View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 09:33 AM
For all those that have veg patches and want a chemical free way of getting rid of slugs and snails get a meat breed drake! They don't do as much damage to your garden as chickens and they will keep your garden completely free from slugs and snails! They are also great to have around and you only need to provide them with a small 'pond' to keep their feathers clean!
Becky
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I use egg shells - luckily my son is a chef so he saves them for me to put round my hostas.
I've used beer in the past, ina cut out layed down bottle - but not now as Tilly would drink it and get drunk I've used vaseline on pots & I've also heard copper wire helps but haven't tried this.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Won't ever be used here, neighbours opposite lost their yorkie years ago to slug pellets..happened when they were having a bbq, have never witnessed such a horrific series of events let alone horrific way in which an animal to die in my life
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
For all those that have veg patches and want a chemical free way of getting rid of slugs and snails get a meat breed drake! They don't do as much damage to your garden as chickens and they will keep your garden completely free from slugs and snails! They are also great to have around and you only need to provide them with a small 'pond' to keep their feathers clean!
Becky
Ducks?! Do much more damage in the long term to land and plants - we have 6!

Whilst they will eat slugs and snails etc, they will also help themselves to young plants, fruit etc; and they can also be very destructive with the land generally...

But, if you fancy getting a duck, why not get a laying female? Then you have eggs and pest control!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Ducks?! Do much more damage in the long term to land and plants - we have 6!

Whilst they will eat slugs and snails etc, they will also help themselves to young plants, fruit etc; and they can also be very destructive with the land generally...

But, if you fancy getting a duck, why not get a laying female? Then you have eggs and pest control!!
Mine never did any damage! Apart from slugs and snails! I don't like duck eggs which is why I get a drake!
Becky
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Mine never did any damage! Apart from slugs and snails! I don't like duck eggs which is why I get a drake!
Becky
My quackers eat EVERYTHING (except nettles)... and the ground is alternately stomped flat or dug up (looking for grubs)
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
My quackers eat EVERYTHING (except nettles)... and the ground is alternately stomped flat or dug up (looking for grubs)
Ahh you must have the breed of ASBO ducks lol!
My geese were terrible, but they did eat nettles!
Becky
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Ahh you must have the breed of ASBO ducks lol!
My geese were terrible, but they did eat nettles!
Becky
Yup - they are ASBO ducks - they hang around outside late at night making noise, and have to be herded to bed!!!
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I dont use mine on the dogs patio but i do use it on the rest of the garden. However i make sure i get ones that say 'children and pets need not be excluded' so i imagine they are must less toxic? Anyway neither the cats nor the dogs eat the stuff which is good!
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Why don't people use these if they really must use slug pellets....all garden centres sell this.

Growing Success Advanced Slug Killer is a truly ‘advanced’ Slug Killer because it is the only completely safe blue pellet that will only kill slugs and snails, and will not harm children, pets, birds, animals or wildlife etc. This product has already enjoyed overwhelming success in Europe and America.
It also remains effective after both rain and watering.
SUITABLE FOR ORGANIC GARDENING

Further information

Growing Success Advanced Slug Killer is a truly 'advanced' Slug Killer completely out dating all Slug killers of the past. It will only kill slugs and snails, and will not harm children, pets, birds, animals or wildlife etc. if used as directed. This product has already enjoyed overwhelming success in Europe and America.

Growing Success Advanced Slug Killer is an important breakthrough in slug control, with many environmental benefits:

It will only kill slugs and snails. There is no secondary poisoning of birds or hedgehogs etc. and they are completely safe even if they eat the pellets so long as the product has been used as directed.
It is based on ferrous phosphate (iron phosphate - which is an organic compound) plus a bait, thus making it attractive to slugs and snails.
The slugs and snails are attracted to the bait, ingest the pellets and then crawl away to die, leaving no dead slugs or snails around and no unsightly slime. Any bait not eaten breaks down rapidly to iron and phosphate nutrients as part of garden soil.
It is safe to handle and apply
It can be used safely around ornamentals, fruits and vegetables
It is suitable for organic gardening

Find them at the link below.
http://www.monrobrands.com/growingsu...m_Recordset1=0
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >