Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
With that said Phil, just out of interest, which of the two closest matches the Breed Standard ?
Hiya

Do you mean out of the show / working ESS ?
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I'm not biting LOL

All I'll say is...............

If you go on a 'shoot' you'll find most Springers are shorter in the leg and lighter in the body.

It's all about length X height.

Show Springers are bigger on the whole but tend to have a taller height against length ratio.

It's not that a 'show' springer is no good at working but the physical attributes that 'working folk' value, tend not to be the attributes that the breed standard 'encourages'

I can only go back to your original point and say the breed standard fits show dogs but isn't the 'proven choice' frame for most working spaniels.

What do you think about the 'new' diplomatic Phil eh !
The same applies to rotts Phil, Re: length to height ratio, too many rotts don't conform to the 9/10 rule, they have nice heads and sleek bodies, look great in the ring, but that's about it IMO.

A diplomatic award is winging it's way to you my friend.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Hiya

Do you mean out of the show / working ESS ?
Yes, sorry. I've not looked into the breed so I couldnt say one way or the other, but yeah, which of the two types (showing/working) are closest to the standard ? I know what you said in your post, but just wondered, as I know the standard for them has been around a long time and I assume was formed by the working folk first ! (I could be wrong )

Hope that made sense that time
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-02-2008, 01:37 AM
Look at a show Springer and then look a working Springer.

You will see an obvious difference.

I don't pay too much attention to the breed standard as I don't breed so...me not being a 'showy' guy I can only asume that those in the ring lean toward the breed standard as I see vast differences to the types selected by working breeders.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2008, 01:43 AM
Look at a show Springer and then look a working Springer.

You will see an obvious difference.

I don't pay too much attention to the breed standard as I don't breed so...me not being a 'showy' guy I can only asume that those in the ring lean toward the breed standard as I see vast differences to the types selected by working breeders.
I've never seen a working springer, only show springers, so I've not had the opportunity to compare, and as I'm not familiar with the standard I wouldnt know what to look for I just thought I'd ask
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-02-2008, 01:58 AM
What are you like LOL

You know fine well IMHO

I'm not going to spark another Springer debate.

All I can suggest is that you buy the Shooting Times then watch Crufts and hope a Springer makes the telly as a 'gundog' and compare. LOL
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2008, 02:13 AM
LOL, no seriously, I'm genuinely interested to know who formed the standard for them, and who follows it now ! If it was the working people that formed it, surely they would still be following it, and if the show people formed it, how did they get to those conclusions in the first place ? ie, why choose a standard that doesn't fit an already existing working dog ? or has the working dog in itself changed through not following the standard ?

Does that make sense ?

I would be interested, and at the next show I go to, I might just tag a few ESS people and ask
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2008, 02:25 AM
according to the wiki page they have had seperate gene pools (perhaps USA?) for at least 70 years.. so depending on when the standard was formed, it can't have been useful to working people for very long... oddly this is quoted directly from the KC website:

"If you want to own a dog capable of performing at a day’s shooting you are more likely to succeed if it comes from working stock. Some dogs which have been bred for the show scene, or simply as pets, may have lost much of their working and hunting instinct, which is vital in Working Gundogs."
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
according to the wiki page they have had seperate gene pools (perhaps USA?) for at least 70 years.. so depending on when the standard was formed, it can't have been useful to working people for very long... oddly this is quoted directly from the KC website:

"If you want to own a dog capable of performing at a day’s shooting you are more likely to succeed if it comes from working stock. Some dogs which have been bred for the show scene, or simply as pets, may have lost much of their working and hunting instinct, which is vital in Working Gundogs."
That's interesting. So the KC admit that the standard is more geared toward the show type, as apposed to the working type !!

Surely the working people have followed some type of standard at the beginning though, or we wouldnt have a recognisable dog, it would still look like a mongrel of sorts ?!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Good luck
Page 5 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »