View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sumbear880
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-01-2007, 07:15 PM

CHEWED STUFF WHILE I WAS GONE...what should i do?

Well, I need some advice on what to do about my dog finding stuff and chewing it while I was gone. This is the first time in 2 weeks that she has ever done this. I think it was because I didn't take her to the park today. We usually go for our walk then come home and take a little nap, then wake up and go to the park. But today it rained so it was muddy and wet outside so I didn't take her to the park. I went out to have lunch with my Aunt and came home about 45mins later to find a chewed up water bottle from the trash, a chewed Marker, and some chewed up paper from the water bottle. Just curious on what I should do. I would NEVER hit her, so I know NEVER to do that. But I need some advice on how to disipline her or what to do.
Any advice or suggestions??
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2007, 07:21 PM
No point worrying about whats already done, forget that. I'd just make sure as much as possible that she's well excrsised before you leave her. Also leave her stuff to play with, stuff she's allowed to chew, toys etc. A "Kong" or similar is a good idea too, filled with treats to keep her occupied. And then the obvious, don't leave anything lying about within reach (as much as possible ofcourse)
Sumbear880
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-01-2007, 07:23 PM
she had all of her chew toys there. DOn't know why she did that. I told her "No NO" when i found everything chewed and showed it to her. She knew she was wrong.
I guess theres no disipline or anything to do for her?
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Nope..... I use a sharp "No" on my two as well when needed. Fortunately there hasn't been many occations when they chewed stuff... one or two instances but not many. Have you tried a Kong? I find them brilliant for keeping the boys amused when I'm out. You can fill them with all sorts stuff and freeze it, they spend ages trying to get the filling out
Sumbear880
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-01-2007, 08:10 PM
oh ok...well yes I use a firm NO when needed also. But the same goes for me...shes a good dog and doesnt chew stuff. Thats why i was surprised when I walked in and saw she chewed stuff. I was shocked.
What is a KONG? And where would i find one?
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2007, 08:17 PM
It's a strong rubber toy, hollow so you can put in a filling or treats. It's shaped so your dog can get stuff out, but not too easily, thus keeping him/her busy. Most good petshops would have them... I see your in the USA but I'd imagine they are as common there...
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Here's a link to the Kong Company's web site. Will give you an idea of what they are and where to find them.

www.kongcompany.com
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Good link Wuffy... having a nosey on there myself
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Good link Wuffy... having a nosey on there myself
Yeah, they have some new ones out
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2007, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Sumbear880 View Post
she had all of her chew toys there. DOn't know why she did that. I told her "No NO" when i found everything chewed and showed it to her. She knew she was wrong.
I guess theres no disipline or anything to do for her?
Hi Sumbear chewing is normal behaviour for a dog, they need to keep their teeth in good condition and jaws exercises and supple in order to obtain food should the need arise, punishing a dog for natural behaviour is unfair, instead provide a substitute activity . If your dog is a puppy she will need to chew as part of the teething process. Dogs also chew because they are not receiving sufficient exercise and mental stimulation.

Saying no when you find things chewed means nothing to your dog, she will be aware you were displeased with her but won't know why unless you express displeasure when you catch her in the act. I notice you say your dog missed her walk so on this occasion the chewing could have been a displacement activity because your dog was bored.

As the others have suggested a kong (filled with food taken from the daily food allowance then frozen) makes an excellent diversion from chewing other things.

The large 'Nylabones'impregnated with a beef smell are good too as are the puzzle balls that let a small piece of kibble out at a time
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >