View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2009, 12:14 PM

And THAT is why my dogs accompany me to work!

When I opened the shop, I knew I wouldn't be able to run it alone without the dogs with me as I wouldn't feel safe.

Okay, so Eddy's pretty useless but I suppose the barking could be seen as a deterrent... Takara on the other hand, I know she's here to protect me! She's still getting used to people coming in but shuts up now when I tell her it's ok.

However... there's one chap who walks past, and me being me, and trying to get known as a friendly little shop, I smile at everyone who walks past.

He came in for the first time the other day and as he's foreign I can't understand a word he says and he gives me funny looks. I didn't have the dogs with me that day (I don't know if someone had been to take them out or something) and to be honest, felt pretty vulnerable!

Well today he came back and Eddy did his usual constant barking but even Takara wouldn't shut up when I said ok, she was still stood behind me grumbling and growling at him. She obviously knew I didn't trust him.

Well after we'd established that the dogs were not for sale, he left again but I'm so glad she's here with me!!

Eddy doesn't like it here but I've managed to find some day care for him while I'm at work now so starting next week he'll be spending the working day with a friend who recently lost her senile dalmatian and will love to have Ed around!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I know what you mean. I certainly miss my Jackjack. He was so suspicious of people he would grumble and growl at everyone,but generally would calm down if he sense I trusted them...But if they acted strangely or I became clearly nervous...He wouldn't shut up and would lunge and bark if they came near... It worried me that he never fully came to trust people, but I also felt so safe with him about. I know he saw off two burglars while I had him, bit one of them quite severely. But I was upstairs alone and in bed at the time, so if he hadn't seen the burglar off it could have been so much worse!

The three I have now have no such instincts... They trust everyone...
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Aren't dogs just fab?

Except when they're spraining your ankle, of course
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I would definitely take my dogs to work with me if I ran a shop and spent all day in it alone. Well done to the two spotties for showing this strange bloke what they are made of

I live in a cottage with no neighbours for at least a mile and a couple of weeks ago, a 4x4 with four dodgy blokes in it pulled up outside my house - (we also live up a single track) and I was so pleased my sheps were here, as they bark at new people until told to be quiet. The fellas were asking where the head gamekeeper lived (but I just had a feeling they were up to no good!), but said they weren't getting out of their vehicle because my dogs didn't look as though they'd had breakfast!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Haha Vicki, most definitely!

Moobli - it's so comforting to know they'll look after you isn't it.

They also make sure I don't get too many kids in the shop at any one time I can't keep an eye on all 10 kids at once so it's good to know half of them won't come in because of the spotties!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Whatever we say about them dogs instincts are never wrong, they can pick up on our vibes so well.
Inca is a great big softie but I am pretty sure she would not be happy if anyone threatened me.
As for Tonto, he would be torn between staying with me and running as he's a scaredy pants (don't tell Missy lol)

Good on Takara, and let's hope that's the last customer you have who makes you feel uncomfortable.

*wish I had a dog when I met my first hubby then they could've scared him off too*