Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2014, 01:39 PM

Sweaters for big dogs...

So, I got Nigredo the biggest sweater in the store last October. I had lost it somewhere and in this snow I looked for it for AGES and finally found it. Turns out he is almost too big for it now!!

I know he won't need it after he's all grown up, but he's only a yearling and though he seems to love the snow and the chilly weather even when there is no snow (suspected mountain breed mix) he starts shivering after a while without it.

He is 72 lbs (about 32 kg) and the store does not carry sweaters any larger than the one he has. The store clerk told me that big dogs don't need them and the only one that fit at the time won't fit very soon. Big dogs don't need them... blarghhhhhh.

I'm American... does anybody know where I can find a bigger one? Or perhaps a jacket (they had none of those at all in his size)? I've checked Amazon but the sizes confuse the living crap outta me!!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2014, 02:05 PM

Myra if you measure him from neck to base of tail,as far as I can make out it goes like this;
Large-46-56 cm from neck to base of tail
Extra large 56-66cm
Extra Extra large 66-77cm
Hope that helps
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2014, 02:24 PM
ebay.com - type Dog sweater

Says fits Lab/Dobe/Pit

Size dogs up to 75# 24" long on back.

Lots more
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Inches in America Lacey

18 inches to 22 inches Large
22 inches to 26 inches X Large
26 inches to 30 inches X X Large

It wasn't until Ima hit her second year that her full coat came in and since then she is super warm, Nigredo looks like his coat won't be far off

Good luck finding a coat
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Etsy probably has people that would custom make jumpers for him

If there are greyhound shops around (online) over there that might be worth a look too. Greyhounds are pretty big so you'll probably be able to find something suitable - maybe a fleecy coat (like Frodo's) rather than a jumper even

Might be a bit expensive, but Forest Fleece, where I got our new jumpers from (stand by for photo thread lol!) ship worldwide and do custom orders
http://www.forestfleece.co.uk/
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2014, 02:38 PM
I made the one I have for Daisy, coziest piece of clothing in the house

Won't take you long, what other plans do you have whilst you are holed up inside with the snow

Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Oh DD,that's fab!!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2014, 04:00 PM
DD, that is absolutely awesome. I can't make anything like that. As for everyone else, I'll check around at all suggestions. Didn't think of etsy.com Bluejay... I'll check there first.

Gotta re-measure fatso doggy though. There is NO way I'd have thought he outgrew the thing in a month, (he wore it near Christmas and it fit OKAY)

It almost seems as if he's had something of a growth spurt. At a year? No way! He hasn't lost any weight, either (gained a pound or so it looks like)... despite me measuring out his kibble to smaller amounts, and removing canned and raw foods altogether.

Grrrr....
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by DaisyD0g View Post
I made the one I have for Daisy, coziest piece of clothing in the house

Won't take you long, what other plans do you have whilst you are holed up inside with the snow

That is FANTASTIC! Wow! I was going to suggest knitting one I found dog jumper knitting patterns easily enough free on the web when I was going to knit Bella one. Alas she found the knitting and decided that a big ball of wool was the BEST thing in the world!

So I gave up, took the needles out and let her have it!

I bought her a nice knitted one (long enough, most small sizes are short too and she has a long sausage body) from Amazon. Cheaper than the wool to knit one. And the knitted one was the only one she was happy wearing.