View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2014, 07:08 PM

How long did it take you to find a rescue dog?

Just curious how long it was for you between wanting a rescue dog and finding the one you wanted and then taking them home?
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2014, 07:11 PM
Mine found me...
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2014, 07:21 PM
I saw Pepsi on the rescue website and fell in love with her.

It has never taken me very long they all desperately need homes and so I choose the one closest to my needs.
Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Fate stepped in I only went to hand in some old towels ,and blankets ,at a dog shelter
1week later Sasha joined the gang
Best £58 I've ever spent
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Not a rescue dog as such but I had been thinking of another unwanted puppy, as Little One was, and I wanted a bitch puppy that would be not be big when fully grown. I did not want an older dog as it might have problems with my wheels etc but a puppy who would not know me as anything but a wheelie.

I was offered a little bitch puppy [of the minpin type] by someone on the Moshav as nobody wanted her, but as then a family member stepped in and said they wanted her.

So I put the word about - nobody spays their bitches here so there are usually puppies that nobody wants, but it was two years before I heard about the rescue organisation and that they had puppies needing homes - was emailed photos and promptly went and brought Pereg home.

So yes, she was a rescue and it took me two years to find her. And in spite of her problems I am so glad that I did.

Because I love her.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Not long. I applied to our local blue cross and they showed me two I could have and I chose right then. With Dewi I was volunteering at the blue cross and he came in as a puppy...and that was that. With Remus, I was thinking about getting another dog, heard about him as my dog walker friend knew his fosterer, I saw a photo of him, applied, past home check...and that was that. I've never been searching for a specific type of dog when looking to adopt a dog, just one that would suit out lifestyle.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2014, 08:26 PM
I love all the rescue stories
That's really interesting how in general you all seem to find the dog you want/that's right for you quite fast.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Mine have been private rehomes rather than rescues and they seem to find me. Frankie was rehomed from another member on here, Diesel from a family member, Milan was shoved under my nose because she was in dire need and related to Syd and Rio. Teddy the latest came via a work colleague of the OH who approached him because he knew we already had loads of dogs including Pugs.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2014, 08:50 PM
My Dad was looking for about 2 months before he found Sally. The funny thing is I found her on Oldiesclub and said she'd be perfect for him but he disagreed and she got reserved. Meanwhile he started looking at young male greyhounds which I knew wouldn't fit in, his main priority when getting a dog was to get one that didn't upset Scooby which meant we were primarily looking for a quiet older female since they are Scooby's favourites!

Anyway while I was talking Dad out of a 3 year old Saluki cross Sally became available again. I told him to contact them and he finally relented.

It was love at first sight. She's not the calm quiet dog she was billed to be but she is still great! I have never known my Dad love another like he does her (except for Scooby). She is his Bob, Bob was my shadow, my heart and soul and Sally quickly became the same for my Dad.

Sometimes the wait is worth it.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2014, 08:52 PM
With each of our three rescue dogs, once we had made the decision to have one we chose the rescue centre and then didn't leave until we had found one that was closest to what we could cope with.

There is no way that we could go round looking at all those dogs and not choose one!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >