Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Staffer it sounds as if there is a possibility it could be Atopic Dermatitis which can be responsible for whole lot of skin problems that are allergy based.

There is a lot on the internet about it, this is just one article..
click here

and another good one....
click here

we have tested her for all that i bred her my self and none of her sisters and brothers or mum and dad who i own show any sighns of the problam
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 09:02 PM
I've got a white gsd with terrible pyoderma and he's lived on steroids all his life. He's been better since he's been with me according to the vet, as I only visit him every few months for jabs, whereas his previous owner was there twice a week every week!

My secret is Hibiscrub which is cheap and very effective! You get it from Boots or similar, it's what the surgeons use to scrub up with and it kills everything on he skin. I did away with the Malaseb etc. as it wasn't working on my dog, but this Hibiscrub does. I never, ever use anything "wet" on any sore patches, but rather I use the antibacterial powder (wound powder from a horse suppliers, or pet shops do a smaller tin/plastic bottle, but it has to be anti-bacterial whatever you get). Piritons twice a day keep it at bay when it's erupted. I don't use Frontline anymore coz I think that actually caused it in this dog, and I've met a few others who agree with this. Instead, I use Advocate on him or something else that sounds similar but I've forgotten (your vet will know!!) It kills everything including those mites which you can't see, and Frontline doesn't kill those. It could be those mites that are causing it coz you just can't see them. If any "hot spots" occur, mainly self-inflicted ones, I then resort to the f*ciderm (that was a "u") which stops it in it's tracks (you get this from your vet). Also, I make sure he is groomed very regularly, combed through, plus a finishing off body brush to get the circulation going which helps. If I left him without grooming this dog for a week, he'd eat himself raw with his itchiness!

Hope some of that helps, so good luck, it's a nightmare!
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I've got a white gsd with terrible pyoderma and he's lived on steroids all his life. He's been better since he's been with me according to the vet, as I only visit him every few months for jabs, whereas his previous owner was there twice a week every week!

My secret is Hibiscrub which is cheap and very effective! You get it from Boots or similar, it's what the surgeons use to scrub up with and it kills everything on he skin. I did away with the Malaseb etc. as it wasn't working on my dog, but this Hibiscrub does. I never, ever use anything "wet" on any sore patches, but rather I use the antibacterial powder (wound powder from a horse suppliers, or pet shops do a smaller tin/plastic bottle, but it has to be anti-bacterial whatever you get). Piritons twice a day keep it at bay when it's erupted. I don't use Frontline anymore coz I think that actually caused it in this dog, and I've met a few others who agree with this. Instead, I use Advocate on him or something else that sounds similar but I've forgotten (your vet will know!!) It kills everything including those mites which you can't see, and Frontline doesn't kill those. It could be those mites that are causing it coz you just can't see them. If any "hot spots" occur, mainly self-inflicted ones, I then resort to the f*ciderm (that was a "u") which stops it in it's tracks (you get this from your vet). Also, I make sure he is groomed very regularly, combed through, plus a finishing off body brush to get the circulation going which helps. If I left him without grooming this dog for a week, he'd eat himself raw with his itchiness!

Hope some of that helps, so good luck, it's a nightmare!
actully i will ask my vet for that its sound good thanks for the advice
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-12-2006, 10:10 PM
What do you feed her???

I ask cause my sisters Boxer bitch is allergic to poultry based food and she gets scabby lumps all over her.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 09:08 AM
That's another good point Steve! My vet has put my dog on Wafcol salmon and potato dried food, coz he said it's the only food he can have,as salmon has something special in it which is excellent for the skin, let alone the usual fish oils from oily fish! Ask your vet about it, he might agree?!
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What do you feed her???

I ask cause my sisters Boxer bitch is allergic to poultry based food and she gets scabby lumps all over her.
she is on a glyten free diet at the moment
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-12-2006, 10:44 PM
hi all thanks for you replys
she is getting better i tried advocate treatment and she has started to get better but the i did notice that she has like scabs and when i sqeeze them they bleed and they are all over her body the vet is puzzled but he said it could be the new treatment working but like i said she is not scratching she is not inpain just all these new scabs that are not open but when you squeeze them they bleed she eats well playes well and i own both mum and dad and they have no skin promlams and her brothers that went to new homes dont show any sighns of the poroblam
any more help would be grate full thanks
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Yes, my dog gets these. If he's got at them himself, then they're dried up blood, sort of all crusty, so big sometimes I wonder if there's a tick in there somewhere!! Once he's had the f*ciderm put on any "hot spots" then they go crusty too, but not bloody, just scabs. I'm glad she sounds to be on the mend, but you've really got to keep on top of this, just like you are, otherwise it can end up pretty nasty! I'm glad you opted for that Advocate too as it's very good as it kills any mites too.

I strongly suggest you go to Boots and get a big bottle of that Hibiscrub too, it's very cheap, only a couple of quid, and you water it down and use it as a shampoo, make sure you froth it up well on her skin and leave it for a few minutes. That stuff kills just about everything that might be lurking, and she will feel so comfortable afterwards she won't scratch at all. At the moment I'm trying to do this once a week with my dog, and it really makes a difference to him, not only that he doesn't have that "bacterial" smell about him - does yours have that when she's got it bad?? It would be interesting next time you see your vet, if you ask him if it's wet excema or pyoderma, he'll know! good luck with your dog, I hope you manage to keep on top of it.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Has she been allergy tested?

Its just we were having those problems with Finn and we found out what was causing it with the testing.
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2006, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes, my dog gets these. If he's got at them himself, then they're dried up blood, sort of all crusty, so big sometimes I wonder if there's a tick in there somewhere!! Once he's had the f*ciderm put on any "hot spots" then they go crusty too, but not bloody, just scabs. I'm glad she sounds to be on the mend, but you've really got to keep on top of this, just like you are, otherwise it can end up pretty nasty! I'm glad you opted for that Advocate too as it's very good as it kills any mites too.

I strongly suggest you go to Boots and get a big bottle of that Hibiscrub too, it's very cheap, only a couple of quid, and you water it down and use it as a shampoo, make sure you froth it up well on her skin and leave it for a few minutes. That stuff kills just about everything that might be lurking, and she will feel so comfortable afterwards she won't scratch at all. At the moment I'm trying to do this once a week with my dog, and it really makes a difference to him, not only that he doesn't have that "bacterial" smell about him - does yours have that when she's got it bad?? It would be interesting next time you see your vet, if you ask him if it's wet excema or pyoderma, he'll know! good luck with your dog, I hope you manage to keep on top of it.
hi thanks for the info but these are all over her body face but not on her back
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >