Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lupus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2009, 05:55 PM

harness/scooter recommendations

hi there, i am looking into doing scootering/rigging possibly with my NIx, he's shown a good instinct for pulling and i'd love to expand on this, for excercise and for fun. We don't have many places where we could go to practice so i've been looking at scooters and springers as the rigs would not suit round here, but it's something i'd love to do in the future.

I've seen some scooter/springer combinations that have the whole set-up but i've also look at the ganglines etc and basically wanted some advice as to whats the best way to go as a newbie, i looked at the springers to build up stamina etc and then would hopefully move to having him outfront, hopefully with another dog, i've looked on pawtrekker i think it was, and the SHCGB site and am unsure as to what to get, so any advice would be brilliant, and please keep it basic as i have no idea about the terminolgy of everything yet!

thanks in advance
akna
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Go to snow paw store and either ask to speak to matt or peter about scootering. using a rig for one dog is not only hard work its also not allowed without a permit. You can contact your local forestry for advice on a permit. Using a scooter or a mountain bike is allowed without permit. Snow paw have varying pieces of equipment coming up so speak to them they know their stuff they also sell lines harnesses etc and their range is very good. As for racing you ni er you wont be not at the minute anyway. you can run cani cross with it but you will njot be allowed to enter races as their are no classes open to ni;s. If you had a cross breed!!!!! then you can start thinking about perhaps some sled dog registers or some open events that are coming up later in the year but you will have to have experience and your dog must know commands etc or else you will not be allowed on the trail also you will only have 1 dog so be prepared to be sitting last in your class as you will be racing against hound crosses, huskies etc that do an average of prob 20 - 25 miles an hour!!!!!!!! I think you should start running your dog on a bike then get a scooter to encourage the pull go out with someone else in front to encourage pulling and practise its a bit late now in the season but really you should leave your dogs at home and go to a rally, keep your eyes and ears open and watch and learn!
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by akna View Post
Using a scooter or a mountain bike is allowed without permit.
This is not strictly accurate - it is the fact that you are using a dog to pull you that is against the law in public places, not the mode of transport they pull you on.

If you had a cross breed!!!!! then you can start thinking about perhaps some sled dog registers or some open events that are coming up later in the year but you will have to have experience and your dog must know commands etc or else you will not be allowed on the trail also you will only have 1 dog so be prepared to be sitting last in your class as you will be racing against hound crosses, huskies etc that do an average of prob 20 - 25 miles an hour!!!!!!!!
One dog can not run in an open class (certainly not for the organisation I run with who allow some non purebred sleddogs to run).

its a bit late now in the season but really you should leave your dogs at home and go to a rally, keep your eyes and ears open and watch and learn!
The last rally of the season was today, there will not be anymore now until October.

Lupus - the Pawtrekker is a good scooter, just check the suspension. The one I tried was very 'soft' but I hear they have improved this now. There are a variety of different scooters available, I would advise you to try them out if possible before purchasing one. I prefer a 20" front wheel however I know others like the 26" front. For 1 dog a scooter is fine, I have run 3 on a scooter and that can be a little hairy! We normally train two on a scooter, anymore and I take the rig out.

The type of harness you go for is really up to you. The pawtrekkers have a brushbow (a front attachment which you harness the dogs up to) and due to the line of pull I would suggest an X-back harness with these types of scooter (or a rig). Some people prefer the shoulder harness which works better if you are attaching the dog higher up (either to the headstock or to yourself via a belt). There are many different makes of harness, my personal favourite is the Bjorkis harness however there is only the one distributor of these in the country. The ManMat harness also look decent.

The only other piece of equipment you will need is the gangline, it is up to you whether you get a 1 dog or 2 dog line (if you are planning on running two together in the near future you can always just buy a 2 dog line and wrap one tug around the other when running a 1 dog (the tug is the smaller line that comes off the gangline and attaches to the dogs harness). If you are running a 2 dog team then you will also use a neckline, these normally come supplied with the gangline if it is for more than 1 dog. Some suppliers do a dedicated scooter line however I find a 1 to 2 dog gangline more effective.

Am I right in thinking you want to attach the springer to the scooter? We have a springer which we use for general fitness but have it attached to a bike.
Lupus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi akna, thanks for the advice, i'm not planning on competing with my NIx just finding a more fun way for him to excercise and something i can keep up with as i have failing joints. I'm more a working trials/shutzhund girl( i'm a gsd fanatic) and my pooch just doesn't have the drive for that sort of work

I am looking more at a scooter as i cannot bike due to problems with my knees..yes i'm falling apart

If its against the law for a dog to pull you in public would i be better suited to a scooter and springer? I do think he would be a good weight puller, but certainly not a racer, he's fast but bleeding clumsy! its more for fun excercise and trying something that will give him the extra excercise he needs without killing myself physically. Would i need to worry about training him to pull weights or anything like that with a scooter? and are there any restrictions on him pulling in front if i do decide to go with ganglines etc? would i need to take him on private land for example?

i'm sure there will be more questions as i think of them.

Greyhawk thanks for the advice, what you've told me is pretty much what i had researched, its the fact i live on an estate which is the problem not alot of areas in which to do the job!
akna
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
This is not strictly accurate - it is the fact that you are using a dog to pull you that is against the law in public places, not the mode of transport they pull you on.

"I cannot find any law that states it is illegal to run your dog on a bike or a scooter"

One dog can not run in an open class (certainly not for the organisation I run with who allow some non purebred sleddogs to run).

"The only open class register is with ABSA which wasnt what i was referring to as i said an Inuit could not be raced in any events at present but there are open classes that you can. These are at events such as Brandon Forest, November, Wyedean Quest next year and there will be more, you obviously havent heard about them yet but seeing as i have cross breeds myself i do try and keep up to date with whats going on and if you wanted to get really into it you can run in scotland because you can run whatever you like there!"

The last rally of the season was today, there will not be anymore now until October.

"There are still a couple of fun days and stuff in march and april as i was at the AMWA rally today and it was pointed out there is a trek (AMWA) and i know ABSA have one and there is another in September at Thetford. These days may well have training or teach ins available"

Lupus - the Pawtrekker is a good scooter, just check the suspension. The one I tried was very 'soft' but I hear they have improved this now. There are a variety of different scooters available, I would advise you to try them out if possible before purchasing one. I prefer a 20" front wheel however I know others like the 26" front. For 1 dog a scooter is fine, I have run 3 on a scooter and that can be a little hairy! We normally train two on a scooter, anymore and I take the rig out.

The type of harness you go for is really up to you. The pawtrekkers have a brushbow (a front attachment which you harness the dogs up to) and due to the line of pull I would suggest an X-back harness with these types of scooter (or a rig). Some people prefer the shoulder harness which works better if you are attaching the dog higher up (either to the headstock or to yourself via a belt). There are many different makes of harness, my personal favourite is the Bjorkis harness however there is only the one distributor of these in the country. The ManMat harness also look decent.

The only other piece of equipment you will need is the gangline, it is up to you whether you get a 1 dog or 2 dog line (if you are planning on running two together in the near future you can always just buy a 2 dog line and wrap one tug around the other when running a 1 dog (the tug is the smaller line that comes off the gangline and attaches to the dogs harness). If you are running a 2 dog team then you will also use a neckline, these normally come supplied with the gangline if it is for more than 1 dog. Some suppliers do a dedicated scooter line however I find a 1 to 2 dog gangline more effective.

Am I right in thinking you want to attach the springer to the scooter? We have a springer which we use for general fitness but have it attached to a bike.
"As i also said speak to the guys at snowpawstore. Matt not only races on a rig but trains on a scooter as does his wife. Peter runs a rig and scooter (has won every scooter class this season with his siberian well until today lol) They sell the pawtrekker but it is quite heavy for a scooter and they have racing scooters which are lighter which for a non freight breed would be better"
akna
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Oh you could also think about training your gsd too, my gsd picked up running in harness very quickly, ran cani cross really well and runs in the rig or on a bike too. the distances are not too far for a gsd but as long as you put the training in and build up fitness you could run two dogs they make great dogs he knows he turns like you wouldnt believe! better than the sled dogs sometimes lol
Lupus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2009, 10:50 PM
I had thought about possibly putting my GSD in harness too when she's old enough as they will be a similar size, but purely for excercise for her, but then she's not showing any signs of liking to pull at the moment, if she takes an interest i'll try her. But i'm going to try working trials with her, i would do shutzhund but haven't trained to that level before

My worry at the moment is getting to places to try the equipment out as i'm not driving currently, so i'm thinking a few months in advance as i need to give arrow time to recover from his castration at the beginning of the month.

I will give both snowstore and pawtrekker a call and go from there, thanks guys xx
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
If its against the law for a dog to pull you in public would i be better suited to a scooter and springer? ... Would i need to worry about training him to pull weights or anything like that with a scooter? and are there any restrictions on him pulling in front if i do decide to go with ganglines etc? would i need to take him on private land for example?
Legally yes, however people do use a scooter in more places than they can a rig (this still does not make it strictly 'legal' but as long as you are respectful and considerate of others who might be around I doubt you will have a problem).

Greyhawk thanks for the advice, what you've told me is pretty much what i had researched, its the fact i live on an estate which is the problem not alot of areas in which to do the job!
Well I have been doing it for a few years now (I had to import my first scooter). Good luck whatever you decide on
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by akna View Post
"I cannot find any law that states it is illegal to run your dog on a bike or a scooter"
I would be very suprised if you could find one that mentions a 'rig' either. The law is to do with using dogs for draught.

"The only open class register is with ABSA which wasnt what i was referring to as i said an Inuit could not be raced in any events at present but there are open classes that you can. These are at events such as Brandon Forest, November, Wyedean Quest next year and there will be more, you obviously havent heard about them yet but seeing as i have cross breeds myself i do try and keep up to date with whats going on and if you wanted to get really into it you can run in scotland because you can run whatever you like there!"
Wyedean has yet to be confirmed as far as I am aware The organisation in Scotland you need to run with is SDAS and they only organised 6 rallies this year (2 of which were cancelled ). The dogs still need to be approved to go on their Open register though.

"There are still a couple of fun days and stuff in march and april as i was at the AMWA rally today and it was pointed out there is a trek (AMWA) and i know ABSA have one and there is another in September at Thetford. These days may well have training or teach ins available"
A trek? They have a Weightpull event at Banham over the Easter weekend and an organised walk in May. They also have the fun weekend in August. ABSA have their fun day in April however there are no more rallies so people will not now be able to go and watch one of these until October

Matt not only races on a rig but trains on a scooter as does his wife.
Yes I know who they are thank you, when their first dog was a youngster I ran him with my team to give him experience
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2009, 09:12 AM
It is worth contacting the forestry commission, they do allow you to run in the forest, we have someone who uses the forest behind where I live and also has permission to run the dogs in the Country Park where I work (in a remote area of the Park).

I have also seen it mentioned in the Forest Life magazine that visitors may see the dogs in training. You would probably have to pay for a permit, the horses that are stabled here have to pay £5.00 a month with restrictions at certain times of the year because of the shooting.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >