Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 11:40 AM

Workable dog licence????

Following on from the pit bull attack, I saw this and thought it might be of interest.
Though I must say I'm not convinced these on line petitions do any good.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Newdoglicense/

If it could be made to work I wonder if it would help stop idiots like the pit bulls owner or if they''re willing to keep an illegal breed would they just carry on anyway?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 12:06 PM
i think they will jsut carry on anyway...

but i do think they should introduce some sor of dog lisence- insist dogs are all chipped etc...

i also think it should be a ponts system - bit like a driving lisence - dog gets out - 3 points... etc....

until you are deemed a useless dog owner - dog gets taken off you,....

can all hope eh?
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-07-2009, 12:15 PM
The ignorance of some dog owners is astounding. I have no idea of how many questions I have seen from people completely blindsided by their female coming in season. They have no idea that they have reproductive cycles and require careful management to avoid accidental breedings. The other day somebody asked for help with housebreaking. Rubbing the dog's nose in it wasn't working.

So I support the idea of having to learn a little about dogs to be allowed to have one.

As for problems with aggressive ones, I came across this, http://www.preventdogbites.com/Downl...ighborhood.pdf
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm all in favour of the dog liscence, I can remember when we used to have to have one, renewed yearly.
I wish there was a means test too, plus a insurance of a kind.

I'd pay for a liscence, whether it stopped numpties from having certain breeds I'm not sure it would, they would have to have some kind on enforcment to stop and check that they had a liscence on them etc.,
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 01:50 PM
If a dog licence comes in it would be administrated by the local councils. Now in my area, the Council have just voted in a dog ban on nearly all open spaces. I have to get on the train to walk my dogs. out of the area so they can have an off-lead run.
So - do I think dogs need more protection? Yes
Do I trust my council not to just ban guarding breeds / bull breeds / more than one dog / dogs in flats / dogs in the town centre / dogs if you`re old or poor?......................... No
If the animal protection laws were upheld by the police rather than a self-elected charity - that would help.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 07:47 AM
I think they should just make permanent identification compulsory. No dogs or puppies sold after a certain date with no identification. There are always going to be those that break the law but with regards to dogs the vast majority go to the vet at least for their first jabs and the vets will be more than willing to tell people they need the dog to be chipped, more money for them, so I think less would slip through the net than if there was a licence!
Becky
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 08:53 AM
I think a dog licence is a good idea..we used to have didn't we? I think they were about 7s old money

If they made the licence fee fit say £100 then maybe that would make 'some' people think twice. You will always get people that will buy a dog anyway! Like driving licence. But if you have to buy the licence before the dog and then have to produce the said licence to the breeder, rescue centre etc it might just deter even more people.

But then you have to think of the people that maybe want a dog desperatly but can't afford the £100 or whatever.

If it was run by the Gov then maybe it could work, but not local councils...they are a law unto themselves.

Maybe enforced chipping and a kind of dog register might work...have to think on that one.

Elaine xx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 08:59 AM
I really don't think a dog licence is workable and you will get some councils charging ridiculous fees making dog ownership in some parts of the country impossible. It will also affect breeding and we will end up with the only dogs being bred are the ones from people who wouldn't get a licence in any event! I know for a fact that dog breeding licences are as little as £50 a year upto over £200 as there is no general pricing policy for these licences!
I don't think a compulsory course will be any good either because what views will it take, dominance and leadership, or reward based training?
If you want to stop irresponsible dog ownership then you need to know who owns the dog and that can only be achieved by the dogs being permanently identified and hopefully up to date info!
Becky
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
I think a dog licence is a good idea..we used to have didn't we? I think they were about 7s old money

If they made the licence fee fit say £100 then maybe that would make 'some' people think twice.

Elaine xx
And I`d be in jail because I can`t afford £400 for my 4 rescue dogs each year
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 09:14 AM
hi
i personaly think that the microchip should be compulsary,(ie -the licence)no microchip no dog(sounds harsh i know)in my experience(i know not everyones like it) the people that dont want to chip usually have something to hide(they usualy have a certain breed also,i leave it to you to guess the breed,but the surgery is in london..) also to have the chip details in an ADULTS name so they are soley responsible for it(we get,but its my sons dog,etc).the data base is already there,and scanners are easily available.just my opinion tho.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >