Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-11-2013, 08:56 PM

Dog screaming in pain on getting up/down and walking

My neighbour's just taken her dog (a Rhodesian Ridgeback) into the emergency vets as he hasn't eaten all day and on his way home from his walk this morning he started yelping.

He's been in his bed all day and whenever he gets up he screams. When laying on the floor he is lifting his rear leg up (whichever one is not on the floor). This make me think it is an abdominal related issue. He trembles when you move your hand over his stomach gently, too.

They have gone to the vets, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about what might be going on? He's also suspected of having elbow elbow dysplasia but I don't think this is a joint issue. He yelps as he gets up, gets down and also while walking or being lifted.

I hope he's ok - he is such a lovely dog, I will be gutted if anything happens to him. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? If not positive vibes would be appreciated too.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Fingers crossed he'll be ok...poor boy
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
My neighbour's just taken her dog (a Rhodesian Ridgeback) into the emergency vets as he hasn't eaten all day and on his way home from his walk this morning he started yelping.

He's been in his bed all day and whenever he gets up he screams. When laying on the floor he is lifting his rear leg up (whichever one is not on the floor). This make me think it is an abdominal related issue. He trembles when you move your hand over his stomach gently, too.

They have gone to the vets, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about what might be going on? He's also suspected of having elbow elbow dysplasia but I don't think this is a joint issue. He yelps as he gets up, gets down and also while walking or being lifted.

I hope he's ok - he is such a lovely dog, I will be gutted if anything happens to him. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? If not positive vibes would be appreciated too.
I hate to say this, but the symptoms you describe are exactly what my old boy Hal suffered when he had septocaemia. He had had kidney stones removed, and unfortunately we believe his internal stitches busted and urine leaked into his body cavity, causing septocaemia.

In the case of this Rhodie, if he hasn't had any sort of surgery, then maybe it could be a perforated bowel or bladder. I am only guessing of course but the symptoms rang such a huge bell with me I had to say something just in case it helps.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2013, 09:56 PM
It does sound more gastro intestinal from what you say. In which case it could be a number of things. I mean if you've ever had kidney stones, appendicitis or gallstones you'll know it hurts just to breathe, let alone move.

Fingers crossed for him and do let us know.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Lord knows but fingers crossed sounds terrible for owners and dog.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks guys, my neighbour has just called me to say that the vet thinks he has a slipped disc, but there is a chance it could be spinal too. He screamed when the vet moved his head to the left.

They have given him some pain killers and have advised strict rest, but to go back if he gets worse.

I hope it is nothing serious, or the early signs of something like degenerative myelopathy - which is know to effect large breeds such as the Ridgeback.

Thanks for the posts and positive vibes
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2013, 10:23 PM
I am sorry to read this as I hate hearing about any dog screaming in pain. All I can do is send positive healing {{{{vibes}}}} as he clearly sounds very unwell.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the update Azz. Not sure if thats a good diagnosis or not. If he didn't have a trauma injury I wonder what has caused it then. Hopefully painkillers and rest will see him on the road to recovery .... poor lad.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2013, 06:51 AM
My Greyhound had an operation on his spine and made a good recovery, a disc had slipped and calcified, the vet had to use a hammer and chisel to get it away from his spinal cord. The closer to his head the problem is the more difficult to treat.

I will send the dog Reiki, I hope it helps him.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 08:00 AM
I hope he doesn't require surgery (they usually do use hammers and chisels - something like a snap on toolkit actually) to operate on discs.

I've only one experience of a dog with a 'bad back' and that was my Cavvy. She was in great distress - panting and wild eyed and screaming in pain when trying to get onto a chair or up the stairs (your friend's dog sounds worse though but is presumably a bigger, heavier dog too).

5 days of aspirin sorted my Cavvy (and stop her jumping on back legs or trying to climb) he said the heavy panting is because the pain makes her frightened. I couldn't believe it cleared up so quickly (but she milked it for ages afterwards pretending she couldn't get up the stairs). I hope your friend's dog can be made a lot better with meds or manipulation even and not require surgery.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >