's magnetic collar for a few months but it made no difference unfortunately

Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
I am sorry to hear about your beautiful girl, I know how hard it is to see them getting old, maybe they may find some medication that will help her for a while longer, I really hope so. Big *hugs* to you and Flame.
Thanks Heather. I know that most of it is just getting older, but I feel a bit robbed that poor Flame is *old* at just 7 years.

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Sorry to hear about Flame, as you say it is sad watching them grow old, hopefully your vet can suggest something to help xxxxx fingers xxxxx for you and Flame
Thanks YS. I am hoping there will be something that can help, although I know she will never be youthful again.

Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I feel so sad for you, hopefully the vet can make a difference and make her more comfortable.
Thanks Lionhound. It is the hardest part of sharing our lives with dogs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Sorry to read this.
It's always sad to see them slowing down but I guess it's just part of having pets.
I've noticed over the years that dogs seem to reach that age much quicker than they used to.
Perhaps Flame will like the one to one walks. You could turn into her 'special' walk.
That is a great idea Phil. I think I will styart taking Flame out on her own for a potter and a swim in the reservoir. She would definitely enjoy that.
I agree that dogs do seem to age quicker, or is it just that as we get older, time passes so much faster?

Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
SO sorry to hear this. Hopefully you and the vet can come up with some treatment options to keep her comfortable.
Thanks Muttz. The vet is sensible and experienced, and so I am sure he will be able to give me something to try and help.

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
So sorry to hear this, Kirsty. Hopefully the vet will be able to make her more comfortable xxx
Thanks Vicki. I do hope so.

Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Hugs flying your way and here's hoping the vet has some great suggestions!
Thanks Fudgeley. I am sure there must be other things we haven't tried yet.

Originally Posted by MissE View Post
I hope the vet can make her more comfortable xx
Thanks MissE. It is very sad to watch her struggling, when only 12 months ago she was still bounding around.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I agree with all of the above,
so sorry to hear flame is slowing down, huge hugs.
Thanks Shona. It is so hard. The fact she is only 7 years old depresses me. She should have years left in her yet At what age did you lose your shep?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Oh I'm sorry to read this. I hope that the vet can help.
Hugs.
xx
Thanks Lucky.

Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
Sorry to read about Flame Kirsty, like the others have said - hoping the vet can help xxx
Thank you Trixy.

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Same here hope the et can help. Xx
Thanks Lynn.

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I'm sorry to read this Moobli. HUgs x
Biff can't go out anymore as he gets too sore and picks up any bug that is going. I can't say he is totally pain free but he is certainly happy with life pottering around the house and garden. It felt awful initially leaving him at home,but it has given him more time, I am totally convinced of that as is the vet. Why not try not exercising her? Initially I thought that it would make Biff's joints worse as he would stiffen up, but he hasn't, he does as much as he can manage.
Big hugs it's awful to watch them xxx
Thanks Ailsa. I feel so guilty when I leave her to take the others out She clearly still wants to come and either stands at the gate watching us go, or paws at the back door - even though I leave her some tasty treats to compensate. It is horrible.
I am not sure I could not exercise her at all, but may try just taking her a short distance from home on her own before walking the others.

Originally Posted by Lou View Post
So sorry....I really hope the vet can make Flame feel more comfortable x
Thanks Lou.

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
oh Kirsty, I know how you must be feeling.
Particularly when the weather is nice, can you take her swimming? Kip used to love being in the water more and more - I think it was easier for him to move about and it meant that his muscles kept reasonably toned, though over the winter when he couldn't swim as much, he definitely got muscle wastage.
I guess that you didn't feel the hydrotherapy did much good?
Thanks Fiona. I have been taking her (and the others) down to the reservoir in a morning for a run/swim as it is too hot to go any distance. She loves paddling around and lying in the water, but won't swim unfortunately.
I think the hydrotherapy did help her, and am going to book her in for some more sessions. We had lapsed going because of lambing time and it was too difficult to get away.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
So sorry to hear about Flame, it is sad when they grow old, Hope the vet can suggest something.
Elaine xx
Thanks Elaine. I think the fact she is still so young (relatively) that is getting to me the most.

Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
Sorry to hear this. Flame is such a beauty. I hope you find something to help. Its hard to accept they age faster than we do Greenlipped mussel helped Sam a lot when he was at that stage and I knew Goldie who improved with a magnetic collar.
Thanks Janice. The magnetic collar never seemed to make any difference unfortunately. I guess what works for one, won't necessary work for another.

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I'm sorry to hear this.
Good luck with the meds.
Thinking of you
xxxx
Thanks Tassle. It is nice to get my worries off my chest and talk to people who completely understand.

Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
I'm so sorry to hear this, it is heartbreaking when they start to age like this. I hope you and the vets can find something to make her more comfortable.
Thanks Maria. Fingers crossed eh.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Kirsty I am so sorry to read about the beautiful Flame, so young too.
I really hope the vet can come up with something to make her more comfortable.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 10:40 AM
I know exactly how you feel Kirsty. I didn't want to leave Biff at all. I have to say though it has done him the world of good...but of course he had other issues going on, not just the pain of walking. He was getting exceptionally stressed which was aggravating the laryngeal paralysis...which made him leap about, which made him more sore...so he is now a chilled out house dog.
It was also really hard when we had to make the decision not to free run him (and when it happened with Mo) it was a heartbreaking decision...but ultimately the best one for them.

The best advice I can offer is to listen to Flame...it may be she isn't ready to give up on walks yet but it does sound like she can't do the walks she used to with the others. We ended up doing 4 10 minute walks a day at one point...which worked really well for ages. Our vets told us little and often is the best thing for them when they are sore. Taking them too far they said was cruel as they would end up hurting more.

I really do feel for you as I have been there and it's horrid. Huge hugs Kirsty. xxxxx
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »