Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 11:19 AM

Your rescue experiences-good or bad

How many of you have rescue dogs? Three out of my four dogs are rescued, Cody (Dobe), Ben(Lab) and Tally (Vizsla).
I have also had Russ(GSP), Abby (Dobe), Rory(Vizsla), Cindy (Crossbreed), some taken on as old timers and all lived into double figures. My daughter took on a 13 yr old GSP and had him till he was 15. There is something very satisfying about giving an old dog a comfortable home in his/her old age. The majority of people wanting to take on a rescue dog ask for puppies and pass the older dog over. I'd rather take on a dog who is housetrained and out of the chewing stage. As for taking on a dog who has his/her way of doing things - well quite often those ways are good ways.

It is sad that some people have had bad experiences with rescued dogs and have been put off 'rescues', if homechecks are done properly and dogs are assessed properly, and rescue reps give help and advice as needed, then many 'problems' can be overcome. Most dogs soon settle into their new home and begin to fit in with the new routine.

So come on - lets hear your stories about your rescued dogs, and pics as well. Lets hear about your experiences with rescue organisations, good or bad, and any suggestions how things could have been better for you and your dog. Was your dog neutered by the organisation or did you have to do it yourself? Did you pick your dog or did they choose the right dog for your family? Also, have you had to hand your dog over to a rescue organisation, were you happy with the way you and your dog were dealt with? Lets hear all about it!
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 11:50 AM
My mum and dad do fostering for Rspca and such like, I have met some wonderful dogs, Roxy an overweight black Lab was the best, she taught my mums original dog Ellie (GSD) how to climb over the 6ft wall at the back and take themselves to the shop My mum was wandering around the shop when the shop keeper started going mad about two dogs walking about, my mum could have died of embaressment when she realised they were hers
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Vegas is a rescue dog and had been at the centre twice before i got him. His first time there was when he was 6 months old then again at 12 months for various reasons.I didnt have any criteria with regards to breed,sex or age when i went looking-the dog just needed to fit my lifestyle which is outdoors,but i do prefer larger dogs.

Woodgreen animal shelter in Godmanchester (where i got him from) were exceptionaly helpful when i reserved Vegas and told me all his history from previous owners (im technically his fourth owner including breeder!) and his little traits.They told me straight away after reading the questionaire i filled in that i would not need a pre-home visit and that they would pop round a few days afterwards to see how we were getting on.

They came round 3 days after,saw Vegas & i were very happy together and they were happy! I cant fault Woodgreen with how they dealt with everything-Vegas was castrated,wormed,flea treatment all prior to me getting him and i still support their charity by buying his food,toys etc etc from their shop.

For dogs-they ask for a £100 donation which is a small price considering how much they spend on neutering,worming etc.I gave them £150 cause Vegas is lovley!

Try them-www.woodgreen.org.uk
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Hollie is a rescue dog - at just 6 or 7 weeks weeks she and her siblings were dumped in a box in a park. We have had her ever since, must have been fate that I rang the centre 2 days ater they were founn, we went to look and have had her from that day. She is a great dog, we love her to bits!
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 03:46 PM
All mine are 'rescue' dogs. I had one 'bad' experience when getting our eldest.
I was told that my dog had been neutered, when in fact he had undescended testes. £130 later and testes no more.. sorted. He also wasn't assessed for sound sensitivity, and again we should have been pre-warned about this We donated £100 for him and could have easily paid a lot more for a pedigree, but we wanted to give a lad another chance.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Growing up we had a lovely rescue dog KC who got me through my parents split first time round (we're doing round 2 now or probably round 10 if you count their mini splits ) she was excellently behaved my sister got a jack russel pup when my brother was still quiet young, it was very nippy as pups are and hurt my little brother KC picked it up very gently and put it on the otherside of the room and wouldnt let it near any of us again, unfortunatly this ment the pup got very confused and had to be rehomed but it showed how protective she was and also how gentle as she was a fairly big dog (lab x we think) but she was never rough with the pup just moved her away from us!

Our next rescue is still going strong now digby (dad named our dogs their kennel number digbys was db and kc's obviously kc) he had problems with being very over protective to start but dad put alot of work in and he is now a wonderful dog, as is their lab x they took on at the begining of the year from a rescue so all good experiences here!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Have to say nothing but good experiences here too:

All my Nonna's GSD that we grew up with rescue dogs - the last and my most treasured was Zephyr who was a big pudding of a dog - he had been found tied up covered incigarette burns etc in a really bad area, terrified of men and everything in general - took him a week to approach his food bowl to start with - but a nicer dog I have never known - he was daft as a brush - no road sense whatsoever and used to like to hump anything given the chance:

here he is in later life :not the best photo as photo of photo !!

then obviously Bruno - who has to be the best dog ever !!

apart from his dislike of other dogs I adore him - his character - he is laid back but fun when he wants to be, hyper but chilled when he needs to be, a big softie, great with kids, great with all my family, settled in so quickly and I feel like he has always been there.

He will be the most missed when it does come to the end of his time and I dont think I could love another dog more than him ever again.

not sure that anyone can resist this face !!

should say that Bruno was neutured when we got him - if not we would have had him done, very positive experience with the rescue and i have never been sorry I got him even at his most trying times.

For me its rescue dog all the way - Ias much as I adore puppies there ios nothing like taking on a dog that has noone and watching him become the most importnant member of your family !!!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 04:44 PM
we had lots of rescue dogs when we were kids most good just one bad experince my sister has a scare to show for it .. the dog was nerveous and it bit her so he had to go back
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 05:43 PM
I got a lab cross puppy from Battersea Dogs Home many years ago - there were only two left in the litter, and if there hadn't been a guy behind me wanting the second one, then I would have brought them both home.

We named him Dillon. He was with us for many years, and was a dream dog. When we split up, I couldn't take him as I was in one room, so he went to my close friend who has a farm in Lincoln.

Baz and I visited him often, and he loved the life and his new family and used to go mad when we turned up, but would then settle down again when we left.

He lived to be nearly 19 and my friend was devastated when he finally died in her arms.

I am still so grateful to her today for taking him on at a difficult time for me.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 08:09 PM
It is encouraging that most of you have had positive experiences with your rescue dogs. I have done rescue for over twenty years now and sometimes you can get a bit downhearted with it. Your posts have cheered me up a bit. Thank you.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »