Male 

15-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
That is EXACTLY how I like mine!
I am Berkshire Born and Berkshire bred. As you are, i believe Tang
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-11-2013, 01:30 PM
yeah but you wouldn't want to eat mushy weetabix day in and day out, your teeth would be in a real mess for a start and I shudder to think what it would do to the digestive system and the body.
One of the things I found most enlightening was that in the Government guidelines to commercial food manufacturers it states they may add anything as long as it doesn't cause instant death to the dog sooooo thats OK you can kill the dog over a period of time then
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
I am Berkshire Born and Berkshire bred. As you are, i believe Tang
East London actually Jeagi! However, once I'd been in Berks for more than 15 yrs I stopped saying I was 'from London' and just say 'Berkshire' lol!

My local shop gets my weetabix in for me! But I've always had it the same way - drenched in warm milk (well micro'd these days) and then coated with sugar so it was almost a 'crust' on it! And if it gets too hot - well chuck a bit of cold milk on top!

I've liked Weetabix for as long as I can remember. Occasionally try other stuff (but the remains of those are still in tupperware type dispensers) no such thing as long left over weetabix here!

*let you into a secret - when I was a kid I used to put thick butter on them and eat them like that too! (Boy does that make a mess when you eat it lol!)
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
After losing my boy to this I am so careful with what I feed (RAW) and always have water available and take some on a walk with me. I rest the dogs 2 hours before and after food and feed from the floor.

Just another word of warning, feeding kibble which contains citric acid (vitamin c ) should NEVER be soaked, as it makes the food fizz up which can cause gas. I dont know why they put this in food as like grains it is not needed.

I hope one day they will find the cause of this horrible condition.
Hi ...mum. It would seem there is no sense to Many many Dog food producers. It's just money and profits, to them.
Our governments are so slow to sort anything, we just have to do our own research. I use Arden Grange. I may change as i learn more from kind helpful people like we have
on here. We must keep sharing our knowledge as well as we can. By the way, i leave Rhodi's food to soak for at least an hour in the morning, and sometimes 2 - 3 hours in the evening. It will still take some more, just before i feed him. Sometimes he wont even have a drink straight after his dinner, so i am well pleased with that!x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
...[snip]...Hi ya Malka. I thought your little Princess may have caviar...and so she should!
Ahem, kibble and dinned are just occasional - she mostly has raw and today's was fish guts and jaws [do not ask] as her protein source! She does not burp but she can fart for Israel [no] thanks to all the veggies she eats!

Please give gorgeous Rhodi a huge hug from me. xx

Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
...[snip]...
One of the things I found most enlightening was that in the Government guidelines to commercial food manufacturers it states they may add anything as long as it doesn't cause instant death to the dog sooooo thats OK you can kill the dog over a period of time then
I watched/listened to a really good Webinar on "Feeding Your Dog and Cat For Optimum Health" presented by Dr Marge Chandler who was introduced as "one of the UKs leading Veterinary Nutritionists" [even though from her accent she is American] this last Monday evening.

At the start there was a poll of what the participants fed their dogs/cats on, ie tinned, kibble, mixed, home cooked, raw etc, and it was interesting to me that nearly 14% said they fed raw.

She went into details of all the "extras" and "additives" in commercial pet food, stating which was good and why, and what was just a selling point to make the food look better than it was. I am eagerly awaiting for the link to the recording as I really want to listen to certain parts again, plus I wanted to take a few screen shots of various charts and explanatory lists she put up but did not have Picasa open at the time.

I was particularly interested in what she had to say about raw feeding, obviously, and although she was quite positive about it, providing the dog or cat had supplements if necessary, she was another who is rather against bones, but did not harp on the subject.

Her main point regarding different types of food was not to take everything you read on the internet etc as being right - or wrong - but to check with a qualified dog/cat nutritionist if you have a query.

And I am pleased to say that she did not promote any brand of pet food and only one of the charts - showing shapes of dogs - was that of a pet food manufacturer.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2013, 01:58 PM
yeah but you wouldn't want to eat mushy weetabix day in and day out, your teeth would be in a real mess for a start and I shudder to think what it would do to the digestive system and the body.
tawney. There is nothing that i would trust or rely on from this Government, or any other government, except the fact that they will let us and our wonderful companions' down!
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2013, 02:02 PM
tawney. I would never trust this or any other government, to do waht isright for us...Or our wonderful companions.
The only thing that we can rely on..Ithat they will let us down, and lie!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-11-2013, 02:02 PM
And isn't that just the truth!!!!!
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2013, 02:06 PM
[QUOTE=tawneywolf;2758148]yeah but you wouldn't want to eat mushy weetabix day in and day out, your teeth would be in a real mess for a start and I shudder to think what it would do to the digestive system and the body.

tawney. We will always be let down by others. We must do our best for our wonderful companions.
We must keep learning more from each other. That why this post could be so interesting.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 07:09 PM
TW, I have to take tiny issue with you over the kibble thing. Jimmi can only have fish and vegetables, and yes, I could cook it up fresh each day for him but I worry about some aspects of this........missing those tiny sharp bones for example. I feed a very good salmon and potato kibble, which has no chemicals or additives except for seaweed, peas and green lip mussel extract. Yes indeed their teeth are designed for ripping up meat, and oh how he would LOVE to do this but unfortunately his allergies prevent it. He is also elderly and his teeth are not the best.........so although soaking his kibble beforehand does indeed turn it into mush, that is what is necessary for this particularly dog.

If his kibble was not soaked, he would gulp it down without chewing it and then drink copious amounts of water.....not good

So it's horses for courses as it were, and we must all do the best for our particular dogs.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >