View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2011, 07:04 PM
My Little One was 11 years old when I rescued Pereg as a tiny pup, and the LO just accepted her.

She did get a bit fed up when Pereg was in the stroppy teenager mode so would go into the bedroom and on the bed for some peace and quiet, but they got on fine. And then just a month before her 12th birthday my Little One died, and Pereg kept looking for her for ages.

I would have loved to have been able to rescue another pup but really would not have been able to cope by then, and now, of course, it is totally out of the question.

But oh how I would love another pup, especially as I know that Pereg will be the last dog who will ever share my home.

S I G H
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Although my dogs have a strong bond together, their bond with me doesnt suffer because there are 3 of them. Jessie is the follower out of my lot and takes alot of confidence from being with the 2 boys. Try and take her out of the group to do something individual with her and she struggles, she's constantly looking round for the others or trying to go back to them.

I think with the 2 boys, they've always had different training needs and their own disciplines so i've spent alot of time with them on their own and built up that bond so they can focus on me and be their own entity rather than relying on each other. Jessie has always had other dogs to fall back on (in her previous home she spent her life with her brother) and i've never done any training with her so never had that one to one time.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 03:09 PM
i can honestly say i dont love daphni any less than i did when she was an only dog... she hasnt suffered in anyway by adding a second dog in, infact its better for her, she loves asbo

i dont love asbo any less because hes my second and not my first.... i still do things with both of them separately.. and i love watching them together, its good for them to have someone who is like them, no human hand with a tuggy toy can subistitute for roughing and tumbling with another dog
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Flint is very close to me, but likes company of the other 2.
Simba would cope very well on his own, as would flint.
but all in all i think they like being ina pack.
Gemma is great with the others.
I dont think their relationship is compomised with me whatsoever
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 04:25 PM
I went from having 2 dogs, to 1 dog, to 3 dogs within 4 weeks

They do prefer my company to being with each other. I take them all out seperatly on morning so they get their own time & take the 2 biggies out together on an evening & Sasi still on her own evenings as shes just a pup & gets around 10mins.

They all have their cuddles on the settee seperatly on a night time, when one gets off the settee the next one will jump up while the other 2 snuggle at my feet

They can all be left alone without a huge hooohaa (well except the littlun but she squeals for fun at the best of times )

I love them all to bits & dont treat any of them differently to the others.

Bev x
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 06:11 PM
I am not sure how to answer this as I have never had just 1 dog. The only time I did was for a few months after Morse died and we were waiting for Ludi.

My 2 love each other and love being with each other but they are still very bonded with me. Like others have sadi I do make a point of not always taking them out together so they don't rely on each other.

Also like others have said it is mainly the scrabble to get in with the hugs first
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 07:39 PM
My 3 are definatley bonded with me but will default to each other if I'm not there

I think taking them out seperatley for training purposes especially when they first come builds that bond and they each have their own cuddle time. Poppy follows me into the bathroom when I go to the loo or cuddles up next to me on the sofa! She's not a dog that particularly like lots of fuss she just enjoys being near you. Kiara will come up and nudge my arm when I'm sat down - she usually lays in her cage and I don't allow anyone in there when she's in it as it's her space so I leave her be and Bailey well Bailey is a cuddle monster and will mug you for loves but once you've started you can't stop!!! He's quite difficult to eject from your knee at 7stone too
When I'm not around Kiara looks to Poppy and Bailey sticks to Kiara and they're quite happy that way!!!

It was difficult introducing my OH to them and getting them to respond to him but it was quite funny watching him try!!!
Bailey still looks for me when out walkies but his bond with me is probably more of a need and his trust in me to keep him safe so he's a bit different to the others
NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2011, 08:24 PM
I've often wondered/worried about this, having only had the one dog and of course wanting more- so this is a very reassuring thread, thankyou guys!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2