Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
You need to meet some real people who own real dogs! So I would suggest you need to get yourself to a few dog shows or Discover Dogs and then you can ask some owners about their dogs and you'll still get lots of different opinions but at least you'll be getting them from the horses mouth!

J.
AHEM! arnt i one of those!!!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 06:06 PM
The best thing to do is get in touch with breeders (who will no doubt own multiple dogs of the breed(s) you are interested in), explain your thoughts/concerns and see what they think of your situation. The breed club is another good place to contact...although some are far more helpful and friendly than others when I was looking for my last dog.
monster hunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
Have a look at The Leonberger Club of GB site. there is loads of info on there you might find useful.

Breed clubs are a good starting point.
I had a look through the site and the gallery. I didn't get much more than a physical description of what the dog should look like and information on their health problems. Great site for information about the club, not so great for the actual dog.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by monster hunter View Post
I had a look through the site and the gallery. I didn't get much more than a physical description of what the dog should look like and information on their health problems. Great site for information about the club, not so great for the actual dog.
Try the links page
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
AHEM! arnt i one of those!!!!
No! Of course you're not a real person, you're one of those tiny ones that live in my compooter, aren't you???

J.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
No! Of course you're not a real person, you're one of those tiny ones that live in my compooter, aren't you???

J.

Oh Yeah !!!!

I still forget about that
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 01:50 PM
first of all its good to see someone doing the research

Originally Posted by monster hunter View Post
Sorry for the amount of text. I've been looking through websites and forums to find out what certain types of dogs are like. However there are a lot of inconsistencies between different websites.

Although I'm not planning on getting a dog for about half a year, I feel it is best to plan a way in advance. I've read through the working breeds section of the forums and a good chunk of general chat and still need some answers.

I have some questions that I've not been able to find a conclusive answer to. I know a lot of the answers will vary from dog to dog. This being a dog forum so hopefully I can get some great answers.

1. Multiple sites say that malamutes and other dogs (Tibetan Mastiff, Norwegian Elkhound, Husky) tend to bark a lot, however they do not explain the reasons for the barking or what the causes are. This is not much help in determining whether they will do the same in my environment.

In your experience what causes these breeds of dogs to bark and how often do they do it?

having not owned these breeds i cant really help, however we have 2 huskys that come to training which are quite vocal, they talk to their owners it makes me laugh. but i imagine they are the same as any dog for barking, different things set them off, id imagine they tend to do it as a warning for something. my nana's papillon is terrible for barking, he barks when he hears the slightest noise that isnt a regular noise in the house, a bang, a knock at the door, hes just warning us something unusual is happening.

2. Many sites express the need for a garden, however they also love to point out that dogs are pack animals that want to be inside with their family. They then go on to point out that a dog playing in the garden is not enough exercise and they need to be walked. From this information the uses for a garden appear to be for a dog toilet and from excess energy. In my experience this is true, dogs go to the toilet outside and then come inside shortly afterwards.

If this is correct why do so many sites demand that you need a garden to keep most dogs if it is not the case?

i think its easier having a garden. for instance i can just let my dogs out in the garden, not worry about them, and leave them out there for as long as i want, they can sit in the sun, and i know they have been to the toilet. however when i stay at my OHs he doesnt have a garden, so the dogs have to be put on the lead, then i have to stay out with them until they go, this is hard when my girl wont do a wee onlead!! think its more convient than anything, and maybe easier to toilet train

3. The life expectancy of dogs can vary greatly from site to site, I was wondering whether anyone new the actual life expectancy for these breeds:

Newfoundland
Leonberger
Saint Bernard

not too sure as i havent owned any of them. but i gather the bigger breeds live less than a smaller breed, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

4. Hot weather and dogs apparently do not mix. The word hot is vague. Temperature and humidity tend to be different depending on where you live. It's obvious when it's to hot as you can feel it, I'm not covered in as much hair as a dog though. For those of you living in England how hot is too hot for the longer and thicker haired breeds?

i wouldnt worry about hot in the uk not like we ever have glorious hot sumers! also they tend to shed their coats when they get warm anyway. im sure they all live perfectly fine. just responsibility on your part providing shade and water like you would for any dog.

5. You often see dogs tied up to something outside of shops, should the dog have be left at home or brought with you for the walk (assume good temperament please)?

id never walk my dog to the shops and tie them up outside, but thats not because they arent good temperment wise, they would happily say hello to everyone, which is the problem. anyone could come up and take my dog. especially being a pedigree and a bit unusual in these areas, id never risk it.

6. I read an article a while ago about dogs sleeping on the bed with their owners and that it increased health issues. Was it poppycock or good advice?

i dont believe in it. up to you and how hygenic you are i suppose mine sleep in my bed with me, they love sleeping with me, they never get in bed wet or muddy, and i dont think it causes health issues, im perfectly fine and always have had dogs in my bed since i was 12

7. Dog time is a site I have been using for a lot of information as it has a much better interface than other dog information sites. How accurate is the information given on breeds by the site?
wouldnt know about that site as i never used it. however dogsey is a great site
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3