Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
If I saw someone using an e.collar I would probably say something, the rest no, I would not voice an opinion, unless I was asked.
Same here. Though I suppose you'd only know it was an e-collar if you saw them shocking the dog with it? I've never seen one (well not to my knowledge).

If I saw someone BEATING their dog I would not be able to keep quiet. I got in a big row in a pet shop recently with the owner who was making the 'smack round the head' ACTION towards the tiniest chihuahua and told him if he DID hit the dog I would hit him and go one better and find someone TEN TIMES BIGGER than him to hit him! (I'd taken a neighbour there to buy a kennel and she was mortified lol! She told EVERYONE about it!)

I said to him 'how would you like it if, every time you opened your mouth some giant bloke threatened to smack you round the head?' When he started making excuses about how badly behaved the dog was I stopped him short and said he shouldn't be running a pet shop with his sad lack of dog training skills. Then pointed to Bella (who'd stood silently by me throughout) and just said 'WHO has the 'good well behaved dog?' and WHO has the one that he reckons is badly behaved? It ain't the one who is threatening their dog is it?'

I left telling him I'd be 'keeping an eye on him' and to make sure I didn't see that dog IN THE WINDOW on a poncy doggy four poster (tied to it by its lead - altho it wasn't trying to get down) as I said I'D BE BARKING IF I WAS CONFINED TO THE FECKING WINDOW IN HERE ALL DAY.

Off my soapbox. About 5 years ago I did swipe a bloke who lives in the next block to me round the head with my handbag because he upset me regarding my old Cavvy. My only regret about doing it to this day is it broke the handle on my handbag and I was rather fond of that bag. I also told him that if I ever saw him in the pool I'd DROWN HIM. (He couldn't swim!) He didn't use the pool for the rest of the summer!
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2014, 07:28 PM
On the subject of e-collars, I DO think people would have something to say about if they saw one used on a dog out and about. A friend I was walking with had a GPS tracking collar on her dog, which looked quite a bit like a shock collar and when I posted pictures of her elsewhere I had a number of people asking if it was an e-collar. So, yes, can imagine people mentioning it in real life too.

Would I say anything? Would depend on the situation to be honest. I'm not very assertive or good at voicing my opinion face to face, so knowing me, I'd likely pass by without saying anything. But if I saw someone mistreating their dog, causing it to yelp, or otherwise making their dog do things it was uncomfortable with, I would be inclined to say something.

Wouldn't say anything regarding choke chains, breeding, or a dog being tapped on it's nose, unless I was directly asked for my opinion, or advice.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2014, 10:59 PM
I can and do, but only if I can engage the owners in talking first.

Confrontation never wins the day, but positive 'chat' usually makes people think especially if alternative ideas are discussed
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2014, 03:06 AM
I'll say something, it might not help but you have to at least try. There was a young man one day at the dog park with a bully pup. This guy had the idea you have to hyper correct. If the dog breathed the wrong way he got a slap in the ribs.
Several of us said he's a very well-behaved dog and you needn't do that...but he didn't stop. You know someday this pup will grow and bulk up, then tell this guy in no uncertain terms what's what...but some people just don't want to hear that there are alternatives.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2014, 05:55 AM
I don't think it's ever well received if you do say something. It's the same as criticising the way someone is raising their child. Seen as a personal criticism of them as a person and not what methods they are using.

That's why, on the few occasions I have spoken up, I just speak my mind. They might at least remember it! Or if more criticised their methods they might reflect on them?

I don't think many of us (especially the oldie ladies) would want to confront an obvious yob with a powerful dog if we were out on our own.

The only time I have was when I was so angry I could not ignore the incident. I posted about it on here at the time. Two young punks with a big staffy on Reading station laughing as it strained at the leash barking right in the face of a perfectly behaved guide dog who'd got off the same train with its owner as I had. The man had asked me on the train which side the doors would open before standing up.

I was furious. OK they held it back (took some doing) the guide dog was implacable but the man looked very scared.

No advice about dog handling from me on that occasion just a tirade of verbal abuse about what senseless idiots they were and how they were fuelling the bad rep' Stafford's get and typical of the sort of staffy owner who got the dogs a bad name.

I think they were so gobsmacked to be confronted by this female pensioner with a tiny minpin in tow and a mouth like a fishwife that they were stunned. And once more people started to join in (in response to my outraged shouts of did you SEE that? Unbelievable!) they skulked off making pathetic noises about how it didn't actually touch the dog or bite it and how they wouldn't have let it.

It was the fact they were laughing that got my goat more than anything. What sane person could think it was funny?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2014, 08:45 AM
I have persuaded someone to ditch a prong collar, and have had loads of discussion with people about breeding, once had a man come onto the NESSR stall, asking if we had any young dogs as he wanted to breed his bitch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, needless to say we did have a full and frank discussion
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Yes I would say something and have done on a number of occasions sometimes with a forced smile through clenched teeth .

Being polite and friendly with a 'have you thought of' or 'do you mind if I suggest' is my prefered approach. There there is no guarantee I will get a polite response in return but I think it is less likely to 'get peoples backs up' than a more confrontational approach .
hear hear!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2014, 09:39 AM
I can recall a clear incident where I confronted an African - American woman for snatching hard on a dog wearing a prong collar. She proceeded to get extremely angry and swear at me in an indiscernible accent.

I tried to retreat as I could see she was VERY angry for me telling her that she needed to cut that out. She stormed behind me swearing and shouting. Getting sick of being sworn at for no reason and followed, I whirled around and began to verbally defend myself. Her dog reacted, and then my dog reacted and it turned into a mess.

I really wished I had just shut up and minded my business. It did no good and almost caused a dog fight as well as a fight between two humans. People do not often take things well, and I'd rather not have to fight someone (or worse) who didn't like my suggestion.

I'm from Atlanta where a bunch of high strung "fake thugs" muck about and you can get very hurt if you poke your nose places it doesn't belong. They also may SET the dog on you, which is usually a pit bull and can (and will) do some serious damage.

P.S.
If I were old, I'd have more confidence in confronting people. Rarely do they threaten old people they just kinda ignore you and move along. This is more true if you have a small dog that is also not a threat. They get to thinking you are senile and not finding you a threat at all.

But I am a 5'9" 230 lb 24 year old woman with at least one big dog with me, a booming voice, and can be a bit rude when I find myself upset by something. This being said, people will find me much more of a threat if I seem angry and may choose unconventional (and dangerous) methods to defend themselves.
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2014, 10:51 AM
But I am a 5'9" 230 lb 24 year old woman with at least one big dog with me, a booming voice, and can be a bit rude when I find myself upset by something. This being said, people will find me much more of a threat if I seem angry and may choose unconventional (and dangerous) methods to defend themselves.[/QUOTE]

That made me LOL!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Good I guess. Laughter is good for the soul, they say!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >