Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vics
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2009, 09:20 AM

8 week old pup - mucus in stool?

Hi everyone,

I've noticed for the last couple of days now that my 8 week old pup seems to have a little bit of mucus that follows his stools (sorry if TMI!). Its not blood stained or anything and his stools are not loose. He seems fine in himself and he has a great apetite (to put it mildly ).

Is this something I should be worried about and should I take him to the vets? He had his first set of vaccinations almost 1 week ago and will be going back to the vets on the 21st for his second set and a vet check. Will this wait until then or should I take him sooner?

He hasn't been allowed out of the garden yet, obviously, so I'm not sure if he could have picked anything up from just being in the garden

Thanks for your help.

Vics
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Just wondering
Has he had a change in food?
Has he been wormed?
Vics
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2009, 09:42 AM
He's on the food that came from the breeder and he's been wormed by the breeder too.

The only new thing he's had is a little bit of the kong 'stuff' squirted onto his Kong dental stick.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 10:37 AM
I would check with your vet first, but if your pup was wormed while still around its mum and siblings then he could have possibly get infected again.
It could be the stuff you put on the kong, it could be something else, if you are really worried you could ring your vets and they could tell you what to rule out first and go from there.
Vics
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
I would check with your vet first, but if your pup was wormed while still around its mum and siblings then he could have possibly get infected again.
It could be the stuff you put on the kong, it could be something else, if you are really worried you could ring your vets and they could tell you what to rule out first and go from there.
Thanks for that.

I'm going to give the breeder a call later to find out when he was last wormed and then I think I'll call the vet to be on the safe side. He's def not ill at the moment and I probably am panicking over nothing but he's my first puppy and I want to make sure he's ok.

Vics
Vics
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Just thinking about it and Beau loves to eat whatever he can in the garden, including small stones, grass, leaves, bugs, etc etc.....

Could any of this cause mucus

As I said, there's no blood and he's VERY healthy. Am I just reading too much into things and getting myself worried over nothing??

Vics
mustang
New Member!
Female 

14-11-2009, 07:16 PM
hiya, sorry if this appears 5/6 times (or not). new to posting.my dogs nearly 9yrs old now and we been through a mucus poo stage, but she was a lot older (18mnths). long story short- she was diagnosed with epi. sounds scary but she absolutly fine with tablets.
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2009, 10:26 PM
hi my dog when she was a puppy had this - it turned out it was stress probaly from all her new surrondings and leaving her mother.
take her too the vet it probaly is worms tbh like what emrad said best to get it checked out though

xx
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2009, 11:47 PM
i dont know, but it could be worms. jake had this when he was a pup, and he had worms. he had been wormed by the sspca, but when he was about 9 weeks he was sitting next to me when i big worm popped out freaked me out but i just got him wormed again and he was fine.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i dont know, but it could be worms. jake had this when he was a pup, and he had worms. he had been wormed by the sspca, but when he was about 9 weeks he was sitting next to me when i big worm popped out freaked me out but i just got him wormed again and he was fine.
Thanks Lozzibear now I want to
A phone call to the vet won't hurt,it will help ease your mind if you are stressing about it, it is good to rule a few basic things out, ie worming and food changes, stress due to new environment, but as others have said it could be more complex than that.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >