View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Memories of past dogs are so precious and so vivid aren't they Maxine. At least that way they stay alive for all time
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Memories of past dogs are so precious and so vivid aren't they Maxine. At least that way they stay alive for all time
Absolutely, your life is signposted by what dog you had at that time and losts of stories about them.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Sorry, are you trying to tell me now that because he was castrated he will now die early???????
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Sorry, are you trying to tell me now that because he was castrated he will now die early???????
Who said that? I think you misunderstood Pidge, nobody said yours or anyone elses died early because of castration!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Where have you got that from?????!!!!!!!!!!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 08:45 PM
No. But I have learned that you can slow/prevent the deterioration of a coat by careful grooming. Ossie had HD and chronic arthritis which may have been exascerbated by his fluffy absorbent coat and his obssession with water and mud. No-one is suggesting a link between castration and premature death. I'm sorry if it appeared that I was.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Pidge Woody looks fine to me you should see Zak with his tufty head/thick coat/long tail/huge hairy feet and my son won't let me touch him

I would not cut Woody's coat except around the feet and the end of the tail, cutting leaves the hair in and the coat to grow thick . Instead buy a hard chalk block and a fine toothed metal comb and comb out the fluff.
You can also as Tassle suggests get a stripping knife and use this with the chalk block in a scraping motion keeping the knife almost flat. Then brush out the chalk with a soft bristled baby brush .
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
No. But I have learned that you can slow/prevent the deterioration of a coat by careful grooming. Ossie had HD and chronic arthritis which may have been exascerbated by his fluffy absorbent coat and his obssession with water and mud. No-one is suggesting a link between castration and premature death. I'm sorry if it appeared that I was.
Phew, you were freaking me out for a minute then, but then I only popped on quickly tonight.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Phew, you were freaking me out for a minute then, but then I only popped on quickly tonight.
No worries!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2010, 12:08 AM
I recall having this conversation with the vet a few years ago. She said it could affect dogs with coats like Setters and Springers
#
We had neighbours at one time who always had springers, they were always kept entire yet the coats always went woolly. I often wondered if it was because they got the dogs clipped as opposed to stripped? I used to always strip my Uncles springer [he was neutered] and his coat was always fine.

Re lacking of oils after being spayed/neutered you can help supplement this by giving your dog/bitch eveningprimrose oil on a daily basis. All of ours get it. It wont do your dog any harm and their coat will definitely benefit from it.

Ah tis a blessing to have a fine short coated dog
Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »