View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 12:24 PM

Tailgate guard fitting, am I being stupid?

Before I ring the company/go running to OH when he's home, can someone take a look at these photos and tell me if I'm being stupid. I just can't see how it's supposed to fit
The interior guard fits perfectly, the right shape bits for the window at the exact height etc., as shown:

But the tailgate just seems too big, and lacking in any shaping/cutouts to allow for the plastic moulding. I've googled other Focus hatchbacks and they all seem to have this moulding so it's not like I have an unusual car. Given the size of it, and that their other tailgate guards seem to all be sized to fit inside the gap (rather than being bigger than the gap and having to be fitted behind it), I'm wondering if they've made an estate version or something :unsure:

These are the photos I found that prompted me to buy from them, this was sent along with my enquiry, the guard just looks a lot smaller and shaped for the plastic moulding in the back of this car
http://i56.tinypic.com/2pt6jc2.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/23lcu55.jpg

I've looked back at my emails and I definately said hatchback but it looks a lot like the ones they've made for estates
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 12:33 PM
All I can see is, it's definitely not for your car, it's too wide, there's no way in this world you're going to get that to fit in the hole. I'll ask Dave for you tonight, show him your pics, coz he will know straight away if it's designed for an estate rather than the hatchback.

I wouldn't play around with it any longer, it'll drive you nuts, there's no way that's going to fit is there. Have you rung then, or sent them the pics via e-mail?

I notice those two hooky bits on either side near the top, actually fit into slots in the back of the other car on the link, which you don't have any of on yours do you, so it's all very wrong for your car. Good luck, but I'll show Dave tonight, see what he comes up with, but to me it just seems wrong.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 12:35 PM
The hooks have their own brackets (it comes with a set of screws etc too) that you fit, but as you said, it just doesn't like it would possible fit in. I wondered if it was designed to be fitted from the inside (i.e. you'd have to feed it in through the rear doors then push it against the boot) but that won't work because of the plastic moulding that houses the seatbelt units. Now that I look at their gallery, all of the guards look to be designed to fit through the boot space, i.e. you remove them from the boot not through the rear doors, so definately seems wrong.
Think I'll give them a call as three people have said it's definately not me just missing something silly.
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Looks too big for the car
The one i have is fastened to the interior of the car and fitted, looks similar to the one in the links.

I'd be contacting the supplier of them as not right!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Without being hands on it's hard to tell but it needs to sit inside the vehicle so inside the boot butting up against the bodywork of the car where as you have it on the outside. Now that could be cos you can't get it inside but where you have it the boot wont close.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 12:42 PM
When I had one made for my KA they actually made it to fit with a gap around the mouldings inside the door, they should have done the same for yours.

It looks to me like they've definately sent you the wrong model as it hasn't taken into account the mouldings.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Obviously the guard should fit inside the car and go behind the mouldings so wouldnt it fit if you put it in through the rear doors? I can see you cant get it through the rear hatch opening but maybe if you tried popping it through the back doors and the butting it up to the hatch...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 12:48 PM
..., and why is your one straight across all along the bottom edge, whereas both the others in both pics from those links have the corners cut off each side at the bottom???
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Obviously the guard should fit inside the car and go behind the mouldings so wouldnt it fit if you put it in through the rear doors? I can see you cant get it through the rear hatch opening but maybe if you tried popping it through the back doors and the butting it up to the hatch...
I think the mouldings inside the car would get in the way, coz it looks even wider than the inside to me?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
On the phone now, they have the order down as estate so have made estate ones. Means they'll have to make a new one - another long wait then

Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I thought that but you can see in the last picture where the plastic mouldings are, the guard would have to go level with where the rear seats go to fit and then it wouldn't be a tailgate guard!

Doh!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >