Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 07:56 AM

Price, How is it Decided?

Just wondering how a breeder decides how much to charge? Do they look at how much others are charging near them? Do they take costs of raising the pups into account? There seems to be a huge range of prices for dogs of the same breed.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Just wondering how a breeder decides how much to charge? Do they look at how much others are charging near them? Do they take costs of raising the pups into account? There seems to be a huge range of prices for dogs of the same breed.
That is because there are different qualities of breeding within breeds. Using Labs as an example, a pet bred pup from two unregistered, non health tested dogs parents would likely cost you half the price of one from quality, health tested, worked or shown parents. Generally speaking you get what you pay for. With reputable breeders it isn't just the cost of raising the pups but paying for stud fees, health tests (which isn't cheap), showing or working the dam (again, not cheap at all), etc. Back yard breeders or puppy mills couldn't justify charging these prices as they do none of these things.
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2009, 09:08 AM
I think area plays a part as well.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Is it a question of testing the market do you think? I have seen dogs advertised with a price and then next to the price it says 'ONSO' !!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Is it a question of testing the market do you think? I have seen dogs advertised with a price and then next to the price it says 'ONSO' !!
I have racked my brain trying to figure out what ONSO is!!?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 10:27 AM
theres aslso a question of some really good owners been "priced out" so more expensive isnt always better.....sometimes just greedy!!!!
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Or Nearest Sensible Offer?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 10:52 AM
I know that I always factor in all the costs of the litter. Where some people get their prices from amazes me.

I know of someone who paid over £500 for a dog to do Obedience with & neither parent had been fully health tested. Hips & eyes yes, but no DNA tests & the breed concerned has several DNA tests available. The breeder definitely charged extra for the "breeding"& not the health testing costs.

I've already spent £1,500 health testing my dogs with a view to breeding a litter, only to find that my bitch's hips aren't good enough, so I now have to find another bitch(already booked a puppy)& have all the health tests done on her plus hips & elbows & clinical eye tests on my boys !!!!

Then & only then if all the tests are OK can I breed my litter Responsible breeding isn't cheap !
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Or Nearest Sensible Offer?
I am guessing that that is what they meant.

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I know that I always factor in all the costs of the litter. Where some people get their prices from amazes me.

I know of someone who paid over £500 for a dog to do Obedience with & neither parent had been fully health tested. Hips & eyes yes, but no DNA tests & the breed concerned has several DNA tests available. The breeder definitely charged extra for the "breeding"& not the health testing costs.

I've already spent £1,500 health testing my dogs with a view to breeding a litter, only to find that my bitch's hips aren't good enough, so I now have to find another bitch(already booked a puppy)& have all the health tests done on her plus hips & elbows & clinical eye tests on my boys !!!!

Then & only then if all the tests are OK can I breed my litter Responsible breeding isn't cheap !
Sadly many 'breeders' are not as responsible or ethical.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 11:43 AM
I was looking at stud fees too the other day, French Bulldogs stud fees vary tremendously and no where near the asking price for a pup, the pups sell for as much as 1800 quid
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >