Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2014, 10:26 PM

Head Halters?

What is your opinion on them? Do you think they are more humane than the other types of "training collars" people use on dogs? Do you think they work better? Do you or have you used one? Any comments welcome.

I have never used one but I have seen dogs snatch on them and their heads turn sideways and it does look quite painful.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2014, 11:30 PM
I used one with great success when Tyler was about 9/10 months, up until he was a year, a year and a half maybe. As they should be, I used TWO leads connected, one to the actual halti itself, the other to his collar. When he pulled I controlled the lead attached to his halti by directing him back to the position I want him, bringing him back to my side. When he was in the right position I controlled him with the lead attached to his collar. Used in this way I found it virtually impossible for him to run to the end of the lead and snap his head back as I was in full control the whole time. I've heard people say they cause neck injuries before, but I'd assume that's with improper use and/or people allowing their dog to roam up ahead on a long line/flexi or something, which should NEVER be used with a halti.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2014, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have a nasty puller but she does fine when with my other dog and when on a harness instead of a normal collar.

When I was a child, I used a choke chain with very little success. Dog yanked and yanked and when his tongue turned blue and he could barely breathe and was coughing... THEN we got a rest. Useless indeed. Would never use one now, of course.

There is one thing that seems universal... despite what "training collar" people use. The people who use them always say...

"If used properly, they are a great training tool."

Prongs, shocks, chokes, martingales, head halters. All users of them say that same thing, so I'm always skeptical of them.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2014, 07:47 AM
I have used one fine with Tonks, although she doesn't like it because she would rather pull. If you introduce them positively, similar to muzzle training, then it should be ok. However they should be used for calm lead walking, and never ever on a flexi lead. The dog really shouldn't be able to get up enough speed to have their head whipped back round. They often pressure on calming pressure points anyway.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the reply Catrin. I am not going to bother training Jade at this point so I have no real use for the devices. I was just wondering what experiences people have had with them.

I manage old Jade just fine and her pulling is manageable because she is no longer strong and has little stamina, so she burns herself out rather quickly. I don't use a flexi lead on Jade ever, BTW.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2014, 12:54 PM
One that correctly fits, is carefully introduced and with a dog that happily accepts them, they can be a great tool to aid with training.

As with all equipment it's 'horses for courses'. For some they work great and are very kind, for others it's just the opposite
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-03-2014, 02:33 PM
I used them on the Dobermanns when they were young and I was teaching them to walk to heel, once they'd grasped the concept I stopped using them. So yes I found they worked on a behaviour that wasn't really established and it was a useful tool but neither I or the dogs liked them. Syd used to spend more time trying to get the thing off so had no time to think about pulling. Rio pretty much accepted it and once she was walking nicely I unclipped it and she'd be walking on the normal collar and lead although still wearing the gentle leader. With Diesel his face isn't really built for a head collar but although he pulls on collar and lead he walks very nicely on a normal harness and lead. I usually train all my pups on harnesses anyway.
2Greys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Have been a great help with 2 of my dogs, they walk nicely most of the time its just when they get excited seeing prey like cats or squirrels I need that extra control, most my neighbours own cats so can be a gauntlet going along the street for walks. Had tried double ended lead to collar & no-pull harness before but dog put lot more effort pulling against it than the headcollar & can get attention to move on quicker. Even flat collar can cause injury just have to be sensible with using appropriately.