Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 08:14 AM

Flash has (HGE) again ...

Flash (nearly 3yrs old) had diarrhoea on Saturday evening late, again overnight and during the day on Sunday. I gave him Antepsin, Codeine and Canikur which seem to do the trick. Yesterday he seemed fine and I gave him a very small amount of brown rice and steamed fish and then some of his Orijen kibble (softened) mid afternoon which he guzzled down. He appeared to be his normal bouncy self and played with his brother as normal.

During the afternoon while out in the garden he managed to grab and eat a large (3"x2" ish) 'dome' of moss which had come off our roof before I could get it off him. Flash and his brother both do this given the chance although I do check the lawn every time I go out. Both are dreadful scavengers which drives me insane.

Flash was sick around 11.30 last night but has fortunately still been drinking. He had two bouts of diarrhoea during the night the last of which was mainly just blood. I am confident that yesterday morning he was virtually over the tummy bug that a number of neighbours' dogs have had but his aggravated insides, plus the moss has cause him to develop Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) again. He had it in August (when we almost lost him) and once a dog has had it once they are more prone to it again and if you've witness it you don't mistake it again . He is very quiet but not worryingly so but as soon as the vets open I'll be there with him.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Oh Jenny I am so sorry, poor little Flash I hope he gets over it quicker this time. bless him.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Oh Jenny what a nuisance and poor Flash
I hope he is better soon.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
Flash (nearly 3yrs old) had diarrhoea on Saturday evening late, again overnight and during the day on Sunday. I gave him Antepsin, Codeine and Canikur which seem to do the trick. Yesterday he seemed fine and I gave him a very small amount of brown rice and steamed fish and then some of his Orijen kibble (softened) mid afternoon which he guzzled down. He appeared to be his normal bouncy self and played with his brother as normal.

During the afternoon while out in the garden he managed to grab and eat a large (3"x2" ish) 'dome' of moss which had come off our roof before I could get it off him. Flash and his brother both do this given the chance although I do check the lawn every time I go out. Both are dreadful scavengers which drives me insane.

Flash was sick around 11.30 last night but has fortunately still been drinking. He had two bouts of diarrhoea during the night the last of which was mainly just blood. I am confident that yesterday morning he was virtually over the tummy bug that a number of neighbours' dogs have had but his aggravated insides, plus the moss has cause him to develop Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) again. He had it in August (when we almost lost him) and once a dog has had it once they are more prone to it again and if you've witness it you don't mistake it again . He is very quiet but not worryingly so but as soon as the vets open I'll be there with him.
Oh NOOO!

Oh Jenny I am so sorry to hear this. After all the good care you've been taking of him and watching like a hawk and sleeping downstairs. What an absolutely horrible condition this appears to be.

I'm assuming you've no way of knowing whether any of the stuff he might have gobbled up when out made any difference to him getting this again - or whether he could just have come down with it anyway? (I'm thinking a bit like people I know who have IBS and however careful they are it returns). I'd never heard of this HGE before now.

Sending lots of love to you and Flash and everything crossed that he will be OK. I'm also assuming it is not contagious and it's quite obviously not something you can build up immunity to if you can get it again more easily once you've had it before (but am just off to read up on this awful condition).

**editing to say sorry about all the questions - have been reading about this now and it seems there are many theories but the exact cause is unknown. And any breed of dog can get it - male or female at the same rate. And as you say, once they've had it, are more susceptible to getting it again.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 08:48 AM
I'm really sorry to hear this Jenny. Good luck at the vets - I will keep everything crossed for you both and hope it can be dealt with quickly.
xxx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Poor boy, hope he is feeling better soon.
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Oh no Jenny So sorry to hear about poor Flash. Hope he gets over it quickly. (((Hugs))))
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 08:58 AM
So sorry to hear this, I hope he recovers quickly and that all goes well. I've got all my digits crossed!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Oh noo Jenny what a shame. Poor little Flash.
You must be at your wits end.
Thinking of you and sending hugs.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Oh Jenny, poor lad. Hope that he feels better soon
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »