Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I used to love my Hunters, but had the same problem as you, with them splitting within six months or so Got some Le Chamaeu neoprene lined ones (£150 ) for Christmas two years ago and love, love, love them ... they are sooooooooo comfy and warm.

Yes Le Chamaeu all the way! Now just to save up! *counts pennies in her pocket*

Saying that my horse riding boots- Mountain Horse ones were FAB!!! Kept my feeet dry and warm; Walked dogs, worked on my feet 14 hours a day 6 days a week + riding in them and they never let me down. However the qaulity of the Rimfrost paddock boots have decreased in recent years so I have been told They really were a godsend though, lasted me 3.5 years!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Croc wellies for me!

rune
Oooh, didn't realise Croc did wellies! I wear Crocs all year round, instead of slippers in the house and around the caravan at shows. I'll have to investigate their wellies. I have quite wide feet with a high instep so I think it puts quite a lot of pressure on that part of the welly which is probably part of the problem and why I can't get away with cheapie ones.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Croc wellies for me!

rune
I live in Crocs, summer ones, boots, even ordered winter ones from US, so comfy. My one gripe is that the tread wears down too fast, I never get more than a year out of them.

To answer the OP - I can see why people and dogs enjoy HTM, but you wouldn't catch me wearing some of those outfits in public!

I had hoped to show my Affens, just because I enjoy being around other people whose eyes don't glaze over when I talk about my dogs...ad nauseum! It wasn't to be so we're doing agility which is a lot more fun!

J.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 06:09 PM
There are dog sports I'd love to be involved in and dog sports I wouldn't, but I can see the draw for some people.

I love:

Agility. We're doing this now and it's really brought about huge changes in my girl's personality. She was never a really timid dog, but she's so much more confident now! And she's more playful. I love seeing her even happier.

Dock dogs. I can't believe no one has mentioned this (that I've seen). I love it! Dahlia could NEVER do it (she won't swim) but I would love to someday have a dog who would be into this because it looks seriously awesome and the dogs look like they're having a blast!

I also love freestyle, HTM, and flyball. Freestyle, especially, looks like a total blast. And I could combine my love of music, my old dancing skills, AND dog training! Alas, we just haven't gotten around to doing it. Maybe someday if there are classes in the area we will.

And I would love to get involved in herding but I (a) have no sheep and (b) live nowhere near anyone who has sheep and (c) the nearest sheep herding classes are a few hours away.

The ones I just don't "get" are:

Competition obedience. It's just too strict and too exact. I don't care if my dog can sit in just the right position or heel in just the right position.

Shutzhund. I guess maybe I would get this more if I had the type of dog who would be into bitework, but I'm not much for training my dog to attack on command.

Weight pulling. I'm sure the dogs love it. Just not my thing.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I can`t stand weight pulling. I think it`s bad for the dog physically and is an activity where the dog is set up to fail. (Weight is increased till dog can`t move it).

this is a personal view. If you love weight pulling tell us why
My girl LOVES weight pulling - from the dogs POV they never fail - when they can't (or won't) pull, the cart is pushed through to help them and they are then praised and rewarded.

Noobs is very clever - she never fails - she looks at the weight and when she thinks it looks too much she doesn't bother - but she sure loves it - never see her so excited as when she sees her WP harness - although she is the calmest WP dog around very steady and sensible - the pic above is so bizarre cos she never does that!!!

Above is my boy North (RIP) he loved it too - but not as much as he loved the colour pink

Will train Pixie pup up when she is older too She will LOVE it I am sure - she enjoys watching
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 07:20 PM
I'm not a fan of HTM or any kind of doggy dancing. I dont find it entertaining but I can fully appreciate the hard work that is put into it. I just find the whole thing a bit cheesy but i'd not knock anybody for doing it.

Since I like to see dogs getting dirty and doing a days work, showing bores me silly. Like I said in one of the other threads, to the untrained eye individuals within many breeds look the same so watching a ring full of vizslas for example is a bit samey and uninspiring.
The intense grooming and fluffing up of some of the breeds by some owners I think is a bit like an OCD. I understand that Crufts is the biggest dog show and in order to get placed, the dog has to be it's absolute best etc but I do find it amusing and think it's taken far too seriously sometimes.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 07:25 PM
R.E the wellies discussion (I post and then read the replies!)...

I used to have just the plain green cheap wellies but then had some Aigles bought as a present. Wow! I've walked the length and breadth of the Peak District in them and they are totally comfortable (apart from making my inner thighs ache but I view that as a bonus!), you just have to have the right socks for ultimate comfort.

My Mum always says "I dont know how you can walk so far in wellies" but she's never tried Aigles...!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 07:51 PM
...i have tried(and competed in some) a few of the activities listed....my fav is defo agility.

.. personally i do not enjoy competitive obedience(but i like watching it)
...same as showing..can watch it,understand why peeps like it,just dont want to do it

..re schutzhund ....is not out of control willy nilly biting...it is a 'trained' controlled dog,you are using the dogs natural abilities and controlling it.... id rather be around a schutzhund ring than near a load of hyped up fly-ball dogs

i would like to do schutzhund or working trials with Tupac.

...also working dogs in harness is fun too.

wellies...i had le chameux(sp) too...cept a certain sibe munched one when she was a pup i loved em

eta... im sooo rubbish at explaining things lol
spot
Dogsey Veteran

28-01-2011, 09:10 PM
I dont understand showing - been and seen and still not my thing but I do know that some people who show are fab people - especially borzoi showers.

Most things I can see that the owners and the dogs are getting a lot out of it whether it be HTM (Ive seen Mary with her hounds and they are fab). Flyball looks nuts to me but tippy would love it. So long as the dogs are happy and having fun where's the harm?

The one thing I dont get and actually HATE is of course commercial dog racing and everything that goes along with - dumping dogs in rescue when they have served there purpose or are injured or just to slow. Getting rid in other ways .
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
Yes Le Chamaeu all the way! Now just to save up! *counts pennies in her pocket* Saying that my horse riding boots- Mountain Horse ones were FAB!!! Kept my feeet dry and warm; Walked dogs, worked on my feet 14 hours a day 6 days a week + riding in them and they never let me down. However the qaulity of the Rimfrost paddock boots have decreased in recent years so I have been told They really were a godsend though, lasted me 3.5 years!
And me, have had mine for over 8 yrs now, still as good as new, they do cost a lot, but compared to other wellies, you get what you pay for,

I wear mine in summer and winter, and could walk all day in them.
Page 5 of 24 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »