register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: How should we decide if a dog is a breed?
Stay as we are 12 40.00%
Use FCI registration 16 53.33%
By some other criteria. Suggestions in a post please 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
it doesn't mean that those judging the non recognised breeds haven't gone and had a look at the relevant breed standard.
Becky

Indeed This years Unrecognised breed class Judge even making the effort to post a thread for everyone showing the standards and basic histories of all the breeds represented in the class, a rather thoughtful and helpful gesture I thought
[ wish I`d though of it first ]

Unreconised breed's googled.

The fact that this class is included and is given the same respect as the recognised breeds classes, plus the crossbreeds, and Lurchers / Longdogs having their own `posh` classes in the Show Posed classes in our Virtual Show, [ our nearest equivalent to companion show pedigree classes ], I think represents well the equal opportunities aspect - the FCI don`t give that level of respect that`s for sure, maybe we can teach `em a thing or two

ps, apologies for using our show as an example because obviously our show is`nt run by, or for, any KC or the FCI, it just seemed an opportune way to explain why the classes are run as they are because much thought did go into this aspect as is demonstrated not only by the class types but also in the way each Pedigree class does invite people in countries where their breed may not be recognised there but is recognised by the UK KC so that they can enter within the recognised breed groups with us even if not under their own KC
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 07:19 AM
But it has always stated that the show is held based on UK KC rules. To be honest the numbers of breeds that have been exhibited in the virtual show that do not fit into the KC breeds/groups is tiny. To change it all to FCI breeds and groups would be pointless and it doesn't mean that those judging the non recognised breeds haven't gone and had a look at the relevant breed standard.
Becky
I did not mention the virtual shows, did I? I was talking about the forum in general. Why do we always set dogs and breeds against the UK KC lists of recognised breeds? If there is some reason for this OK but if not it must insult those who own show dogs elsewhere in the world and could put people off. If this site is to grow and grow it can’t afford to be insular.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 08:44 AM
The simple fact is this is a UK based forum with a massive UK member base. If I joined a continental forum I wouldn't insist that they change things to suit me, I'd just fit on in there.
I really don't understand where you see a problem, as far as I can tell there has never been a complaint about people with non UK KC recognised breeds being made to feel less welcome than anyone else.
In fact when people come on here stating they have x breed many members ask loads of questions about those breeds as we all, or most of us, want to learn, we know that the UK KC list isn't conclusive and that there are many different breeds out there that aren't yet here in the UK.
Becky
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2008, 02:27 PM
I think it may have bothered me a few years back! It's taken 16 years in this country to be fully recognised by the KC, although it's been in it's country of origin for centuries.

I could not show at companionship shows etc. in breed classes for years as we were not an accepted breed herein the UK. Other breeds though are accepted within two or three years that were only a breed a few years ago.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Now this forum is truly international should we be judging if a breed is recognised or not by whether or not it is recognised by the UK Kennel Club because it has a KC recognised standard.

So should this forum accept the FCI accepted breeds and stop using the UK Kennel Club’s list of recognised standards as a certification as to whether the dog is a recognised breed or not?

Should we accept that either a dog belongs to a breed recognised by the FCI or it is not a breed?
I'm not sure this forum DOES see things that way does it? I've never seen of any established breed being 'damned' because it's recognised by the FCI and not our KC.

I'm at a loss to see what the point of your post is - maybe you could elaborate further if you have a specific incident in mind?

Debs
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2008, 03:33 PM
It was not anything in particular that made me wonder just that we have a section labelled Non-recognised breeds and I found that strange because if they are not recognised they are not breeds because if they are breeds they are recognised as breeds. See what I mean. For instance according to this forum the Masiff if you own a Neapolitan it is recognised if a Brazilian or a Spanish it's not, a Australian Cattle Dog is recognised but a Kelpie is not although it is probable the most popular of Australian working dogs. All the dogs mentioned are recognised by the FCI by the way.

Believing that this site will become more and more international I wondered if the time had come when we stopped using the term non-recognised breed for breeds that are recognised as breeds even if not as far as the KC is concerned as they are only likely to list breeds that are numerous enough to be shown in the UK.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Ah that section is for those breeds that are of relatively recent creation. So therefore they are not, as yet, officially recognised.
Becky
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Ah, I see where you are coming from now Pita, but I se it differently in terms of how the forum covers it all.
When people look at the index, these are the categories they see in the breed section here :

Hounds
Working Dogs
Terriers
Gundogs
Pastoral Dogs
Utility Dogs
Toy Dogs
Other Breeds or Crosses
Mixed & Crossbreeds
Bull Breed Dogs
Non-recognised breeds

Non-recognised breeds and crosses are not shoved aside as though less important to us, they are embraced by having dedicated sections exactly the same as the recognised breeds groups.

How many other forums give that kind of respect to make sure there is somewhere that all our dogs can be treated as equals in our eyes despite not being so regarded in the eyes of the FCI and KCs around the world
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Ah that section is for those breeds that are of relatively recent creation. So therefore they are not, as yet, officially recognised.
Becky
Then perhaps it should be called something else as last time I looked it contained at least one breed that is recognised as did the recent virtual show class for un-recognised breeds.
May be breeds under construction or breeds under development would be better or perhaps recognised cross breeds, that would include things like the Lurcher, working sheepdog, Jack Russell and the Labadoodle
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Then perhaps it should be called something else as last time I looked it contained at least one breed that is recognised as did the recent virtual show class for un-recognised breeds.
May be breeds under construction or breeds under development would be better or perhaps recognised cross breeds, that would include things like the Lurcher, working sheepdog, Jack Russell and the Labadoodle
I think this is a good point.

Although not sure about the 'Labradoodle', as they have no Standard and as far as I'm aware, are not a work in progress, they are just crosses, that never look alike !
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >