Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2013, 04:26 PM

Natural yogurt for bad breath

forgive but didnt know which section to place this.someone i was talking to says she gives her dog a spoonfull of natural yogurt in with her dogs food, says it helps with their digestion also with their skin and best of all STINKY BREATH!! now bens breath can strip paint its eveil. i use a dog tooth paste on him (which he hates.) and a mouth freshner drops. its a wonder he hasnt taken my hand off both he hates.
so im hoping that it works. so ill start that tonight.
anything to get his breath a bit sweeter. sure something crawls in his mouth and dies each night.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2013, 05:42 PM
I've heard this too - something to do with the bacteria in natural yogurt. I haven't tried it though - let us know if it works, won't you?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Hi Cathy I hope the yoghurt works for you, I guess it really depends what is causing the bad breath . Please let us know if it does .

My Amy had bad breath when she got old and I used Logic Gel which seemed to help a lot though I found it it was quite expensive.

I squeezed it onto the roof of her mouth where she swished it around with her tongue.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2013, 08:31 PM
I was giving Peps yogurt for her tummy but it never did anything for her breath
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Little One had terrible breath even though I brushed her teeth about three times a week. She had bad teeth though and once she had had a number extracted her breath was fine.

Luckily Pereg has lovely strong teeth and being raw fed her breath does not smell at all. I wish I had known about raw feeding years ago.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2013, 09:18 PM
I would rather give a pre and probiotic intended for dogs rather than a dairy product we use, but that's just me.

I currently give Roxy, who benefits from a long term pre/probiotic supplement, YumPro (because it was a freebie) but have used Protexin Pro-Soluble with excellent results. She can be quite gurgly but the probiotics certainly help.

I give the YumPro along with Dorwest Herbs Digestive supplement. Certainly seems to help Roxy.

When the YumPro is finished, which will be soon, I plan to put her back on to Protexin Pro-Soluble again. For teeth cleaning I use Logic.

The bad breath could be caused by many things though, particularly dental health, sometimes diet, and not just an imbalance in the gut. Best to find out what's causing it if possible.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2013, 11:18 PM
well fed ben tonight and promptly forgot to add it to his food.(opps good start) so will do it tomorrow now. and yes ill let u all know. although im not sure on doing a *sniff* test to see weather sirs breath has improved lol
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2013, 07:15 AM
You could just have given him a couple of spoons after his dinner like a desert. My two adore natural yogurt.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Bella had a real dog breath problem despite having perfect teeth , I started using NEEM toothpaste on the daily brush about 6 weeks ago and no more doggy breath , its a natural vegetarian product and seems to have done the trick !
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2013, 03:37 PM
If you feed yogurt it needs to be bio-live to do any good.