Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2013, 06:36 PM

Concern for local dog/owner

On my way home from my parent's house which is down the road from me, I found a little cocker spaniel sitting on the verge next to the road. This is in the estate where I grew up, and luckily I knew who the dog belongs to as it didn't have a tag on it's collar. The lady who owns him has lived there as long as I can remember and was always very involved in community things and church things. I knocked on her door for ages with no answer, and went round the back of the house and could see she was inside but could raise her. Eventually she opened the front door, seemingly just having realised that the dog was missing as she clearly hadn't opened it expecting me to be there! I tried to explain that he had been out by the road and I'd been knocking for ages but she was very confused and couldn't really hear me. She took the dog in and shut the door.

Now, I certainly don't want to deprive this lovely lady of her dog, but I am concerned as I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time it's been out alone. I think she is getting confused in her old age and sometimes loses the dog. Is there anything I can do to try and make sure she gets some help? Also it worries me that the dog doesn't have a tag so when he does get out unless someone local spots him they'd have to go to the palava of dog wardens/vets to see if it is microchipped (I don't know whether it would be). I would have tried to advise her myself but I'm pretty sure my presence was spooking her and she didn't understand why I was interfering with her dog.

Is there any thing I can do?
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Maybe call social services and say you think she may need some help???
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2013, 08:56 PM
I can't see Social Services providing help on account of her forgetting whether her dog is inside or outside. I've heard of cases where older people really cannot manage on their own and still cannot get any help from SS.

If you are worried that the dog will be lost, I'd suggest a friendly word with the local dog warden who could maybe have a friendly word with the owner and get her to make sure it is wearing an address tag? She might be more amenable to someone with official ID?

Just a thought and of course he could tell her that her dog should not be out on its own (assuming that is the law?)
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Yeah I think maybe the dog warden is the sort of thing I was thinking. I don't know how friendly they are - they wouldn't take it away though would they? I don't want to be responsible for that.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2013, 11:45 PM
No I didn't mean on account of losing the dog, I mean for the lady herself, she sounds like maybe she isn't coping very well and may need some assistance, she was confused and not acting maybe as she would normally??
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2013, 06:56 AM
I guess you don't know about any relatives of her, or does she has children?
but when she was so involved in community and church things, why not telling the church about her case?

for the dog maybe the first you could do, just get such an address tag and give it to her as a little present of you for her dog

...and when she's so confused, maybe she isn't able to care for her dog properly?
hope he is still getting his fresh water and food regularly
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-04-2013, 09:08 AM
She sounds like my mother went, and she used to swear black was white she was taking her medication and there it was in all its little blister packs piling up, when I pointed it out to her, she said the chemist was giving her too many, so she could well be forgetting the dog completely and be convinced he is in the house, she has fed him, walked him, etc. So yes it is a cause for concern because it could be an indication that there is something gone very wrong. I think the idea of the church is a good idea because they have contacts in other areas, to be honest it is a social services job really in the long term, but they will do anything not to get involved, and she will convince them that she is fine, been there, worn the t shirt.
dixondog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
but when she was so involved in community and church things, why not telling the church about her case?

for the dog maybe the first you could do, just get such an address tag and give it to her as a little present of you for her dog

...and when she's so confused, maybe she isn't able to care for her dog properly?
Agree with all this can you speak to her neighbours? See if they know her relatives? Sounds like she needs help ,I would def speak to her church leader aswell,good luck
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi Jacqui, as this lady was so confused and it took ages to get her to answer the door, is it possible that she's had a stroke or do you just think she is very old etc. The other thing you could do is get the RSPCA involved because they would be allowed entry to her house, could at least check that the dog has food and water and they would insist that she gets a tag .... as its the law. Also if they felt she wasn't coping they would have easier access to social services that you would.

Only a thought, but well done for rescuing the little dog.

I hope little Pippa is still doing well.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post

That is a VERY good idea! And don't want to sound TOO heartless but I agree with your last point made and was thinking the same myself. That obviously no one would like to think of the old lady having her dog forcibly removed (assuming she remembers she has a dog) but if the SAFETY and welfare of the dog is at risk - hard as it sounds - it doesn't deserve to be neglected or at risk because the owner doesn't still have all her faculties working properly all the time.

A dog at risk is a dog at risk - it is not more or less at risk depending on the type of person who owns it in any given situation - i.e. like this one - left out on the street and forgotten about.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >