register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: How should we decide if a dog is a breed?
Stay as we are 12 40.00%
Use FCI registration 16 53.33%
By some other criteria. Suggestions in a post please 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 10:39 AM

Unrecognised Breeds? A misnomer?

Now this forum is truly international should we be judging if a breed is recognised or not by whether or not it is recognised by the UK Kennel Club because it has a KC recognised standard.

Surely the only criteria we should use is if a dog is recognised by the FCI (Fédération Cynologique Internationale) or an affiliated national kennel club or association.

If a dog does not belong to a breed recognised by the FCI it is not a breed but a mongrel or a cross breed unless you accept a “Breed under Construction” if you do then add that to those who are not a ‘ true breed’.

So should this forum accept the FCI accepted breeds and stop using the UK Kennel Club’s list of recognised standards as a certification as to whether the dog is a recognised breed or not?

Should we accept that either a dog belongs to a breed recognised by the FCI or it is not a breed?
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 11:42 AM
I agree with you
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Something I had never thought of before, but you are right, this is an international site and this should be reflected in the recognised breeds
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 12:45 PM
In what context are you talking about? I think we discuss any breed that is recognised in it's own country of origin without any issues so I can't see where the problem is.
Becky
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 01:02 PM
This was something I considered with regards to the Virtual Show.
I decided that as the majority of members at the moment are UK based, that I would use the UK KC as the guideline for the Show Posed classes.
In doing so, I decided to include a dedicated Unrecognised Breeds class, to be treated with the same respect as the recognised breeds.
That way no established breed, recognised or not, is excluded from the `formal` style classes regardless of owners` country of origin.

In the more Novelty type classes, where there are separate `strings` in those for purebreds and crossbreeds, I decided that Unrecognised but established breeds, [ regardless of any countries recognition of them or not ], can be entered as purebreds in those classes rather than the UK KC stance of considering them to be crossbreeds.

Obviouly our show is a fun one so and I can be flexible as a result, but I did feel that I had to consider this aspect for it.

In the bigger scheme of things, I don`t know if the FCI should be the benchmark, as so many countries would still have long established breeds which may never be included, I would rather see continuity between all countries own KCs to recognise the same breeds as each other.
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post

In the bigger scheme of things, I don`t know if the FCI should be the benchmark, as so many countries would still have long established breeds which may never be included, I would rather see continuity between all countries own KCs to recognise the same breeds as each other.
I agree with Patch on this one
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 01:42 PM
As I understand it most countries kennel associations are affiliated to the FCI I may be wrong but I think most are.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm still at a loss to see what the actual problem is?
Becky
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Only that some of our members may find their dogs classified as not recognised when in fact they are recognised by the FCI & their own countries kennel association. If this were a UK only site no problem using the KC's standards but we are not. Just thought we should be an equal opportunities forum.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 05:19 PM
But it has always stated that the show is held based on UK KC rules. To be honest the numbers of breeds that have been exhibited in the virtual show that do not fit into the KC breeds/groups is tiny. To change it all to FCI breeds and groups would be pointless and it doesn't mean that those judging the non recognised breeds haven't gone and had a look at the relevant breed standard.
Becky
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >