Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i think its ridiculous....i own a chinese crested. think it is terrible wen people who show and breed pedigree dogs are being targeted wen its these cross breeds that end up in rescues because of irresponsible owners who just want money.
but people are continuing to breed dogs when there are so many without homes already, i dont agree people should breed be it a pedigree or a crossbreed. if someone breeds and gets, say 8 pups, thats 8 dogs in a rescue who suffer because the homes available to those 8 pups couldve been taken by them... that is what i think is ridiculous
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
but people are continuing to breed dogs when there are so many without homes already, i dont agree people should breed be it a pedigree or a crossbreed. if someone breeds and gets, say 8 pups, thats 8 dogs in a rescue who suffer because the homes available to those 8 pups couldve been taken by them... that is what i think is ridiculous
but saying that is 8 dogs in rescue that havent got a home because 8 puppies are born isnt to do with the breeder. if the person that buys a puppy wants a puppy then they obviously dont want a rescue dog, otherwise they would have got one.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 10:16 AM
but saying that is 8 dogs in rescue that havent got a home because 8 puppies are born isnt to do with the breeder. if the person that buys a puppy wants a puppy then they obviously dont want a rescue dog, otherwise they would have got one.
but plenty of dogs in rescues are pedigrees, so where did they come from? a breeder.

if people just stopped breeding and other people werent so concerned about have a 'perfect' dog then the number in rescues would decrease dramatically and many would have their lives saved! too many get killed because enough homes just arent avaliable. i will never get a dog from a breeder. some people just dont realise how great rescues are, i much prefer crossbreeds to pedigrees.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 10:48 AM
but plenty of dogs in rescues are pedigrees, so where did they come from? a breeder.

if people just stopped breeding and other people werent so concerned about have a 'perfect' dog then the number in rescues would decrease dramatically and many would have their lives saved! too many get killed because enough homes just arent avaliable. i will never get a dog from a breeder. some people just dont realise how great rescues are, i much prefer crossbreeds to pedigrees.
im not saying that there is anything wrong with rescue dogs. i know how great they are i have owned 2, and one was an amazing family dog, the dog i have now is the first dog that i have had since she was a puppy, my first dog max was 5 when i got him and hes still going strong at 10 living with my mum (he was a family pet so naturally stayed with the family when i moved) im just saying i think it is irresponsible of people who breed crosses on purpose to make money with the whole "designer dog" label.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 10:53 AM
im not saying that there is anything wrong with rescue dogs. i know how great they are i have owned 2, and one was an amazing family dog, the dog i have now is the first dog that i have had since she was a puppy, my first dog max was 5 when i got him and hes still going strong at 10 living with my mum (he was a family pet so naturally stayed with the family when i moved) im just saying i think it is irresponsible of people who breed crosses on purpose to make money with the whole "designer dog" label.
i just think it is irresponsible to breed at all.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 11:14 AM
i just think it is irresponsible to breed at all.
If no-one bred then none of us would have dogs!
Becky
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 11:25 AM
totaly off topic i know but you can get puppies in rescue, i got ben as a tiny pup and there were four other litters and a pregnant bitch in the dogs trust when i was there, some pedigree some crossbreeds

i agree that in a world where there are less homes than dogs produced the every breeder has to be aware that every dog they produce condems another dog to death

i agree designer crossbreeds are a horrible money making scam and it should be stopped, but i also think that just because a dog is a pedigree dosent make it a great dog or any more worthy to breed from than a mutt
most people who breed shouldnt
and people wanting a family pet should consider rescues rather than many of the questionable breeders out there who are cashing in on the snobbery for pedigrees when they are little better than puppy farmers with papers
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 03:02 PM
totally off topic but I had to reply to the breeding thing. Preventing breeders is not going to solve anything... education will! If people learn how to go about appropriately getting a dog (rescue or VERY responsible breeder) then the puppy mills and byb will be put out of business.... this is where we should be focusing, NOT trying to stop breeders. I have 4 rescues, I have not, nor will I ever buy a dog, and infact am the treasurer for a rescue here in Canada... but without responsible breeders, we wouldn't have any dogs! It's the puppymills and byb's that are to blame for the pet population, NOT responsible breeders!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
If no-one bred then none of us would have dogs!
Becky
but with the vast number of dogs out there in need of a home it would take a long time. IMO breeding should be strictly controlled so breeds dont die out but people shouldnt just be breeding for fun or money. i personally find it hard and completely heartbreaking thinking of all those poor dogs who, through no fault of their own, are stuck in a kennel alone and they may get killed purely because there arent enough homes out there!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
totaly off topic i know but you can get puppies in rescue, i got ben as a tiny pup and there were four other litters and a pregnant bitch in the dogs trust when i was there, some pedigree some crossbreeds

i agree that in a world where there are less homes than dogs produced the every breeder has to be aware that every dog they produce condems another dog to death

i agree designer crossbreeds are a horrible money making scam and it should be stopped, but i also think that just because a dog is a pedigree dosent make it a great dog or any more worthy to breed from than a mutt
most people who breed shouldnt
and people wanting a family pet should consider rescues rather than many of the questionable breeders out there who are cashing in on the snobbery for pedigrees when they are little better than puppy farmers with papers
i completely agree with you. and 'i agree that in a world where there are less homes than dogs produced the every breeder has to be aware that every dog they produce condems another dog to death' is worded perfectly, thats what i was trying to say but you said it so much better lol
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >