Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deja
New Member!
Female 

07-05-2007, 06:47 PM

chasing birds

Hi,

Jess is an 8 year old dog who has recently come to live with us. She has a wonderful nature and fitted in very well, but I do have one problem.

I have a lot of bird feeders outside and encourage birds of all kinds to come and feed in my garden.

Jess doesnt like birds, whenever she sees one land on the floor she will chase them away.

This may not seem like a big problem to most, but as I have never come across this problem before and for the last goodness knows how many years my garden has been a bird friendly environment, I am now worried about the fledglings that are coming down to feed with their parents.

I have my back door open all day and Jess has free run of the house and garden.

If I call 'No Jess' she will come straight back and then ignore them all the time I am there but I do know that she will chase when she thinks I am not looking. I have rewarded her for not chasing them and said 'good girl' and given her a treat.

All I want to know really is will she eventually learn to do the right thing even when not being watched. I know I could close the door or take the feeders down but dont want to do that unless it is a last resort. Can an older dog learn new tricks or not??
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Unfortunately some dogs are prey driven (some more than others) and some merely see it as a chance to play a game (of sorts).

Of my dogs, I have one who never looks at a bird and one that chases birds and their shadows !
Deja
New Member!
Female 

07-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Thank you Malady,

I guess I should have said she was a black labrador and border collie cross. Luckily she is not too quick and hasnt caught anything yet but bombards the bushes looking for them once she sees them fly. The thing is too that I have no idea if she was encouraged to do this in her last home.

I will keep trying and see what happens for a while, I may just have to put a baby gate up whilst the young birds are around, when she cannot be supervised, we will find a way. It would be such a shame to not let her have the freedom of the garden, she does love it.
Lozzy100
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2007, 08:10 PM
I have one dog that chases birds, she does it when ever she sees one, and barks like crazey at them, too my little pooch it is a game, i dont think she would ever hurt one,,,some dogs just see it as a game, i dont think your little pooch would harm it, and to behonest i dont think it is something that she has been taught i think it is inbuilt instinct too chase. And not sure if it is something that can be stopped, i call my pooch back when she starts barking at birds as it gives me abit of a headache, esp when the other 3 decide it is a good game to join in with the barking..lol, not sure what to sugest really, i think it is a case of you accepting that this is the way she is. Have you spoke to a dog behaviourist? they could help.

Good luck x
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 08:11 PM
I too had numerous bird feeders in the garden - until my Harvey arrived and took a liking to the bird food!! which obviously gave him an upset stomach ( pigeons knocked food off table )

Neither boys will bother with the birds, but my old boy used to chase all the birds - and never grew out of it - it was too much fun!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 08:18 PM
One of my dogs ( another lab X incidentally) brought me a fledgling once as a gift, he hadn't hurt it, he was just very proud of it. I told him to drop, took him inside, left the bird to recover and off it flew.
A babygate sounds liek a good way forward, at least when their are vulnerable youngsters around...will he ever be totally trustworthy when you are not there to watch him????? ummmm, he ahs the herding insticyt of a collie and a labs instinct to hold soemthing in his mouth...I fear he may never be 100% but it sounds like you are doing all the right things. At this time of year you are probably just going to have to be extra careful with him.
Deja
New Member!
Female 

07-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks everyone,

I havent had a dog before who chased birds so was a first for me. When she has chased them they come back after a couple of minutes and it doesnt seem to bother them at all.

I was worried that she will catch one, but maybe I should watch and see what happens if I leave her, maybe it is just fun and she wouldnt really catch one. She has a very very gentle mouth and is very careful if she takes anything from your hand. She has a passion for carrying things and always has a stick or toy in her mouth.

I will take extra care while the fledglings are there but will try leaving her once they are up and away, maybe (fingers and toes crossed) she wont be doing it by then, but if she is I will have to accept it.

I havent spoken to a dog behaviourist but may in the future, I have only had her for a few weeks and she is doing so well in other things I will see how she copes with new instructions first. I think it is not a behaviour problem so much as you have all said, an imbuilt instinct. I will just have to be patient.

Thanks everyone, I am really grateful for your comments.