Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 09:13 AM

Chewing

We've had Dougal since the back end of January, he has always slept downstairs in the living room and seemed quite happy. But I was signed off in the middle of February for 2 weeks and since I went back to work he has started chewing stuff he shouldn't. Mind you my son will insist on leaving his toys lying around...

Anyway, he doesn't do it every night, but it is rather frustrating that he didn't do it before and now he is doing it. He never does it when we are in the living room so I'm guessing it's a slight case of separation anxiety, but taking him upstairs is unacceptable as the poor lad snores too loudly for anyone else to get sleep.

We are contemplating either a cage or shutting him in the downstairs toilet over night (once Charlie the guineapig is outside). I'm just worried he will chew something quite expensive....

Any ideas?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 11:41 AM
mmnnn
it does sound like seperation anxiety, perhaps a kong or something for him to specifically chew might be a good idea to see if that contains his chewing, Knowing staffies it probably wont,

hope someone else can help to suggest something - Bruno only chews toys for attention - and even then he rarely does it....usually only if we have visitors in.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
mmnnn
it does sound like seperation anxiety, perhaps a kong or something for him to specifically chew might be a good idea to see if that contains his chewing, Knowing staffies it probably wont,

hope someone else can help to suggest something - Bruno only chews toys for attention - and even then he rarely does it....usually only if we have visitors in.
Heh, he has a big rawhide chew, a ring shaped rawhide chew, a rubber ring, a dry bone, another dry bone, a kong, and an old teddy Davie gave him. They are all on his bed when we go to bed. Maybe filling the kong would help....
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 11:59 AM
MMnn yes well as i said staffies like to chew PMSL...

Try filling the kong with something really tasty - stick in in freezer and then give it to him before bedtime and hopefully he will have to spend so long licking and chewing he will zonk !!!

as for all the chews- perhaps like a child you could put some away and bring them out at different times so that its like a new chew after a few weeks of not having it ???

I do this with my 15 month olds toys and it seems to kepe him interested
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
MMnn yes well as i said staffies like to chew PMSL...

Try filling the kong with something really tasty - stick in in freezer and then give it to him before bedtime and hopefully he will have to spend so long licking and chewing he will zonk !!!

as for all the chews- perhaps like a child you could put some away and bring them out at different times so that its like a new chew after a few weeks of not having it ???

I do this with my 15 month olds toys and it seems to kepe him interested
Ahhh, thank you so much, I never would have thought to put Kong in the freezer, wow. Maybe he is bored with having the same chews all the time. Good thinking. Will tidy up today.

Thank you loads!