View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2006, 09:04 AM
With my breed I have been told males are more laid back and the bitches harder work, I was told if I wanted a dog to work get a bitch if I wanted a pet I could do things with but would also be happy to just chill out at home get a male. I had already decided I wanted a male so this didnt effect my decision, and having never owned a Toller bitch I dont know how true this statement is but think it is very dependent on the breed and more importantly the individual dog!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2006, 09:21 AM
We've always had bitches (terriers). They do tend to be a bit more independent than the dogs, no bad thing in my opinion, and also a bit more sensible. I find dogs to be a bit more feather-brained and unpredictable (although equally lovely!) I've also heard that those roles reverse in different breeds.
Clob
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi not sure why you asked the question but I think maybe your mothers contemplating a dog for the futor.

If thats the case I suggest she thinks about an easy breed first and gender second CKC, Pugs, Bischons are not problematic breeds

...it all depends on the owner really but if they want a lap dog type (and thats what most people are suited to ) then definatly the breed and then the line give high probabilities of a dog which is more complient, M/F.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Clob
...it all depends on the owner really but if they want a lap dog type (and thats what most people are suited to ) M/F.
Hi Clob, reckon that statement may be challenged
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Personally Ive had more problems with dominant females than males.
It depends not only on the individual dogs personality but also on the owners personality, Ive come across plenty of dogs where the owner has described the dog as dominant but then when Ive watched them (dog and owner) interacting its the owner that has actually given the dog the dominant position....some dogs are not 'wired' to be dominant but if you dont give them leadership in your own actions with them they will 'assume the position' so to speak (not with every dog)....what you end up with is a dog that has basically adopted dominant behaviours which leads to a frustrated owner and a confused dog....which generally leads to problems.

As far as specific breeds are concerned, two of the most dominant males Ive ever worked with were a Boxer and a Maltese Terrier, with females....the worst were both Akitas, there was aggression with both of them also, just my own experience but dominance with aggression seems much more common in females than with males....with the males, while the Boxer was really tough to work with but other than 'holding' my ankles and arms he never showed any signs of aggression at all, no attempts to bite down, no growling really that I recall....he was also not like this with any male trainers or the male owner only with women, the Maltese wasnt too bad but his frustration during training led to a little snappy attitude....he was a biter before he came in though. Working with both these dogs....as a female....the work was more mentally exhausting than anything.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2006, 11:10 AM
I've had lots of different breeds and crossbreeds over the years all shapes and sizes and overall I would say bitches are the more dominant and males the more laid back.
mummysboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-07-2006, 12:04 PM
I have only ever had dogs in my lifetime of owning, labs and retrievers, and I have never met such laid back, soft mummysboys (hence my name)! One might say it is the breed. I can honestly say I have never had a dominant male, they seem to know their place straight away, always want loving but always giving 100% love back. Mine are good guard dogs without being aggressive, so maybe I have the perfect dogs.

My brother has an 18month old staffie bitch, whom he cannot control (maybe his fault), she is hyperactive, she bites and she absolutely rules the roost, but she had been allowed to do this in my opinion. So maybe I would think twice about a bitch.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2006, 01:14 PM
In the past few years I've owned 3 bitches and 1 dog (staffordshire bull terriers)

I found both sex's to be very laid back, anymore laid back and they'd have fallen over

I found 2 of the bitches really dominant over Jas but then again he was just a big baby
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all your replies It's good to know what you have experienced.

I am not planning on getting a dog for a long time, I was just curious really I've been trying to convince my mum that not all male dogs will push her around and wanted to check that I'm not lying to her

It sounds like most of you feel it is the other way round, that females are more hard work
Looking back now Brandie was a lot more stubborn than Bailey I never thought of it as because she was female though. I think it's just that my mum is not too confident (and a bit soft towards him )and Bailey has taken advantage a little! I don't think he is really "dominant" at all. I'm not sure about the other male dogs she has had as I wasn't born then!

I would rather go on what a breeder or rescue centre said was the most suited dog rather than on the sex. It is interesting to hear what you think though
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2006, 04:40 PM
We have had 2 dogs and 2 bitches and we found the bitches more aggressive and hard to train than the boys. However, all were rescues so had come from hard backgrounds. We found the bitches were more clingy and possessive, and the boys more independent and laid back.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >