View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:40 AM

Woody, kiss goodbye to your hairy little plums!

I took him to the vets the other day for a check on something (dew claw keeps catching) and we got on to the subject of removing it when we castrate and one thing lead to another and he is now booked in on Monday. I'm cacking it!! I'm so worried for him but I want it to be done.

The vet said that as far as he is concerned Woody is an early developer and is almost fully developed at 7 months (21kgs for a Springer!!!) so he's happy to do it now, especially as he has started cocking his leg, scent marking (everywhere, outside!!), mounting other dogs and humping bedding/towels/clothing etc. He says he has fantastic weight and muscle.

We're also going to do his one remaining dew claw as it just keeps catching!

I keep looking at him loping around and thinking "you, young man, have no idea what is about to happen'! Poor little thing ;o)

I'm a bad Mummy ;o(

So what should I expect from him after the operation? Apparently he will be absolutely nutso with testosterone surges? Is this true? If so, how do I stop him climbing and jumping on everything?

p.s. no comments about not doing it and it's too early etc as the decision is made and will not be changed.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Good decision having it done,lmao at title of thread.He'll be fine,I had my Paddy done when he was around 2 and a half.Was worried sick about it but he was fine and back on his paws in no time. XXXXX
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I'm a bad Mummy ;o(

So what should I expect from him after the operation? Apparently he will be absolutely nutso with testosterone surges? Is this true? If so, how do I stop him climbing and jumping on everything?

p.s. no comments about not doing it and it's too early etc as the decision is made and will not be changed.
You are not a bad mummy!! Both my boys were done at around 9 months of age...

We had trouble keeping the Boxers 'calm and quiet', but played a lot of games in the house with them. They both hated the lampshade collars, so both ended up in a t-shirt for a few days to keep them away from the wound.

We never had any testosterone surges, however, generally Boxers are nutso anyway, so maybe I didn't notice?
I found the restricted exercise was more of a killer really.

I would be careful with his food intake for a few months. He may not need as much, or he may need more... just monitor it closely.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:56 AM
at the title!!

Bless him!
No he will be absolutly fine. He can even go for a gentle walk the next day. They recover very quickly.
Just not allowed to run through hedges for a few days in case they rip the stitches (which are usually disposable). X
Lol disposabe isnt the right word dissolvable!!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Aw woody ! manfruit no more...x
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 10:00 AM
I love you lot!! Thanks for making me feel better.

I keep having horrid dreams about losing him since I booked him in. Actually, I have them anyway but they're worse now! Such a panic Annie!

Look at his innocent little face ;o)
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 10:12 AM
We got Jack at 11 months old and he hadn't been done, he had been through hell with his previous owner and after gaining his trust, I was terrified that we were either going to lose him under anesthetic, or that he would hate us, or that he would change so much, he wouldn't be to dog we adored, but we needn't have worried, he was fine and so pleased to see us, it didn't change him one bit either

The only word of advice I have is that when you get him home and let him out in the garden put his lead on so he can't go charging about, we didn't with Jack, and we have agility jumps in the garden, he went straight out and over a jump thakfully he didn't do any damage, but the could have, and from then on it was on the lead everytime untill he was cleared by the vet

Try not to worry, and don't look into those adorable eyes too much
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Len was done and I've never regretted it. Gonads to no-nads in just a few hours.

Woody will be just fine..... unimpressed, certainly..... but just fine

x
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 10:19 AM
LOL, at the picture. If only he knew what was coming!

No experience with dogs i always have bitches and the family dogs still have there plums. I'm sure it will go well though as its a fairly simple op. xxxxx
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 10:22 AM
How cruel! The poor little man!! You won't be in his good books on Monday!

My sisters dog recovered pretty quickly after he'd milked it for everything it was worth! It was funny though as my sister was sure they'd left one in so actually rang the vets to ask if they took both balls out!

Hope it all goes ok and Woody doesn't miss them too much!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >